Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
The TV app is absolutely worthless.

1. Limited Channel Support
    The TV app doesn't support HBO, PBS, or any other channel I watch, other than Showtime. The entire premise for this app is invalid if it doesn't work for the channels people actually want to watch.

2. No Personalized Show Tracking
    The TV app only tracks TV shows watched on a particular cable subscription account, without any way to differentiate between different viewers within a given household. This isn't rocket science. Netflix figured this out years ago.

3. Unwanted Promotional Content
    Aside from the fact that the app fails to deliver on its main premise, that feature is further clouded over by the clutter of promotional garbage littered all across the app. Featured shows and movies I purchased years ago which I have no intention of watching again. Featured shows and movies that Apple and its partners want me to buy or rent. Featured shows and movies that Apple's partners want me to watch, even though I have zero interest in watching them. This is precisely the sort of junk I was trying to avoid when I cut the cord and returned my cable box years ago. I expected an app tailored to my needs and wants. Instead Apple tries to sneak in a bunch of advertising.
This is almost as disappointing as the Apple TVs much ballyhooed Universal Search, which to this day doesn't work with Plex or most other third party apps. That, on top of the fact that their "Home Sharing" content still has the same crappy 10 year old user interface.
[doublepost=1479169510][/doublepost]

Neither Netflix nor Amazon Prime are supported. Nor are HBO, PBS, Hulu, or most other channels.

You do realize this is a Beta, right?

Reactions: Goatllama

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Does anybody know how to receive the iOS TV app & single sign on if outside of the US? The iOS update is universal.

Is it region setting, as was the case with transcripts & Apple News??

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013

The TV app doesn't support HBO, PBS, or any other channel I watch, other than Showtime. The entire premise for this app is invalid if it doesn't work for the channels people actually want to watch.

2. No Personalized Show Tracking
    The TV app only tracks TV shows watched on a particular cable subscription account, without any way to differentiate between different viewers within a given household. This isn't rocket science. Netflix figured this out years ago.

3. Unwanted Promotional Content
    Aside from the fact that the app fails to deliver on its main premise, that feature is further clouded over by the clutter of promotional garbage littered all across the app. Featured shows and movies I purchased years ago which I have no intention of watching again. Featured shows and movies that Apple and its partners want me to buy or rent. Featured shows and movies that Apple's partners want me to watch, even though I have zero interest in watching them. This is precisely the sort of junk I was trying to avoid when I cut the cord and returned my cable box years ago. I expected an app tailored to my needs and wants. Instead Apple tries to sneak in a bunch of advertising.
This is almost as disappointing as the Apple TVs much ballyhooed Universal Search, which to this day doesn't work with Plex or most other third party apps. That, on top of the fact that their "Home Sharing" content still has the same crappy 10 year old user interface.
[doublepost=1479169510][/doublepost]

Neither Netflix nor Amazon Prime are supported. Nor are HBO, PBS, Hulu, or most other channels.

You do realize it's beta and they're still building on it?

I think the TV app is fantastic. It will support HBO pretty soon by the way.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Send with Love. Awesome.

Now fix my battery drain and percentage meter freezing, Apple. I know you're busy coming up with cute emoticons and new ways to sell us services but my iPhone 6S Plus can't get me through the day anymore after iOS 10.
And, you know, plenty of other bug fixes and improvements.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I'm not sure they ever intended it to be a bigger rollout, or at least I'm not sure they intended to target the USA at this juncture. The liability on that in a US environment is going to be prohibitive, but in India this is necessary in order to do business.

True. The government decided that all phones need to have a hardware button dedicated to SOS purposes. On phones without a touchscreen - the candy bars - this feature is to be associated with the number 9 key.

Reactions: andresro14

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio

I think the apps themselves have to put out an update. I had an update to the CBS app tonight and in the update notes it listed support for TV App.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I've been an Apple enthusiast for a long time, but sometimes I feel that Apple's software beta tester is a soccer Mom. If her needs are met, they're good.

You are Apple's software beta tester.* That doesn't mean you can't be a soccer mum at the same time, of course. If you find something you don't like then report it to Apple.

*Unless you don't actually participate in the beta program and get your opinions from the chitchat in this thread.

devincentis

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2016
Can everyone else get the Watch Now to work? I touch Get Started and nothing happens. Tried quitting and restarting both the app and phone without luck.

bilbo84

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2015
Does anybody know how to receive the iOS TV app & single sign on if outside of the US? The iOS update is universal.

Is it region setting, as was the case with transcripts & Apple News??

I'm in the US and the app doesn't show up.

Does anyone know what dictates you hsrting the app at all? I've trying reinstalling the beta and different apple id's but no luck.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
I don't expect the TV app will ever leave America. In the UK the tvOS app store is so barren anyway there would be little content for the TV app to draw from, especially as it inexplicably omits Netflix.

The Apple TV is a baffling product. It could have been so big, but Apple bungled it on every front. It's the worst streamer on the market due to a crippling lack of content, Siri (which could have been a trump card) being gimped beyond belief, that there is virtually no non US content thus rendering the box useless internationally, and that it's beyond terrible as a gaming system.

It could have been so different, but as time goes on it becomes ever clearer that the only product Apple give a stuff over is the iPhone, and even that got a rough deal this year.

Reactions: PJWilkin

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
I'm in the US and the app doesn't show up.

Does anyone know what dictates you hsrting the app at all? I've trying reinstalling the beta and different apple id's but no luck.

That's a bit strange. I've researched this everywhere & found nothing. I keep finding info about Apple News!

If it's not Apple ID or IP or Region, I'm completely out of ideas. Its a universal app!

Anyone outside the US had any luck?

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Color me superficial but that TV app icon. *cringes* looks so out of place.

You're right. But at this point I have accepted that Apple doesn't care anymore. Creating a new icon has apparently become a 5 minute job handled by an interim. While they used to be little pieces of art.

Look at the Apple Watch app icon, or the camera icon. I can't believe how ugly these are. But still, we manage to survive and continue to buy iOS devices. So why would Apple care and invest more resources on this?

Reactions: Goatllama

jb-net

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Austria
Please bring back the Video.app. Video doesn't automatically mean TV. Why would anybody assume to find their private iMovie videos in the TV.app? That has nothing to do with TV!

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Could mean they will eventually put TV and Film/Movie content into two seperate apps. I wish they would create a seperate app for Music Videos. Since they moved them from Videos to Music I'm finding it really difficult to find anything.

Last edited:

mark-vdw

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
I hate how you have to choose upon purchase whether to buy something in HD or SD. I want to have the SD version stored on the iPad, but watch the HD version when I'm watching it through AppleTV. Is a hybrid format so impossible to do?

Reactions: liberte1776

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I don't mind the new TV app, but for now, I prefer the Videos app. I'm glad they let you redownload it. The reason I still prefer it is because non-purchased videos don't show the correct artwork yet, unlike the videos app. Hopefully that will be fixed by the final beta.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
I hate how you have to choose upon purchase whether to buy something in HD or SD. I want to have the SD version stored on the iPad, but watch the HD version when I'm watching it through AppleTV. Is a hybrid format so impossible to do?
I thought you got the SD version if you bought the HD? Is that not the case anymore? I know after buying HD one time it asked if I wanted to download the HD or SD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.