What's murdering my battery?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by theautopilot, Aug 5, 2010.

1. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Well after jailbreaking I installed SBsettings and lockinfo. But my battery is running down twice as fast now.

TBH, the gains JBing has given me are vastly outweighed by the hit on my battery life. But before I throw the towel in I would like to atleast see if it's posible to improve the situation.

Anyone have any tips? I suspect that Activator might be a hog. So that's SBsettings and lockinfo out the door, which I can live without. Or there something more fundamental going on with the jailbreak itself that's causing this?

2. w3iiipu macrumors member

i noticed my battery draining alot faster then before too...
    all i have is sbsettings, springflash and ultrasn0w

i used to be able to get 5-7 hrs usage and 1day-1 1/2 day of standby..now its pretty much drained at the end of the day

3. -MRB macrumors 6502

Yeah i've noticed a drastic change.

It was fully charged at 8:30am this morning
    It's now at 85% at 11:20am.

Light facebook browsing, and a few texts.

4. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Add me to the list.

Is SBSettings the common app here?

5. theautopilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

But, but from what i can tell it relies on the 'Activator' app to be installed and constantly running in the background (as does lockinfo and others). I suspect this maybe be an issue.

People who know more about this, please feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

6. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I removed all of the activator settings (just set everything to NONE).. and the battery seems back to normal. But maybe it's just in my head... ;-)

7. feddy84 macrumors member

same here but i only got sbsettings installed.
    so thats prolly the problem sadly enough. i love sbsettings

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

The default setting in Activator is 'unassigned' for all actions except Swipe Left and Swipe Right, which are assigned to SBSettings. So, unless you've installed other software that uses Activator, there's nothing to remove.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I too was having the battery drain issue so I came home last night and restored my phone as a new phone. I then jailbroke it and did not install any apps or mods to see if the problem was caused by the jailbreak.

After three hours, my battery is still at 100% so no, it is not the jailbreak itself.

Next I am going to begin installing my Cydia paid apps one by one such as MyWi and iBlacklist to see if it's one of them. It could also be cause by all ou jailbreaking on a phone that was not restored as new. I never had SBSetiings installed at all.

Could be lots of causes and maybe not caused by the jailbreak at all.

10. guicane macrumors regular

guicane

I have left my phone plugged in overnight on my bedside table and to find it at 95% when I woke up. That's 8 hours charging and 95% when I wake up.

Got to work 1h30 later to find the battery at 87% without having touched it as I commute to work on a motorbike.

All that after sbsettings was installed last night. :(

11. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

It doesn't make sense to me what sbsettings and activator could be doing to kill the battery. It's not like they are constantly trying to complete some task?

Anyway I haven't really noticed any battery hit. I left my phone sit doing nothing and everything in the taskbar closed at 88% battery. Came back about 5 hours later and it was at 86%. I have sbsettings, remove all recents, infinifolders, and springflash installed.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Try restoring your phone as new, then jailbreak. Leave it like that with nothing else installed and you will see your battery is not draining fast at all.

Then try installing a Cydia app one by one and give it a few hours in between so you can see what is causing the battery issue. It's not SBSettings because my battery was draining and I never had SBSettings installed. I did have MyWi, My3G and iBlacklist so I am thinking it was one of those.

I'm going to start installing my apps shortly here. I restored my phone as new and jailbroke. After three hours, my battery is still at 100%.

13. iloveiphone4 macrumors member

add me into this mix and i can say that my metrics are better than yours for one reason, i dont use my iphone as a phone (kinda weird, but i like iphones even though i am with sprint, and always buy the latest iphone :) ) so my iphone is always in aeroplane mode... saying that..

before jailbreaking, i charge my phone 100%, it retained charge for 3 days while doing the same activities everyday.. now after jailbreaking, i installed only installous and unlock and nothing else, and whatever cydia downloads on its own, i lost 70% charge in one day.. i charged my iphone 100%, 2 hrs later with absolutely no use or even turning on the screen, my iphone is at 94% and i know for sure that never happened before..

so tonight like one poster said, i am going to do a complete restore to 4.0.1 and install just cydia and unlock and my regular stuff.. might not even install cydia as i dont need the jailbreak sooo desperately, might even wait for a pwnage tool kind of jailbreak as it looks more effecient... my 3gs which i sold never faced this problem when i jailbreak it...

14. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

same issue here, but no activator, or sbssettings.
    using winterboard (slightly), inteilliscreen, makeitmine.
    annoying, but still, also JB is worth it...

15. pwb2103 macrumors member

Same problems here. Before Jailbreak it would drop maybe 3% over night... now it drops 25% or more.
    The only thing I have installed is lockinfo (so also activator)

16. lvyelion macrumors member

check ur 3G data usage. I had the same problem if not worse after I JB my phone. There are some virus/worm that constaintly use ur 3G data, which drains battery very fast. I won't happen for non JB phones, or if you changed ur default root password after JB, it won't happen either. U can search for the solution on Google. I did and followed the instructions, there is indeed virus in my phone, after clean up, now my phone battery returns to normal.

Hope this helps

17. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

As far as I'm aware there are no viruses for the iPhone. Can you give us the name? I'm curious

18. lvyelion macrumors member

19. drwprtcht macrumors newbie

The first time that I ever JB my phone was on 3.1.3 with Spirit, and I was NOT impressed with my awful battery life. But I used Winterboard and LockInfo and all that jazz.

Since this new 4.0 JB I've stayed away from Winterboard and only use biteSMS and iBlacklist with a few other apps. Not SBsettings or LockInfo. My battery life has been just about the same as it was pre-JB

20. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

FWIW....

Battery life is like vehicle MPG. Everyone's is gonna be different, just because there are too many variables to consider.

That being said.....any program that auto updates (whether via 3G or WiFi) when it is locked (more like sleep), is going to use the battery faster. I've used both LockInfo and Intelliscreen (but I don't anymore). Depending on what you have them doing, they are active while the iPhone is asleep, and therefore draining battery. Even your PUSH settings and Mail check frequency settings affect this, as well as even how close you are to a cell phone tower (because the closer you are, the less work the 3G circuitry system has to do to keep connected).

Did you change the time the iPhone auto locks? Did you change the settings for the screen brightness (in any fraction of a change)? What about every other setting before you jailbroke? What about every other way you interacted with your iPhone (meaning time in use) before you jailbroke?

My battery life on my 3Gs on 4.0.1 for the past 3 days, seems to be 'very close' to what I was getting for the past 7 months of it being jailbroken on 3.1.2. I have many of the same apps loaded, and many of the same settings changed to how I had them during that time.

If you are so worried about battery life, keep a USB cable & charger at your desk, by your bedside, in your car, etc. etc. They are only $3-$4 nowadays at many of the discount online stores.

21. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Pure FUD.

If you use ANY computer device, it is full of security holes.

Apple products are the least of any (currently) targeted viruses or worms or trojans. That is likely to change, but for now any MS product is more the target. Pure statistics.....

22. Ogrillion macrumors member

Just wanted to comment this is my first jailbreak - and in fact I am getting better battery life.

Heres why: Sbsettings - I can quickly disable 3g wifi location services etc and its damn convenient so I do it all the time.

Yesterday mostly on edge and only 3g when driving (for slacker) I was at 70% battery and had 4 hours usage and 11 hours standby.

Which for me is amazing since before the jailbreak with 3g on all day I would get home with 40-50% battery and with about the same usage.

But honestly even with 3g on all day (I leave it on in the weekends- my job has barely 1-2 bars and goes from edge to 3g all day and eats my battery) my battery has been the same.

Everything is on standard settings I didn't change anything.

I am running Sbsettings, Lockinfo, BiteSMS, and Winterboard (not really using any themes for it) and 5 button dock.

23. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

If you were at your desk all day you wouldnt need a cellphone.

24. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

May be true for some jobs I guess.

However, my phone number now on my iPhone, for the past 12 years, has been my business. Even have several other 'virtual' phone numbers being forwarded to it.

25. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Why do you own an iphone if you keep it in airplane mode all the time.... just like to waste $?