What would you recommend as the best "configuration" for SMC Fan Control?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mr.stinki, Aug 19, 2009.

1. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I'm currently rocking a 15'' unibody MBP, and decided to download SMCFanControl, but I'm wondering what would be the best way to configure the application. Should I make it so the fans kick in as soon as it starts to get warm in there, or should I let it get a bit hot? Do the fans use up a lot of battery power?

My main request here is for you guys to give me your Base Speed, Lower and Upper Threshold.

Thanks in advance!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I have smc running my fans at 2600rpm even if my Mac is cool. If you Mac ever needs a higher fan speed because of heat, don't worry, smc kicks in to boost up fan speed.

3. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I have mine almost exactly the same! The "new default" that I have is 2500, sometimes I can hear it though, but usually it helps keep the idle down around 105ºF

4. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

I have 3 levels. Default:2000, Higher:4000, Highest:6200

If I'm plugged in, it runs on Higher, is unplugged, Default.
    If I see the laptop is getting a little warm, I turn it up to Highest

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It's personal preference. There is nothing really wrong with the built-in controller, at least on my machine. (YMMV here, I've heard some scary stories of some Apple fan control schemes). Set it what you feel is a good balance between heat and noise.