What's keeping us using Apple phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freepomme, Jan 21, 2016.

1. freepomme macrumors 6502a

Isn't it time for something new? I
    I mean something new new. Getting iPhones every year sounds.... hmm.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Plenty of things to choose from for those that want to.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I thinkI understand where the OP is coming from. You want something that wows you like the first iPhone did. I am there too. I use iOS and Android, but I'd love to just be blown away by something new.

4. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

I think it's because they are the best at what they can do. Nobody else can beat their ecosystem they have grown over the years.

I started with the iPhone 4 and I've been on the hook ever since. I've had the 5 and now the 6 but really I feel like I've had basically the same experience for the past 6 years. Things got a little bigger and faster but really I've been doing the same exact things with my phone. But it has the best apps and software with frequent updates. Can't beat that!

I'd like to see the resolution of the display bumped up at the least or something I can't even think of that I don't know that I need yet. I miss that magic. I'm not sure if Apple has that magic anymore with the iPhone. What more can they really do?! Thinner? Really? The iPhone 6 is ridiculously thin. I can't imagine what the 7 will be like. Probably a little bit thinner yet!

But I hope they make something that makes me really excited again. Like that first time I held the iPhone 4 and was blown away by the Retina display. It felt really unreal at the time. Hopefully they have some more magic coming.

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

dependable
    syncs with everything
    consistant updates
    good customer service
    no lag
    great battery life

are a huge reason to stick with apple.

Problem is it is alot harder to be blown away these days. Even on android there has come a time where they run out of ideas to wow people.

6. WinterWolf90 macrumors 6502

Syncs with everything is probably my number one reason. I can get the messages on my mac or iPad and the amount of apps. When i first bought an android phone the marketplace for apps didn't even compare to apple. I got the iPhone 4s and never looked back. Updates is another reason. I like knowing I am going to get updates for 2-3 years at least.

7. laudern macrumors 6502a

I agree. This would totally change the way I'd use my iPhone.

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The main thing is the integration with other devices. I have 2 iPads, a MacBook Air, an Apple TV and an Apple Watch. Everything works seamlessly and I've never experienced anything close to this level of integration when using other devices.

Other reasons include:

Reliability
    Excellent battery life (plus models)
    Better aftercare support
    Better software support
    Better ecosystem (Apps, tv shows)
    Wider range of high quality accessories

I would also like to add that I'm actually very happy with the iPhone so I don't see a reason to change. It does everything I need it to do and it is effortless.

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

My iPhone 4S is still going strong, and covering my needs. An upgrade would only be for vanity.

10. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

Android hardware is usually better looking and catch my eye more often than the ugly iPhone 5/5s/6* ever did..
    But once I swipe the display and the clutter of Android shows it self I put the phone back down and buy another iPhone..
    The 4s was the peak of iPhone design. Flat, minimalistic, solid and it looked as expensive as it was at the time.
    The bent, scratched, bumped, weird antenna line, horrible camera bump-versions that came after it has been a let down. Except the 5c, at least it has a flat back, no antenna lines and it´s does not need to be hidden in a case to survive or be grip-able..

4s with 4"-ish screen would be the holy grail for me :)

11. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

It's certainly not the software.
    My wager would be the badge and the fact the ecosystem is hard to get back out of.

12. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I don't buy a new phone every year. I went from a 4s to an iphone 6 which I'm still using. I think stylishly the iphone 4s was the better looking device. I stick with iphones for its simplicity. I've tinkered with android and windows phones but after the initial setup and having fun customizing I always go back to my iphone. I'm hoping for a new 4 inch model for ease of pocketing and perhaps a tad thicker so its easier to pick up...but I'm basically happy with my iphones as is.

13. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

I never change the winning combo....best design, best OS.

14. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

well said :)

15. bushido Suspended

bushido

iOS and the "Ecosystem", if the Samsung Galaxy Edge was running iOS i would have switched a long time ago

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

To me the feel and quality of the device goes well with it function. Love the way all my Apple devices stay synced together without me doing anything.

17. colorfuel macrumors member

I would have switched to Cyanogenmod if it werent for the ecosystem and syncing between iOS and OSX.

18. Jsameds macrumors 68030

The lack of necessity to change.

There's have been no alternatives out there that have made me think about switching, mainly because we've reached a stage where all the flagships are all about as good as each other so switching will only cause headaches that I can do without.

19. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not quite.

If you have modern Apple hardware then yeah, sure.

Not going to sync with my PowerBooks and my PowerMac however and not even my 2006 MBP.

20. Bruce_Richwine macrumors newbie

For most people it's the app ecosystem they've invested money in. I've pretty much stayed ecosystem agnostic. So if I decide to switch it's pretty easy. But the reason I use iPhone is the compatibility with third party products in the infotainment sector. It's a nightmare dealing with Android devices because upgrading to a new phone may not work with your $1500 infotainment system.

21. 8692574 Suspended

My 2020 Plasma cannon does not sync with my 1984 Mac.....BAD Apple BAAAD!

22. noobinator macrumors 601

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me, its the ecosystem.

My wife and I are happy with what Apple provides in services for iOS. My kids love using facetime with their friends, and can use iMessage to interact with them and us.

I also have an apple watch, and I love the appeal of using message on OS X to send messages to friends, family and what not.

Basically, Apple's intent on keeping consumers tightly engrained in the ecosystem worked for myself and family.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!

But my point is that this is deliberate. Apple actively prevents syncing with older systems. Instead of just allowing things to get old and break they go and make it not work on purpose.

Case in point, iPhone 4/4s owners with PowerBooks and PowerMacs who updated to iOS 7.