What would you? Stuck/dead pixel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brandon.herer, Dec 13, 2014.

1. brandon.herer macrumors newbie

Bought my 6 Plus about 20 days ago. Everything is perfect cosmetically and functionally and the screen uniformity is 100%.

I downloaded the dead pixel spotter app the other day and noticed that I have a dead pixel near the center of my screen on two colours (red and green). It's not terribly noticeable but now I notice it if I look for it depending on the image on my screen.

Should I go to apple and ask for a screen replacement or am I asking for trouble?

2. fsfty macrumors member

You already went looking for trouble when you downloaded an app to find a problem you didn't notice to begin with.

3. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Yes. I would return. Honestly it's best to look for dead pixels early on so you can get a brand new replacement rather than noticing it on down the ownership and not being able to get it remedied.

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

5. louisebelcher macrumors newbie

louisebelcher

^ Agreed. You will never be satisfied with your device... you seem like the kind of person who will invent some "problem" and keep returning device after device... like a lot of people on MacRumors :rolleyes:

6. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Yes a dead pixel is an invented problem.

God I will never cease to be surprised by some of the arrogance on display here. Especially coupled with the frequent and liberal use of the stupid rolleye emoticon.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If it isn't very noticeable, I'd probably keep it. YMMV.

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

you'll probably have to make a genius bar appointment after 20 days. if you can show the dead pixels to the technician they'll replace the phone. now the thing is, if you're gonna see any issues with the replacement (which will be a new device, they just come in blank boxes with no accessories). I would make a genius bar appointment, also if you purchased it at an apple store just try walking in and asking if you can exchange. but do both.

9. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

What's the nest way to check for dead pixel w/o an app? Is there a certain solid color background I should use? Thanks.

10. fsfty macrumors member

This is ridiculous. Why are people trying to find issues? Honestly, this isn't normal behavior.

11. brandon.herer thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't I just opt for screen replacement instead of new phone?

12. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

apple stores don't have screen replacements for 6's since its so new.

Even in late june they did not have screen replacements for 5s.

i'm pretty sure its due to the touch id. although they never told us why even being an employee

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I agree with both points really. The OP admittedly didn't notice any issues until he went scouring for them. I bet I could find something wrong with my phone too (perhaps more minor than a dead pixel, perhaps not).

On the other hand, a dead pixel is absolutely annoying and, once you notice it, it's tough not to see it every single stinking time. The OP doesn't even seem to have that problem though; he stated that he only notices it sometimes.

I guess my question would be, "how often are you bothered by it?" That's really only a question the user/owner of the device can answer. I used to be way pickier with my devices. I realized that I get a new one every year anyway, so I would have to be really bothered by a flaw for it to cause me to exchange.

----------

If they're able to do it at your store. Some stores, AFAIK, don't do that. They can ship it out though, based on what I have read here.

14. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

LOL! Blame OP… It got me wondering (pixel-gate) myself since I acquired a 6+ today. :D

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Red, Orange, Green, Blue, Black screens. I am sure you can just search "dead pixel checker" in google and it will bring you sites that will do it.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIA_4nV-CqE

Quick search, Might work. Havent tried.

16. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

no screen replacements for phones so new, i don't know who you heard this from but as a former employee who worked at the genius bar. nope nope nope. we never even got 5s screens. maybe now there are, but for a phone this new.. nox100. its an entire phone replacement

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Plenty of people here stated they got their cracked screens replaced. I know they replace 5S screens at the store near me for a fact.

18. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Thank you Lord. Will do that now.

19. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

maybe recently yes. since i have not worked there for about 5 months, but in late june, early july our apple store did not have display replacements for the 5s

----------

i also doubt this early after a new phone has been released they have display replacements for 6 and 6 plus devices. its never happened before

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This is why I said I suspect all stores are different. You stated they didn't do replacement on 5S when I know they do. I can;t say what's going on with the 6 and 6 plus since I have no personal experience. I can say that I have read of it here more than once. Are people lying? I really can't say. I did try to state clearly the part of my statement that was based on what other posters have said. All I can do, really.

----------

Seems ok. I have no idea how conclusive a test it is. I can say that my screen looked fine, for whatever that may be worth lol.

21. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

from past experiences over 4 launches they have never had display replacements this soon, thats all i'm saying. and especially since the glass is curved now, i'm sure its more expensive than the 149 they used to do for regular iPhone 5 displays.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I wasn't aware they had an in store replacement program four launches ago. I thought it just recently rolled out something like a year or two ago? I must have my dates in my head mixed up? Anyway, not trying to argue, though I have to wonder why some folks claimed otherwise (about the in store repairs).

Anyway, the repair costs are as follows, directly from Apple:

Kind of odd that the 6 is cheaper than every other model, but that's what's up there.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

EDIT: Based on this article they started in store repairs two years ago. Was your store a pilot project or something?

23. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

maybe they fixed their *expletive* over the past few months. a few months ago at my store it was 149 for 5 and 5c. that seems weird its gone down. especially for the 6 and 6 plus. but oh well. better for everyone! now.... the only thing is what stores in the states have those parts. thats the bigger question.

for that article. i know that machine all too well.... that was july 31 of this year, right before i left. so yes i'm sure most stores were able to replace 5s screens soon. but for the 6 and 6 plus. I'm sure it takes time to roll out displays. but this soon? kind of hard to believe. look how long it took for the 5s, I'm sure it'll be quicker but i doubt this soon. especially since those machines weren't really made for the width of the new phones.

for those other questions. i'm not allowed to publicly answer them.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I think it's confusing enough as it is to have to wonder whether the store can repair your phone on site or not. It honestly makes me wonder why they rolled the program out in the first place (admittedly with very little fanfare). Being that it doesn't seem to be ubiquitous, it's sort of "un-Apple" (I hate when people use that term and there I go using it) to have differing experiences at differing stores.

----------

About the pilot program? Fair enough. It's just it certainly wasn't public for more than two years or so. 2+2 = 4. Etc. ;)

25. brandon.herer thread starter macrumors newbie

So what do I do guys? I don't want a replacement phone.. The pixel is noticeable when looking for it, but then again I had the phone for three weeks before finding it.. Now it's easy to spot