Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple often adds new features to its built-in apps with each iOS update, and iOS 14 is no exception. Many apps have important new features, including Apple Maps, which gains cycling directions, EV routes, guides, and more.

iOS14NewMapsFeature.jpg

This guide highlights all of the new features that Apple has added to the Maps app in the iOS and iPadOS 14 updates.

Cycling Directions

Maps in iOS 14 offers cycling directions for bike riders for the first time, putting it on par with Google Maps. Cycling directions take into account bike lanes, bike paths, and bike-friendly roads to get you where you need to go.

ios14cycling1.jpg

You can preview the elevation for your route so you know just how difficult it will be, and see how busy the streets are with traffic. There are options to avoid steep inclines or stairs where you would have to carry your bike.

ios14cycling2.jpg

Cycling directions expand to the Apple Watch in watchOS 7 with Maps offering voice guidance and directions that make it easy to navigate with just a glance.

Cycling directions are limited to a handful of cities that include New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Beijing, and Shanghai.
Routes With EV Stops

If you have an electric vehicle that's compatible with the iPhone, Maps will automatically add charging stops along your route when you plan out a trip.

ios14mapsev.jpg

The EV route option will also account for time spent charging when creating an estimated time of arrival, and the Maps app is able to keep track of current charge and charger type to provide customized routes for electric vehicle owners.

To use this feature, an electric vehicle needs to be synced to the iPhone, and it is not an option that's available without an EV so it won't work when planning a trip with a friend that uses an electric vehicle, for example.

Right now, routes with EV stops work with vehicles from BMW and Ford.

Guides

Apple in iOS 13 added "Collections," a feature that lets you make lists of places to visit either for yourself or for friends and family. In iOS 14, "Collections" has been renamed to "Guides."

applemapsios14guides.jpg

You can continue to make your own Guides on a device running iOS/iPadOS 14 (or macOS Big Sur), but Apple is also now providing a curated selection of guide options created by trusted brands.

Guides provide recommendations for the best places to visit in a city, offering up suggestions on places to eat, shop, and explore. Guides can be saved to Maps, and automatically update as new places are added.

Some of Apple's partners for Guides include Lonely Planet, the Washington Post, AllTrails, The Infatuation, and more.

Redesign Expansion

Apple last year started rolling out an updated Maps design with more detail for elements like roads, buildings, parks, beaches, marinas, forests, and more, and in iOS 14, those updated Map designs are expanding to new locations.

applemapsredesign.jpg

The updated Maps have rolled out across the United States as of 2019 and are now expanding to Canada, Ireland, and the UK.

Speed Cameras

If there are speed cameras and red-light cameras along your route, Apple will now let you know as you approach them. There's also an option to see where cameras are located on the map.

Refine Location

If you're in an urban area where GPS isn't working great and Maps isn't quite registering you in the right location, you can use the new refine location feature to get a highly accurate location reading to better orient yourself.

Refine location will ask you to use your iPhone to scan buildings that are nearby to narrow down where you're at, taking advantage of the Look Around feature added in iOS 13.

Because it uses Look Around, refine location is limited to places that include San Francisco, New York, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Washington, DC, as well as Oahu in Hawaii. Location matching done with the refine location feature is done on device.

Congestion Zones

Some big cities like Paris and London use congestion zones to reduce traffic in areas where traffic can be bad. Maps in iOS 14 shows congestion zone tolls and provides options for routing around them if desired.

congestionrestrictionsios14maps.jpg

There are also cities that limit access to certain high traffic roads by license plate, and Apple Maps also now supports license plate info so you can determine whether you're allowed to use a road on a given day.

Guide Feedback

Have questions about the Maps app, know of a feature we left out, or or want to offer feedback on this guide? Send us an email here.

Article Link: What's New in iOS 14 Maps: Cycling Directions, Guides, Refine Location and More

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

pioneer9k

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2016
I really just wish they had a way to show how busy a location was. That's the main thing that makes me use google maps. It's not 100% accurate but its accurate enough to quickly see when the busy times are and greatly influences my visits.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I really just wish they had a way to show how busy a location was. That's the main thing that makes me use google maps. It's not 100% accurate but its accurate enough to quickly see when the busy times are and greatly influences my visits.
That's the one area where Google holds a big edge: business and POI info. Apple Maps is fantastic (in my experience) for driving and transit directions, but looking for a grocery store or a car wash or something, Google generally has more data.
[automerge]1596235411[/automerge]
Now only 10 years behind Google maps

Do you actually use Apple Maps?

Reactions: Eraserhead

PrecisionGem

Suspended
Jan 25, 2019
Maryland
These new features discriminmate against most uses. Shame on Apple. Sorry we don’t all have the proper BMW and live in San Fran...

KrispE00

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2016
It’s been 1 year since the introduction of Look Around, and Apple still has a pretty poor list of cities included. Only 10 in 1 year. With all that money and all the data they’ve collected from the maps cars, cranking out a few cities a month should be extremely easy.

Reactions: SDJim

JMO1

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2017
Getting closer.

I still rely on google maps for more POI for restaurants and business

AND

shaded area that are highly trafficked; this is great when traveling.

get these two and I’m deleting google maps

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
I'm surprised that Apple didn't use my tiny nation first to release the cycling directions feature. It is very easy to release it here in The Netherlands, because our cycling paths are basically every road except for the highways ;)

But you can even cycle over the Afsluitdijk, because we put a cycling path next to the highway. Although I gotta say that Google Maps here is incorrect, since the cycling path is currently closed due to reconstruction and reinforcement works.
Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.03.26.png

EvanBatter

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2020
I wish Apple would let me start a training on my Watch (walking/running/cycling) instantly, whenever I start a corresponding navigation in Maps.
(have already filed a suggestion >1year ago via feedback-app)

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I can’t believe you have to sync your verdicke to get charge stops. Why?
And BMW and Ford only? Do they even offer EVs?
I know nothing about EVs, but a couple of hypotheses, maybe to get only the compatible ones?
Also, is it still “free” to recharge them at the super chargers? Because maybe then they will probably want to channel you to those that are subsidized or have any sort of partnership with said company (hence the “free” quotes, someone has to pay that electricity and a part is maybe the same company vía de price of the car).

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
And damn, all the biking examples are several hours of trajectory... the approach taken is definitely not so much about “I take a public bike transportation service for 15mins to go to work downtown because it’s faster or I don’t have the means for a car (let alone EV one)” layman.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I’ve checked various locations and they all say cycling is unavailable.
As of the last time I tried it out, of all the listed cities...The San Francisco Bay Area is the only one that currently has it available. Maybe we'll see the other listed areas throughout the remainder of the betas and then see them all on iOS 14's official release day...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.