What's happened to 'click to hold'?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by imacken, Jul 4, 2011.

1. imacken macrumors 65816

There doesn't seem to be any way to set 'click to hold' any more in the trackpad preferences.
    This means that you can't drag and hold windows any more. whenever the 'tap' is released, then so is the drag hold!
    This is a problem if you are moving along a big distance, e.g. across the whole screen. (Try dragging a Safari window from the right hand side to the left of a 27".)
    It's even more of a problem in games, as it is impossible to keep hold of an object!
    Is there any way around this?

2. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Three finger tap to drag gives you a grace period of about a second to "reswipe" while travelling long distances. I just moved a folder from one side of my 17" with two or three swipes.

3. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Physically press down and use the fact that trackpads have an actual button?

4. imacken thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys. Yes, even the double tap with one finger gives about a second hold to 're-swipe' but it's difficult to make that work in games.
    The 'real' button thing doesn't work as it's not possible to do a secondary click when holding the 'left' button click down, which again, is important in games.
    Just don't know why the option has gone in Lion. It was there in SL.

5. eastwater macrumors newbie

Drag lock was relocated to Universal Access>Mouse & Trackpad>Trackpad Options.

6. imacken thread starter macrumors 65816

7. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I hate clicking the trackpad button. It's noisy and feels cheap. It's also possible on Windows computers to do everything on the trackpad without clicking, and there is NO annoying "grace period", why can't Apple do that?

8. imacken thread starter macrumors 65816

Why do you ever need to 'click'?
    The 'grace period' is actually very useful. For example, when highlighting text, there is now no need to tap to select at the end of the selection and risk losing all the highlighting. Now, if you just wait the text is highlighted without doing anything.

9. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Yes, it's useful, but it adds a small but (to me) noticeable and annoying delay for single clicks. You click on a button and it only gets clicked like 0.5 sec later, which makes the machine feel unresponsive.

I actually think this delay is not due to drag lock, but rather tap & drag. Either way, it forces me to use the trackpad's button...

10. imacken thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't find any delay on tapping at all. Only on releasing dragging and highlighting which is obviously useful. I've never (intentionally!) used the click button at all.