What's going to happen to the iPhone in 15-20 years?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yearofthe, Jan 21, 2011.

1. yearofthe macrumors regular

yearofthe

I always think about this. Soon, there's going to be nothing worth updating. What else can they do with it? Give the OS to other phones atleast?

2. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

In 15-20 years I won't care.

If you think you might care, I suggest you pick up a hobby today. ;)

3. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Who knows? Apple may be a shell of what it is today....a stagnating company, or it could still innovate.That far off....it's impossible to predict, the iPhone may not even exist.

Who would have thought 15 years ago, around 1995 during Microsoft's zenith that they would be free-falling in the browser wars, ceding ground to Macs, near dead last on mobile OS....but rather successful with a gaming console?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

There was a time when it was thought that there would never be a need to have more than 640K of RAM in a computer. Often attributed to Bill Gates as having said that, but he denies it. Now look at today, I for instance have 16GB of RAM in my iMac.

So the iPhone in 15-20 years? Jeez, who the heck knows. Better to focus on what's coming down the pipe in 1-2 years and let the companies like Apple worry about their 5-10 year product roadmaps. It's doubtful they have anything significant planned that far out with any specific detail anyway, let alone 15-20 years. Technology changes too fast to make hard decisions that far in advance.

5. themadrussian macrumors regular

Megatron will make his triumphant return to Earth and rid this planet of humans once and for all in 2012, so there's no real reason to think about the iPhone in 15-20 years.

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I really doubt people will be using iPhones 20 years from now. Or any phones for that matter. When you start talking about decades in the future you're entering the realm of advanced genetics, psychotropic drugs, and cloning. The human species could look vastly different - never mind the technology that we use.

7. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

It's been nearly thirty years since the introduction of the first Macintosh. Do you think that back then people said "I doubt that in 20 years time people will still be using computers."? Technology won't necessarily advance as quickly as some people think it will.

$0.02

8. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

There will always be something to upgrade, there has always been and will still be this way, people never imagined 10 years ago the iPhone could be possible, and here it is.

In 20 years we'll see things we can't even imagine right now.

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Just because simple minds like you and me cannot imagine what there is to update doesn't mean there's actually nothing to update... ;)

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who cares? In 20 years, I'll probably be using a Jitterbug.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That's not true at all. A skinny teenager will defeat the forces of evil once again, and he'll do it while on facetime with Megan Fox.

12. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

in 15 years the iphone will be the only computer people use frequently.

13. redbeard331, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

This is something I've thought a lot about as I've always been fascinated by what the future holds in different kinds of technology. I think the iPhone, along with other smartphones will eventually converge with and replace laptops, along with every other electronic device we may carry. We are already seeing smartphones with desktop-like computing specs of just a few years ago coming to market in the next year or two. In 15 to 20 years the computing power of your iPhone will make todays desktops look like Commodore 64's.

I think phones will stay about the size of a current iPhone, and be more of a personal notification/phone/navigator/augmented reality device while you're walking and driving. And for when you are sitting in class, at work, or wherever, and need a laptop type of device, the phone will have an expandable screen and keyboard. How this will be done I don't know, but I think that's where things will go. Maybe the phone will be able to project the screen and keyboard onto or above a table as some sort of 3D hologram and use similar technology that the Xbox kinect uses to read gestures and inputs to the keyboard and screen.

So once you sit down in class or at work, you set your phone down on the table, and you have a 15" virtual screen and keyboard in front of you, no docking it into anything, no bulky laptop to lug around. And of course this will do wonders for games!

I think things like augmented reality will really take off, instead of holding your little 3.5" screen phone to the sky to see the name of that bright star to the south with apps like Star Walk, you'll use the display to render pointers and names to the actual stars in the sky instead of just an animation. When you get lost from your friends at a concert, instead of trying to pinpoint their location from a sat image using an app like Loopt, you'll see a blinking red light over them in the crowd as you point your phone towards them. Or maybe it will point you towards the guy selling a ticket that you need that he just posted to Craigslist.

I also think they will become like a personal safety device, using location awareness (goodbye privacy) to alert us of dangers based on where we are. So if you go down to the beach, and lets say there's a tsunami warning, or high surf, your phone will alert you of the conditions. Same for if you are in the path of a tornado, instead of having to watch tv, or wait for tornado sirens, your phone will instantly alert you with a warning the second the weather service issues the warning.

The things that can be done with the technology by then will be pretty incredible, it will be interesting to see, that's for sure, and hopefully by then they fix the notification system! Wouldn't wanna miss that tornado warning because you just got a Holotime request from your girlfriend!

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The iPhone screen will probably be unbreakable. They already have a glass stronger than gorilla glass, I think it's called Dragon. So in about 15 years we'll have a missle proof iPhone. :D

BTW... Bluetooth transfer to non iPhone devices still won't work. :mad:

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It will ship in white.

16. riz78612 macrumors regular

?

We cant accurately predict what will happen withint the next 2-5 years let alone 15-20 years time....

17. Acronym macrumors 68000

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I thought that when people ask whats going to be in next's years iPhone, that was crazy since we wouldn't know.

Now we're talking about the iPhone coming out almost 2 decades later? :eek:

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That's because he didn't say "never" and the story has become mixed up over the years. The truth is:

Gates was giving a speech, and brought up a story about fifteen years previous, when Microsoft and IBM first bumped their personal computer memory limit from 64K to 640K.

In his speech, he noted that they all thought at the time that a 640K limit should be good enough for at least ten years. Then he made fun of himself by wryly commenting how wrong they were, that it was only good enough for about half that time.

In other words, he was pointing out that whenever someone says a spec is good enough for a certain amount of time, it often turns out not to be.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

21. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

22. brando123b macrumors regular

I personally don't envision personal electronics to ever replace "Desktop" type hardware.

I hear some of you say "In 20 years we will only have our phones and they will be so powerful that nothing else is needed".

For activities such as watching media (TV, browsing, gaming, movies) a larger screen will always be more engaging and desirable. Even if the actual "Brain" of a gaming system was the size of an iPhone, the way we interact with it, the "Screen" would still be considered = bigger is better.

Add to this the realm of PC and console gaming, they will always need tactile and tangible input devices: mice, keyboards, controllers, steering wheels etc. As innovative as a "Minority Report" style control system is, it lacks the physical feedback given by a physical device.

I also believe it will be a LONG time before bigger isn't better. If you can have iPhone quality graphics on a device the size of an iPhone, then you can Xbox360 quality graphics on a device that size. Whatever is possible on a small device, generally more will be possible on a bigger one.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

23. Rodvette macrumors regular

In about 15-20 year its not so far fetched that we might have something like a little box with a button that we press that comes with an earpiece. We hit the button and in front of us projects a screen that we interact with to view our contacts/internet/e-mails and other stuff... :)