Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 1, 2013
When people post images a lot of the time I can only see this, why does this happen?

IMG_0506.PNG

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I think that icon means the image cannot be displayed. There are a lot of reasons why that might be the case.

Maybe the image is a file type that isn't compatible with your web browser, operating system, etc.

Maybe the posters bungled the URL.

Maybe they posted an image that can only be viewed if you are logged in to the the site that hosts the image.

Maybe the image hosting site does not allow directly linked images.

Maybe the original image has been removed from the site for a variety of different reasons (including violation of terms of use, copyright issues, illegal content, etc.).

Maybe your network provider (especially if you are surfing from work) has blocked access to specific photo sharing sites.

Those are just some of the reasons why a posted image might not display here.

Last edited:

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I see the same thing sometimes in Safari but not Chrome for some reason.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ners-can-obtain-battery-replacements.2098974/

Are you getting the X image in post #1 of this thread for example. I get the X image in Safari and the correct, full image in Chrome. No adblocker running.
I am getting the correct full image in Safari 11.0.2 running on a 11" MacBook Air (mid 2013) and macOS Sierra 10.12.6. I am using the Adguard blocker on this web browser; there are no other extensions for this browser.

The image also displays fine on Chrome 63.0.3239.108 (also with Adguard), the same version of Chromium (using uBlock), Opera 50.0.2762.45 (using built-in ad blocker), and Vivaldi 1.13.1008.40 (also with Adguard).

Perhaps there is another extension on your Safari that is causing an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I am getting the correct full image in Safari 11.0.2 running on a 11" MacBook Air (mid 2013) and macOS Sierra 10.12.6. I am using the Adguard blocker on this web browser; there are no other extensions for this browser.

The image also displays fine on Chrome 63.0.3239.108 (also with Adguard), the same version of Chromium (using uBlock), Opera 50.0.2762.45 (using built-in ad blocker), and Vivaldi 1.13.1008.40 (also with Adguard).

Perhaps there is another extension on your Safari that is causing an issue.
I dunno... it is odd. I have the same versions you do. Now when I go to that thread the image is there in Safari also, but was not earlier. I have tried disabling all extensions.

There is some different CSS background going on with moderator accounts, so it may be related to that. Every time I see it, I open the same page in Chrome and the image is there.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Beats me.

The next time this happens perhaps you can log into your Mac as a different user (one that isn't logged in as a moderator) and try visiting the problematic pages.

Oh, I also tried this on a newer MacBook (mid 2017) running High Sierra, again with no problems.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.