What's new features for iPod Touch II?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Falkenhausen, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Falkenhausen macrumors newbie

I wonder what's new features do you think IPod Touch II will have? Or what are you hoping for? What I'm hoping for:

1. 3.0+ Camera
    2. GPS3
    3. Slide-out qwerty keyboard

2. linden macrumors regular

linden

i dont no much about the software but i dont thing 1 and 3 will happen

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

1, 2 and 3 will not happen (especially 3)

if you want those sort of features (except number 3 that will never happen) then get an iPhone 2.

4. Falkenhausen thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I should mentioned that I'm deaf and I do not need a phone/music/radio but I am trying to figure this out what is the best for me. Is there anything you wish to add for iPod Touch?

5. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

All 3 won't happen as it is an iPod. If you want those items, you'll have to wait when the iPhone gets those features, though I doubt we'll see a slide out qwerty keyboard as Jobs wanted a keyboard less phone.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Brighter screen, more memory, better battery life. Possibly an anodised back.

That's about it.

7. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

No offence meant here, but why don't you just purchase a camera and a sat nav? If you don't use the iPod for being an iPod then it's pretty much useless for its cause.

8. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

A SLIDE OUT KEYBOARD?
    It has a touch screen, that would bring the iPod down below the level of normal generic mp3 players!

All I want is a more scratch resistant back

As for my pipe dream: a camera

9. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Hopefully a camera... that would be perfect :):):) GPS for sure not... that would cause too much competition for iPhone.

10. ranwanimator macrumors newbie

Yeah... I don't get wanting a slide out keyboard. That defeats the whole point of the touchscreen. It would add bulk (bulk == bad).

My personal viewpoint on electronics is this. All-in-One devices don't make sense to me. I personally would rather have a device that does one or two things really well as opposed to having a bunch of stuff crammed into one device that all performs poorly. I've got a camera on my phone. I never use it cause it's impossible to take even remotely decent pictures. That's what I have a Canon DSLR for. On top of that, every thing you combine into your product means one more thing you have lost out on when your battery dies. (this is my argument against the iPhone BTW). Say you've been jamming out to some music or watching a vid when you get a phone call. Well all that jamming or watching has drained your battery to the point to where when the phone call of YOUR LIFE comes in you don't have enough juice to take it. So now your all in one iPhone is dead and you are out on the town in some city you don't know very well and you can't call for help, you can't look up a map, you can't even distract yourself with some music. </ RANT> No thanks. :cool:

GPS would be a neat feature, but as they couldn't get it to work for the iPhone I don't think it'll happen for the iPod Touch.

Peace

11. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Have you looked at BlackBerry devices? You can get them with data-only plans. Granted, the Web browser isn't as good as mobile Safari last I checked, but they do have a physical keyboard and some have cameras. I believe you can get GPS on them, too.

12. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

haha lol @ this thread.

Yeah I agree, number 3 defo won't happen.

I want the second generation iPod touch to have a back like that of an iPhone... something that doesn't scratch would be nice.

Other than that, can't think of anything else really, except maybe a memory upgrade and less initial glitches.

13. Naim135 macrumors member

LED Projector

Dont Laugh but with developments in these things installing one in an ipod would be possible and would match the screen resolution

14. Delia macrumors member

I totally agree on the iPhone style backing for the iPod Touch. I absolutely hate the polished back, as it scratches the instant you take it out of the box. It drives me nuts, lol.

GPS and Camera would be nice, but I can't see it happening.

15. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

If all you want an iPod touch for is the possibility of a camera and gps then just get an iPhone with the data and text package that they made especially for deaf people....

16. na1577 macrumors 6502a

The only feature I see possibly coming to iPod touch (aside from cosmetic changes) would be side volume controls. If we're really lucky, speakers.

17. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

3MP Camera, GPS, and a Slide-out keyboard would NEVER happen in the next generation, and the slide-out keyboard would 99.9% never happen. I could see bluetooth coming, if it's not already in it. Speakers would be a big plus, and side volume controls sometime in the future.

18. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

19. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

why are people obsessed with the iPod having iPhone features? its an MP3 and video player theres no need at all for a camera let alone gps or a slide out keyboard and why bluetooth? if its for file sharing between ipods then I guess they could have an Infared setup or maybe some kind of app that uses the wifi

20. jbarr macrumors regular

My #1 hardware request is for an external speaker. Nothing fancy. Doesn't need to be stereo or hi-fidelity. It just needs to be able to let me hear a music or video clip or a loud alarm without needing headphones.

Yes, I realize this is a departure from the iPod line, but really, how tough would it be?

As for software features, the iPT/iPhone really needs more solid PIM applications.

Enhanced notes with labels would be great
    ToDo manager
    Enhanced Calendar

Or better yet, roll all of these into one ala Pimlico Software's DateBK app for the Palm....

21. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

i wouldnt mind bluetooh, but i do agree, why no wifi file exchange?

22. swano macrumors member

Speakers!

I would also have to say that the features mentioned probably won't happen. It's is, after all, an iPod not a PDA. However, since it plays videos it would be nice to have a small speaker so you can let people watch videos without them having to wear headphones. A nice loud alarm that you could program what would play would be nice as well.
    That's my two cents.

23. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I am with you on that note it does make sense to have speakers on it so you dont have to share headphones or have to play something multiple times for others to hear.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

1. This would be a nice option. However, I doubt we will see this.

2. GPS would be nice as well. The beauty of GPS with an iPhone is that you can DL the map regardless of location. With the Touch, you can only DL via WiFi, so that would limit it's use. If I were a betting man, I would say we will not see GPS in the Touch.

3. By definition, we won't see one. However, my guess is that we will see third party keyboard options with the connector at the bottom after the SDK is released.

One nice thing about the Touch is that it is small, thin and very portable. It's primary purpose is to function as an iPod which it does very well IMHO. Everything else is gravy.

As for me, longer battery life would be nice. When using the screen and WiFi, the battery life decreases considerably. Keep it thin.

Sounds like a third party option for those who would like this option.

25. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

I want to be able to stream from my iTunes (a la tv) so I can call up any TV show, Movie, song or Audiobook from anywhere in the house without having to sync anytime I want.