What wrong with my Tiger bootable clone?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Vegeta-san, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Long story short: I upgraded to Leopard but before doing so, cloned my Tiger disk using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner). In a desperate attempt to get OS X Migration Assistant to recognize my bootable Tiger, I used Disk Utility to find out the drive holding the Tiger clone had errors and after much trouble, eventually repaired it.

The only thing I noticed that was different before and after the repair was this: Before the repair, I could restart my Mac, hold down option, and boot straight into Tiger just like the day I left it. It had my login icon and when I clicked it, it only asked for a password. Now, attempting to boot into Tiger gives me no screen with my user picture, and strangely enough, it asks for my password AND User name. I've tried every user name I can think of that SHOULD work and the password that I know definitively and Tiger is not letting me in

....I've included a picture taken from my phone of the log in screen (Notice the strange overhang from what looks to be another window below it. I've clicked to no avail). This is so weird. Because in Leopard, if I connect the drive housing the Tiger clone, I can peruse thru my Tiger disk all I want and grab whatever I wish. But what I need to do can only be done by booting straight into Tiger...Which it's not letting me. Any advice as to why Tiger is being such a pain in the ass now?

Attached Files:

2. unity macrumors 6502a

Try the short name... no spaces, etc...

As for the drop window behind, that happens in Tiger, but not always. Not sure what it is but I had it many times and just ignored it.

edit: Oh and if you boot from the Tiger install disc you can open password utility and reset the passwords/see the accounts available.

3. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Gold advice! Thanks Unity! I will most definently try this when I get home...Thanks again! I hope it works!

4. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright man, tried both of your tips. Neither worked. The password utility off the Tiger disc did not even recognize ANY users in the Tiger clone. I hate this. I don't know how in the hell repairing a drive corrupted my user account/password login, but it did. I don't know how the hell this is happening when I can perfectly see the drive under Leopard and access all its contents. The only thing that strikes me as odd as I look thru the Tiger disk is that the Guest account is restricted (the red circle things by it). I've included a picture of this. And have also tried booting into Tiger and logging in as "Guest" with my password. Did not work. Anyone have anymore advice please!

5. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys, any tips here? I really don't want to have to call my Tiger partition FUBAR. Any other ideas? What can I do to the Tiger partition in single user mode that has any significance?

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Make sure permissions are enabled on the Tiger partition. (Finder>GetInfo uncheck "ignore permissions"). I'm not sure how that would affect migration, but it usually causes problems when trying to boot.

7. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm...And I can do this to the Firewire drive from within Leopard(as I can't boot into Tiger)...?

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yes - from the Finder. Select the Tiger volume, then Get Info. It should be at the bottom of the info window.

When you select the partition in Disk Utility, it will show "Owners Enabled: Yes"

Attached Files:

9. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have that button....Odd, huh?

Attached Files:

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I don't either on the TM drive. It's probably because there's specific (user) access privileges set.

It should show as "Owners Enabled: Yes" in Disk Utility. Nothing to change.

It was a shot in the dark anyway.

I know it's a 20/20 hindsight recommendation, but I've had less than stellar results with CCC starting several years ago (I tried the latest, too, and it had even more bizarre behavior when using it to clone a specific folder). I've found Disk Utility, which uses Apple Software Restore (ASR), to work perfectly for a full, bootable, image backup. I boot from either another image backup, or just use the install disk and run Disk Utility from there. The main reason for that is to use block-copy, which is much faster than file copy. It has to unmount both the source and destination volumes, so you can't run Disk Utility on the same disk that is being imaged.

I haven't tried SuperDuper!, so I can't comment on it. Looks like mostly good reviews, from what I've read.

11. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

I have, and it is :p

But have also used CCC notta problemo either.......

12. John Sawyer macrumors newbie

Get Info window and "Ignore ownership on this volume" checkoff

Vegeta-san--in case you subscribed to get email updates to this thread:

You probably did have the checkbox, in the Finder's Get Info window, for "Ignore ownership on this volume"--the picture you supplied, doesn't show the bottom of the Get Info window--you need to scroll to the bottom of the Get Info window to see that checkbox. I usually collapse the icon preview in the Get Info window so it doesn't take up room, and usually allows the entire Get Info window to show without scrolling.