What's a good hosting company?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by csnplt, Dec 2, 2009.

1. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

I'm looking for a web host. Cost is a concern, so cheaper is better, but I also would like quality service and most importantly, reliability.

Right now, I don't have much traffic, but I'd like the ability to grow freely without worrying about exceeding any limits. This is to showcase my iPhone applications.

Has anyone heard of iPage? That seems like a pretty good deal, but I couldn't find any reviews that weren't just trying to get referral money.

Thanks in advance.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Check the sticky at the top of this forum, there are some links there. Or head over to Mroogle and do a search for "cheap webhost."

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Web Hosting Talk will answer any question you could ever possibly have about web hosting :).

Are you looking for a PHP based host? Ruby? Which database do you need (if any at all)?

4. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

As of now, I don't need any database, but it probably would be good to have PHP for any possible future needs. Basically, I only need very basic features like FTP, but I need reliability, and I would prefer either high data transfer limits or unlimited transfer.

Thanks for your reply.

5. A.list.face macrumors newbie

6. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

Anyone have experience with Hasweb? That looks interesting.

7. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

bluehost, hostmonster, godaddy, just some. see what you need. do a google search for top 10 web hosting and you should find some good lists.

8. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

x10 seems to work for me. Cheap and fast. My site (in my signature) is up 99% of the time, and I like the support and the control panel and ftp rocks.

9. star-fish macrumors regular

I've used Dreamhost.com for nearly 10 years now and can thoroughlu recommend them. And they have an excellent referral program. Google around or reply here and I can get you a massive discount.

10. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I have been using DreamHost. If you google around, you can get really good discount coupons (like your first year getting a $97 discount).

11. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Actually that's bad advice. A huge majority of the hosting companies in those, so called "top" lists are paying to be there.

The best way to find a host is forums like this one where 100s of people can recommend and not recommend certain ones. It can be painful task finding a host, but it's worth finding a good one.

12. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I've used ICDSoft for my clients for the past 10 years or so.

13. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Same here. I've been very happy with both ICDSoft's service and customer support.

14. Flybye macrumors regular

I've been using GoDaddy for 5+ years and have also referred a few people to them and they have all been extremely happy.

Their tech support have always been great, too.

15. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

GoDaddy ftw. I know many people who constantly recommend them. great deals too.

16. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

MobileMe!
    Hahaha, just kidding!

Network Solutions
    (Better than GoDaddy in my opinion.)
    They've been industry leaders for a long time and they don't try to up-sell you on extra BS.

17. snberk103 macrumors 603

I've been using Doteasy.com for a number of years now, and have no complaints. Anyone who has taken my recommendation and used them have never complained to me, so I assume they are happy too.

They have a free hosting option that includes lots of extras. For a small business, their free option is usually enough. They also have paid options that add capacity. Every once in while (on holidays, eg) they have sales on domain registrations.

Support has been good. Reliability has been good. Price is good. They are based in Greater Vancouver, which has a number of high tech centres so there is good connectivity to the internet backbone.

I have no connections to Doteasy, except as a happy customer.

18. danwri macrumors newbie

19. iowamensan macrumors 6502

I use HostGator.com
    been happy with them so far

20. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I'll send my vote HostGator's way--I've had an account with them for about 1 1/2 years--reliability at a good price.

21. etravian macrumors newbie

I've had great luck with e-rice.net. For $10 per YEAR, you get 100MB space and plenty of bandwidth. You can upgrade to double or triple that for $20 or $30, respectively, and there's a la carte options as well. The person that runs the hosting is responsive to requests, which is really nice. I've never had an uptime issue. In short: it's cheap, no frills, and quite reliable.

22. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I use fatcow.com. I cannot say enough good things about them. Great company, good looking website, easy to use and organized website with an intuitive Control Panel. Best of all, their customer service is the best I have experienced ever. You file a question (they call it ticket), and a rep will answer within 12 hours solving my problem no matter what the question was.

Before I was using godaddy, probably the worst choice a consumer can make..

23. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

I'll have to respectively disagree. I've been with Dreamhost for around 2 years and I've had constant slowness and for about 2 months I'd get lost connections pretty regular. I've tried to submit trouble tickets complaining about database speed and they'll deny there's an issue.

I'm about to switch to HostGator myself. I put a client on HostGator and was thoroughly impressed. I in fact had my dev site on Dreamhost doing the same thing on the prod/client site on HostGator, doing the same DB queries, and HostGator was twice as fast. And like I said above, when I submitted a trouble ticket to Dreamhost, they blew me off.

24. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

I've been using godaddy for 3 years and have been very happy with them, the price is great, and their customer service has always been helpful.

25. JaneSeville macrumors newbie

If you're looking for low cost hosting and good support I recommend FastDomains.com I just started a hosting review site, and I'm hosting it with Fast Domains. They take pride in their tech support, it's usually answered in three rings. That's fast!

PS - I'm not affiliated with them, and didn't use an affiliate link in my answer. Just trying to help.