Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
Not to seem prejudiced or anything, but I met a 'so called' personal shopping assistant at the Apple Store in the tony neighborhood of Bethesda, Maryland and woops! Not a clue about Video editing or my key issue, HD Video Editing on the Mac. Looking around, I noticed that the sales help have switched from pony tailed, tatooed, and generally tech savvy GenX & GenNext to this, err... conservative car salesman/ sleazy politician look- Republicans?:eek:
I even brought them my now famous flow diagram and they looked at with a look that said "err is that a PowerPoint print out"
WHAT'S HAPPENED TO APPLE STORES :confused:?????

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I walked into one, and if I wasn't there specifically for an iPod, I would have walked right back out. They're sooo crowded anymore. it's not cool.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
They are encouraging a zoo-like atmosphere.

Do your homework, get in, get it, get out, is my motto.

Hope I never have to go to the Genus Bar. :eek:

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Not to seem prejudiced or anything, but I met a 'so called' personal shopping assistant at the Apple Store in the tony neighborhood of Bethesda, Maryland and woops! Not a clue about Video editing or my key issue, HD Video Editing on the Mac. Looking around, I noticed that the sales help have switched from pony tailed, tatooed, and generally tech savvy GenX & GenNext to this, err... conservative car salesman/ sleazy politician look- Republicans?:eek:
I even brought them my now famous flow diagram and they looked at with a look that said "err is that a PowerPoint print out"

I didn't realized you needed to lean to the left to use a Mac. My god. I'd best sell mine and get a PC........ BTW thanks for the Republican stereotype.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
Try going to the store at Montgomery Mall. Even though it's much more crowded, if you really want to avoid the "republicans" many of the geniuses and sales people at the Montgomery Mall store are more the Gen Y type. Although most of the sales people there will probably not know much of the technical details, but I'm sure there are some by the Mac Pros :p

P.S. Go Bethesda! (I live there too - well North Bethesda, but it counts :p)

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
I always thought it's a concept that's a mirage. The Genius Bar that is. The notion you just go and get all this free expertise at no charge is unrealistic because of the volume of business these stores do. A volume that is only increasing my leaps and bounds and so it will only get worse.

It will end up being like any other place. You'll have to be a squeaky wheel to get any help. Also unless you're on newb I doubt you'll get any help for any real problems.

I do like the stores if only because you can see all the Apple products first hand and it gives me a reason to go to the Mall with the wife. :)

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
Err. it WAS the Montgomery Mall store:eek:
Folks. I've been using Macs since the 128k. Yeah I'm that old, but- I've watched the sales help in the Mac Stores switch over since 'W' took the oval office and I have to tell you, these guys haven't got a clue. I seriously doubt any of them have used Macs for more than a couple of years Max. You know, Wintel Types masquerading as Mac DieHards. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they're on the Mac side-just not on that side of the sales counter.
I have a serious need for HDVideo editing that will likely cost me around $8K and these guys in there, Manager included, treated me like I had the 'N' word tattooed on my forehead and that maybe I was BS'ng them. Sad!

Try going to the store at Montgomery Mall. Even though it's much more crowded, if you really want to avoid the "republicans" many of the geniuses and sales people at the Montgomery Mall store are more the Gen Y type. Although most of the sales people there will probably not know much of the technical details, but I'm sure there are some by the Mac Pros :p

P.S. Go Bethesda! (I live there too - well North Bethesda, but it counts :p)

TheNumberOneFan

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
I work at an apple store in Wisconsin

I'm not sure about you guys, but our stores are a very humbling, entertaining, and fun environment.

Maybe its just the difference between the coast and the midwest?

People are complaining about free technical advice and the fact that not EVERY employee could possibly be old enough to have had mac's since the very beginning? :confused:

Anyway, sorry you guys feel this way! Hope your view of our retail stores improves someday.

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina

Couldn't you discuss the lack of help you received without throwing around political stereotypes?

I don't have a pony tail, or any tattoos and I'm a registered republican. Does that mean I know nothing about Macs/computers? I happen to own an iMac, MBP, iPhone and 2 ipods. I design websites for a living, make films as a hobby and I happen to know a decent amount about HD Video Editing on a Mac.

I'm sorry if the salesman who you spoke to was unhelpful, but political affiliation isn't associated with tech savvy, so let's make sure we don't jump to conclusions about people. Let's keep this thread about your experience in the store and not about politics.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
Im a republican, have short close cropped hair, not tatoos, and wear khakis, dress shoes, and button down shirts.

Am I still allowed to use Apple products ?

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Folks. I've been using Macs since the 128k. Yeah I'm that old...

You would think wisdom and tact would come with age, but I guess that's a bit much to ask. Anyway, just remember that Apple store workers are still lowly retail employees and can't be expected to know everything about your specialty. This forum is probably a good place to get the advice you need on equipment as long as you can overcome your political bigotry enough to accept that the person helping you might actually be a Republican. The horror... :eek:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Besides which, if you read and post here, what are you doing asking them for help?? Post a thread here, watch the experts give you advice, compile a shopping list, take it to the Apple Store and say "I want to buy this." Done!

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
Besides which, if you read and post here, what are you doing asking them for help?? Post a thread here, watch the experts give you advice, compile a shopping list, take it to the Apple Store and say "I want to buy this." Done!

I agree. The stores are always so hectic that I like being able to get in, get what I want and get out.

