What's after Lion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tonynz, Jan 6, 2012.

1. tonynz macrumors member

Anyone know what will be released after Lion? I can't seem to find and news/rumours.

2. Dark Goob macrumors regular

Dark Goob

Hopefully something resembling Mac OS. Because right now I'm staying with 10.6...

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Lion looks very much like mac OSX to me.

4. Dextor143 macrumors 6502

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple does not provide any information regarding unreleased products.. So its anyone's guess of what 10.8 will look like, what it will be called, when it will be released.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

There have been one or two threads on this topic already. :rolleyes:

Several of them delving into cat species with strange names. :D

Perhaps this is as good a time as any to predict OS X will get swallowed up and become part of iOS 6.0. :eek:

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

after lion will be OS X 10.8.

what will the features be? no idea.
    what will it be called? no idea.
    when will it be released? no idea.

8. iVoid macrumors 65816

Actually, it could be 11.0.
    (doubt it myself, but you never know).

Or it could end up as iOS 7 ;)

9. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

While it's already been suggested that OS X will morph into iOS, if true it will be interesting to see how soon.

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Agreed - I see this happening ultimately, but the question is when and how will it be implemented. In the interim I think we will see at least OS X 10.8 before some form of an "IOS merge" across all Apple devices.

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

With all due respect regarding the passing of SJ, I believe it won't be nearly as soon as it would have been. If this turns out to be the case it will be a huge relief.

Or not, who knows what will happen now that Apple's a mass market retailer of consumer electronics. Nothing creates the attention they seek like phones & tablets.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think it will be quite a while as well. at least until one hurdle is figured out: touchscreen laptops/desktops. once its figure out how to get those to be a realistic option then i can see the iOS/OS X merge accelerating. creating continuity between the two works well for now though.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I would tend to agree. Although Steve hasn't been gone long enough for us to see the longer term impact to Apple's product pipeline, time to market, etc., it would not surprise me if Apple takes a minor hit to its innovativeness - not major, but still not the same as if Jobs was still at the helm. Yes, I realize it's not all about Steve, he has a talented army of thinkers, developers, etc. and he apparently left Apple with enough product ideas to last a couple years, but I'd still say there has to be some impact. Props to Mr. Cook though, as I do believe Apple is in good hands with him - he is apparently a wizard of efficiency among other talents.

So again, ultimately I could see OS X and IOS merging, however I believe we will at least see 10.8 prior to then (quite possibly 10.9 as well!) and furthermore we may not even see 10.8 as soon as some may expect based on the previous OS X update cycles.

I guess only time will tell!

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

You've brought up a good point, regarding touchscreens and how they may be implementing them in the future.

My biggest concern is how far iOS will dilute OS X. While I don't like what I see so far, I'm remaining in the wait & see mode. It's far too soon to form an opinion of Lion at this point in it's young life.

Excellent post. Your take on things is about the same as mine. One things for certain, it will take time before we see what the "New Apple" is like. :)

16. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

OS X Liger :confused: Can't see why they can't combine the power of a lion with the second best cat, the tiger?

Then again, I like the sound of OS X Lynx

17. thundersteele macrumors 68030

10.4 was tiger, right?

I'm all for OSX Cougar :D

Another option would be OSX "domestic cat"

18. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I have heard from a normally reliable source it will be 10.8 Siam. Please don't tell anybody I told you.

[​IMG]

19. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Haha.

20. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think that is the roadmap for OSX, how much of iOS makes it into OSX is anyone's guess.

There was a news story back last year that apple was seriously considering renaming OSX as iOS Desktop and the current iOS would morph into iOS mobile presumably.

That still may happen, but before it does, I think the next upgrades will embrace a more iOS look and feel.

22. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I don't know if I'm all that keen on bringing the mobile OS to the computer. What I imagine when I hear this is LOTS more gestures and no more desktop... just a home screen with lots of applications. I guess I'm seeing Launchpad becoming the desktop. :(

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No argument there, one of the common themes about the criticisms directed towards Lion was that it was the padification of OSX.

24. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I concur.

I'd be very interested in your take on how this will impact those of us serious OS X users?

I'm not suggesting or attempting to insult the home user, just concerned for those of us who make our living with Apple computers. After years of enjoyment, one does tend to be concerned...

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Agreed, it should be an interesting next couple of years, especially throwing the rumored Apple TV into the mix and how exactly it manifests itself, complements and integrates with existing services and devices, etc.

Liger you say?

[​IMG]

Actually the Cougar belongs to the genus of Puma, which was OS X 10.1, so to be accurate Apple shouldn't use that one going forward. :cool:

Yeah, this is one reason I haven't upgraded to Lion actually - it's touted benefits appear to be more touch / gesture-related, aligning it further with IOS and the use of trackpads and touch screens. Now I am admittedly in the minority as I do not have an iPhone or iPad, and additionally I do not have a Mac laptop, so for me, at the time of Lion's release, I was a complete rookie with respect to gestures, trackpads and such, and was hesitant on upgrading to an OS which made more use of them as a result. Since that point though I picked up a trackpad for my iMac for Christmas and quite like it, and am now comfortable with gestures and such. :) Would I consider upgrading to Lion though? Still not sure - it's not a priority at least for me right now.