What's gonna happen to the Apple TV 4K

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rmoliv, Feb 8, 2019.

1. JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

Hopefully, at least a hardware upgrade so they can take out the fan.

2. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I think you're fighting a losing battle with the vast majority of the population. To most people they don't care and only see the price. I don't have a lot of experience with smart TV apps or Amazon products, but I have heard nothing from people who claim there are any buffering issues. Certainly on the Apple TV, I've had Netflix freeze several times requiring a force-quit and don't even get me started about how Netflix on TvOS doesn't support Black Mirror Bandersnatch! As for build quality/construction it doesn't really matter when the device is hanging out the back of the TV. I will quite happily pay the Apple premium (well, likely for a refurbished model) but if you think the average consumer looking for a streaming box (assuming they don't use the built-in apps) is going to look at the Apple TV over a Now TV or Fire stick/box you are a bit naive. To me, The Apple TV is just too powerful for what it does - especially that Apple has messed up its potential as a gaming platform - which is contributing to the high cost.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:03 AM ---
    As mentioned by others, HDMI 2.1 is not just for 8K. The VRR and ALLM features will apply for gaming (if Apple ever invests in this properly), and QMS will kill off the black screen on resolution/refresh rate changing. The extra bandwidth could be useful if sports streaming ever goes above 60 Hz. In fact, I can't see any other hardware feature that Apple even could upgrade the ATV to have unless they can finally get big games onto it (at which point an A12X or greater chip and more RAM would help).

3. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

Killer feature. That’s going to be on everybody’s Xmas list. I can just see the excitement when people hear about it and they all rush to upgrade.

4. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

Well, I stand corrected on this point, then. I didn't fully do my homework. ;)

Which still goes back to my original point, although I focused on 8K. What I don't understand is why HDMI 2.1 is taking so long to roll out on televisions, though. eARC and QMS would be enough of a reason to adopt HDMI 2.1 on all new 4K TVs.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Moreover, eARC could also be realised on HDMI 2.0 ports already now. Just takes a firmware update.

6. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

If I understood correctly it depends on the installed HDMI controller, though. Then, sure, on the TV/AVR makers deciding that their customers are valuable. Sony is giving eARC on HDMI 2.0 only to the Master Series TVs. Not sure if it is because of HW or business reasons (or both).

7. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Dunno that either. But my AVR got it retrofitted on 10-10-2018 via firmware update.

8. jole26 macrumors newbie

jole26

Even by your low standards, this will take some beating as the worst post ever seen on this forum.

You start off by jumping on board with the tin-pot conspiracy theories on 5G, seemingly oblivious to the fact that there is zero scientific evidence of 5G being a health issue. Like all new technologies, it needs more scientific research to be done before we will know if there are health risks. You however, seem to already have decided the outcome of the scientific research that hasn't yet be done.

You then back this up by citing President Trump. Somewhat ironic as his critics argue that he ignores the scientific evidence on climate change, and chooses to be believe what he wants. Which is EXACTLY what you are doing.

And you round it off by having a go at people who subscribe to Sky TV, accusing these people of believing "whatever that box feeds them". I not too sure what this means. I'm assuming as Sky TV is a competitor to Apple TV, then in your binary world this must mean that Sky are evil.

9. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

ATV 4K may get updated internals this year (Q3), two configs, and then:

Previous ATV 4K will remain in one configuration at a reduced price.

Either the 1080p ATV 4th gen remains with a reduced price (this is more likely)
    Or
    New streaming stick (not likely IMO)

...otherwise updated ATV 4K in 2 configs, 2017 model remains in one config, price reduced, and that’s it...(older 1080p model dropped).

10. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

If you want to believe the rumors, this will most likely not happen.

Considering the ATV4 is being sold at cost, I doubt that Apple would reduce it much more than current price.

I think this is more likely because not only it is more fitting with current rumors, it will give Apple a chance to compete with the much cheaper streaming boxes that are currently out there by designing an ATV that is not as expensive to produce.