What's A GOOD Screen Protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Jul 21, 2008.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

i used a hard plastic case on my iphone, but i need something for the screen, but i think the invisible shield makes the screen not as smooth. i want something that makes it feel like it does when its glass.

i dont want something that makes it non smooth. i need something that is similiar to the glass feel

2. sye46 macrumors member

This is probably the best crystal shield out there and is way cheaper than some that are selling for $15

http://www.marware.com/PRODUCTS/iPhone-3g-cases/protective-film

its crystal clear, BUT just like glass, you can see finger prints, smudges, and oil.

Personally, I had it, and I can't stand all the fingerprints and smudges... so I went with Best Skins Ever. It is the same material as Zagg and only costs $8 for front and back.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/the-88/iPhone-3G-Skin/Detail

3. theotherrogue macrumors regular

BodyGuardz is the clearest and smoothest. Hands down the best!

4. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

5. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Bodyguardz looks good but how do you apply the screen protector and why do you need a application solution. That scares me a little bit. I don't like the idea of rubbing some solution all over the front of my iPhone. :eek:

By the way I also bought the crystal screen protectors from apple store and I really don't like them. They put a matt kind of finish on the screen that I really hate. Oh well 15 bucks down the drian and I will look for so something the does not dull the screen.

6. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

from what i understand, the bodyguardz are "sticky/ tacky" so to diffuse this "stickiness" you use the application solution. enabling you to move the screen around etc. thats also why you put it on your hands before applying it, to stop the covers from sticking to you.

7. sye46 macrumors member

no, its not. it has a orange peel texture too it. that actually sounds worse than it really is though... it is the same as invisible shield. I really like it now. i used to have the crystal film and I HATE the fingerprints and smudges.

8. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

9. Shad0w59 macrumors member

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

DLO Anti Glare films at Best Buy. 5 for 14.99. Just as good as Power Support but you get 5 and unlike Power Support these films cover the ENTIRE screen.

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

PowerSupportUSA.com Crystal Film Set, had one for my original iPhone, have one now for my 3G.

12. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

This is true. It's just a solution of water and baby shampoo (says it right on the solution container). Also, the instructions state to spray the solution on your hands and the film, not the iPhone directly. After I sprayed the film, I let the excess drip off before applying.

I bought Bodyguardz due to this ilounge review, which said it was the best looking compared to Invisible Shield and Best Screens. I'm happy with my purchase.

13. sneeks macrumors 6502a

14. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

I have actually owned PowerSupport Crystal, IS, Belkin and Bodyguardz. Out of all of them I feel Bodyguardz is the best.

PowerSupport Crystal - Very nice protector, but shows finger prints too much!

IS - Don't like the texture of the film. But if you don't mind and get a discount code, then you may be tempted.

Belkin - What a waste of money!

Bodzguardz - Strong. Crystal clear screen. Fits to the whole screen. Installs can be tricky at times, but be patient.

15. kclynn49 macrumors newbie

I purchased the Ghost Armor screen protectors (haven't installed yet, still waiting for them to arrive).

does anyone know how much of a sticky residue will remain on the screen if/when they are ever removed? thanks for any response...

16. D35P3R4T0 macrumors member

Im sold on getting the Bodyguardz iPhone protector...but can you just buy the screen protector part only? thats the only part i want/need. i dont need the part that covers the back...

17. crotalus99 macrumors regular

I bought Bodyguardz as well. The front goes on smooth with little problems but to get it onto the round back was a major pain. I ended up trimming the edges to make it fit. I do like it a lot though, because you don't know it's there.

The solution is water and baby shampoo and evaporates fairly quickly.

18. slate1 macrumors regular

I'm just curious - have you guys witnessed any any actual damage to the iphone screen?

I was convinced that I needed a protector, then saw the PCWorld Torture Test where the guy takes a freakin' key straight to the screen and it resulted in no damage. I just can't imagine doing anything remotely that severe to my screen...

19. D35P3R4T0 macrumors member

i guess im just not a risk taker...i saw that video also, but knowing my luck i will somehow mess my screen up. plus w/o a screen protector im getting alot of finger prints on it that i dont very much care for.

20. cohenspire macrumors member

My friend has been using his first gen iPhone since launch without any protection and has 2 or 3 tiny tiny scratches on his screen, he does not treat it special at all. I have a few other friends using their first gens naked since launch and none of them have scratches. I've seen 2 cracked screens, but they were dropped from about 5 feet onto curb edges or metal corners...nothing a screen protector would help.

21. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I have said this about every Belkin product I ever bought.

22. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I installed the Power Support Crystal protector primarily to remove the fingerprint smudges. I think minor scratch resistance is just a side-benefit. My 1st Gen never had any scratches after a year of use (without any protector).

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is the response I'd expect from most people.

If the finger-print situation is different, good for you, but I don't think anyone should worry about screen-scratches on an iPhone.

24. davidmt macrumors newbie

davidmt

My 1st Gen is kept in a slip case, but otherwise is used naked. I really don't think it makes sense to put a protector on the screen. The screen is very durable and I think a protector only takes away from the beautiful screen.