The quicker you do that the quicker you can start using it!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I agree, the Mac expertise level is lower than even a couple years back when the stores first opened.

I don't know; maybe they need to start paying the sales staff better or something.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Folks. I've been using Macs since the 128k. Yeah I'm that old, but- I've watched the sales help in the Mac Stores switch over since 'W' took the oval office and I have to tell you, these guys haven't got a clue. I seriously doubt any of them have used Macs for more than a couple of years Max. You know, Wintel Types masquerading as Mac DieHards. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they're on the Mac side-just not on that side of the sales counter.
I have a serious need for HDVideo editing that will likely cost me around $8K and these guys in there, Manager included, treated me like I had the 'N' word tattooed on my forehead and that maybe I was BS'ng them. Sad!

I am just dying to hear about all of your experiences in Apple Retail Stores before W took office. (The first one opened in 2001)

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I am just dying to hear about all of your experiences in Apple Retail Stores before W took office. (The first one opened in 2001)

I was thinking the same thing. ;)

Hmm, so he goes in the store with that kind of elitist attitude and wonders why he doesn't get good service eh? :rolleyes:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I don't know; maybe they need to start paying the sales staff better or something.

Well, the problem is that we're conditioned to look for the best deals possible - $50 can be the difference between a sale or no sale. So stores have to pay minimum wage (or only slightly higher) to keep costs down. And who is attracted to a minimum wage job? Students, people looking for temporary or casual employment. Not a lot of incentive to keep up to date on the latest Apple news and technologies, beyond the basic training provided by the store and whatever knowledge or enthusiasm they walked in with. And yet we walk into these stores expecting them to be experts that know everything...

Your aspiring Apple techs, the ones you really want to talk to, are out there making lots more money elsewhere...

ra noodle

Mar 14, 2008
zephymold

read what you said....and i'm one who really needs the illumination of the keys in a mbp....to date i just still can't coordinate to type like a normal person does....anyway....frankly your right about all you said....and it also should be pointed out that there is the other side of the coin as evidenced by all the following remarks from a lot of egoistic and basically snotty boys and girls who all subscribe to the illusion/delusion that they deserve Mac, that the attitude in some stores matches their own snottiness......dump on me too--its true....there is an Apple store I have gone too-where I got my first mac mini when they first came out.....my method of payment was cash-and so you know right off i am not part of this snotty class--the ones that have the plastic card to buy something...no when i paid they took the counterfeit pen out and swiped across each and every $100 and $50 not only glaring at me as if i just stole an armful of womens purses to buy this item...but three times i was in fact stopped by a apple person i think was a manager and then two or more other apple employees surrounded me---why=BECAUSE OF HOW I LOOKED, BECAUSE OF WHAT CLOTHS I WORE, BECAUSE I WAS PERCEIVED AS SOME DIRTBAG/PANHANDLER/HOMELESS/DRUG ADDICT WITH A WIRE CABLE CUTTER UNDER MY JACKET SO I COULD SNIP THE SECURITY CORDS, times i came in and was totally ignored by 3-4 sales persons.....oh I forgot to tell you: I am disabled, I wear a back brace that makes me look like i have a blanket wrapped around me with my coat over this and i wear cut off flannel shirt in warm weather so hide the brace...and i have to use two canes and often crutches when going to the Apple store.....
and i must have gotten this "attitude" dozens of times before finally at least one of two or more Apple store persons finally just a bit changed their attitude towards me......i'm getting into my 60's now and i guess a lot of the apple crowd are younger than me...but it just really sucks....all you younger guys and gals out there wait until your over 60 or disabled as i am and hobble into an Apple store, or anywhere for that matter-its a totally different world because immediately everyone attempts to con and hustle the old guy or the disabled "bum" who had the audacity to walk into 'their' store......but for some reason they have changed and really improved actually almost overcompensating for past "sins" i don't know....but my computer skill level is unscrewing the flashlight and putting the batteries in head first--that';s about it and for some reason they are now explaining things to me instead of ignoring me.....i'd say the Apple store i go to now is terrific a 10 plus and their gestures of kindness make me want to get things and will...each store is different and each time you go in perhaps in the interval there was a better manager or new customer concern addressed.....it's a puzzle because i still won't buy Leopard when this 10.5.3 comes out and all of you report it's great and it addressed the problems right maybe then i'll get it......

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
So you went into a retail store to ask a FCP question related to HD video editing and couldn't get good help? What question was it?

As for the genius bar, it must just be around there, over here in north Maryland (Towson) the bar isn't bad at all. In fact I got my machines fixed for cosmetic damage, a broken logic board, crashed HDD, a plethora of iPod issues and random questions and they either have the answers or are quick to work with me to find solutions.

I am not saying they are all perfect, but maybe the smart people gravitate around me. :D Not to mention that I am usual in and out in about a half hour for repair service, and I get it back in about a day or two.

And this is a small store compared to the others I have been to.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I've watched the sales help in the Mac Stores switch over since 'W' took the oval office and I have to tell you, these guys haven't got a clue.

Lets add that to the list of W's offenses, like high gas prices, the mortgage meltdown, AIDS, etc.:rolleyes:

Kuska

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
Deep in The Weald, England
I'd like to know where they put the checkouts :confused: Spent 10 minutes searching only to turn up at the counter, get told its the genius bar, young girl whips out a wireless card reader, swipes me and e-mails my receipt to my home.:eek:

Thought I was being set up - 'candid camera' style :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.