Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therenjoseph

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019

With the iPad Pro, Apple introduced an overhauled version of the Magic Keyboard to add new features that make using an iPad Pro feel more like using a Mac. If you’re thinking about buying one of the new iPad Pro models and don’t know if you should get a keyboard, this article walks through all of the new features.

magic-keyboard-1.jpg

Design

Apple hasn’t changed the underlying look of the Magic Keyboard, and it continues to use the floating cantilever design introduced with the prior version.

magic-keyboard-2.jpg

A magnetic back connects to the iPad, allowing for multiple viewing angles by adjusting the amount of tilt. The iPad hovers over the keyboard and palm rest, which is now made from aluminum, much like the MacBook.

The keys are backlit and use a scissor mechanism with 1mm of travel, the same as the prior-generation model. The outer cover provides front and back protection to keep the iPad safe when traveling.

Function Keys

The updated Magic Keyboard has a dedicated row of function keys for increasing and lowering brightness, changing the volume, controlling media playback, locking the display, initiating a search, turning on Do Not Disturb, starting dictation, and more.

magic-keyboard-3.jpg

The function row is similar to the function row on the Mac.

Trackpad

Apple made the trackpad from glass and increased the size, making it easier to work with. The trackpad supports haptic feedback, allowing for multi-touch gestures and improving precision-based tasks like editing spreadsheets and selecting text.

Colors

The Magic Keyboard comes in black and white.

magic-keyboard-4.jpg

Passthrough Charging

While the Magic Keyboard uses the Smart Connector on the iPad to connect, there is an included USB-C port that can be used for passthrough charging.

Compatibility

The new Magic Keyboard is compatible with the M4 iPad Pro models, and it comes in 11-inch and 13-inch sizes. It does not work with other iPad models, and the prior version of the Magic Keyboard does not work with the M4 iPad Pro models.

Price

The 11-inch version of the Magic Keyboard is priced at $299, and the 13-inch model is $349.

Article Link: What’s New With the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard
I wonder if the outside materials are the same as the previous generation. The silicony material they used before was not great and did not look pretty after wear and tear with my 2018 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard. I’ve managed to cover it up with a skin but wish the outside case was also aluminum

soldano

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
For the love of god, i don’t want using an iPad Pro to feel like using a Mac. If i want to use a Mac, I’ll use a Mac. Bring back the Smart Folio keyboard.

Reactions: escargot3

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Logic, FCP, Procreate, hell, even Garageband are heavy enough.

And iPadOS has been forked from iOS, so let's not be disingenuous.

That said, the iPad is INTENDED to handle lighter-than-MBP tasks, as the latter is a truck as compared to the car that is the iPad. Still, the iPad is pushing some tonnage.
Agreed,

I do batch processing of RAW photos on my OG 11" iPad Pro with zero issues. Looking forward to a huge jump in HP and better overall performance on the new models.

There was a period of time my iPad Pro was faster than my i7 MacBook Pro 15" at editing 4K and RAW photos.

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
My biggest objection to a setup like this is iPadOS-based:

Unless Apple fixed it from the other MK, three-finger drag DOES NOT WORK with this.

Combine that limitation with the ones on the Files app and...

I bought an MBA M2 for that.

I WANT to not need it, but my M1 iPad is still (frustratingly) secondary to my Mac.

And NO, macOS on the iPad is not the solution here (which is also moot: Apple is NEVER doing it).
What exactly do you mean by "three-finger drag"? I don't see anything other than cycling through open Spaces or Stages when using three fingers on either my Mac or iPad.

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
The new 11” iPad Pro is about 20 grams lighter. I am not sure if that’s enough to make the base of the keyboard any lighter.
Its a good question. Is it any lighter? Did the engineering of weight distribution change so that they could use less weight while maintaining balance? Grams are everything when discussing one-handed products.
Also, I have not been able to find any information about the weight of the magic keyboard, so I guess it would be hard to write about something you don’t have information about.
Content makers like Brian Tong have hands on content that mention their experience with the weight difference—maybe one of the dozens of reporters at the event mentioned the Magic Keyboard in their hands-on reviews and so they can be referenced and quoted—but I get it—Apple puts up a roadblock when they aren't publishing specs just yet.

Reactions: arc of the universe

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
I keep reading the promo material about the “new larger trackpad,” but looking at my current Ipad/Magic Keyboard I just don’t see where is the space for that enlargement with inclusion of the new function keys??? Is it actually noticeably “bigger” or just marginally so?
On the new one, the iPad sits further back, as its lighter weight means the center of gravity can be moved back. This opens up some space that allows the keyboard to be moved back and half-height function keys to be added.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
So now the keyboard basically replicates a MacBook, is there much doubt some form of MacOS is coming sooner or later?

You don’t add function keys for no reason.

You don’t make a hugely more laptop like trackpad when the old one sort of worked ok if on the small side.

A vocal group are lobbying for this to happen.

The hardware is up to the task.
Adding MacOS would really be the final step to “Let Loose”…

• Disagree
Reactions: escargot3

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
My biggest objection to a setup like this is iPadOS-based:

Unless Apple fixed it from the other MK, three-finger drag DOES NOT WORK with this.

Combine that limitation with the ones on the Files app and...

I bought an MBA M2 for that.

I WANT to not need it, but my M1 iPad is still (frustratingly) secondary to my Mac.

And NO, macOS on the iPad is not the solution here (which is also moot: Apple is NEVER doing it).
Never?

Jobs didn’t agree with App Store. Or pencils.
Keyboards and mice were seen as accessibility options not mainstream…

Never say never ;)

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
I don’t get how the larger iPad keyboard is the same price as the newest gen entry level iPad…
The keyboard cost is the single biggest barrier of entrance with the iPad Pros. I work in IT, not finance, so I don’t know these prices are derived, but it’s ludicrous. I mean, it’s working for them, but it’s absurd. A keyboard should NOT cost almost half of the price of the device you’re purchasing. Period.

Last edited:

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
Agreed,

I do batch processing of RAW photos on my OG 11" iPad Pro with zero issues. Looking forward to a huge jump in HP and better overall performance on the new models.

There was a period of time my iPad Pro was faster than my i7 MacBook Pro 15" at editing 4K and RAW photos.
Interesting to hear this, admittedly I must be stuck in my old ways in thinking that iPads are just an enlarged iPhone.

I have an 11” pro myself, and the most complex task I’ve used it for is editing a Wordpress website. Programming, video/image editing all belong on the Mac for my workflow.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
What exactly do you mean by "three-finger drag"? I don't see anything other than cycling through open Spaces or Stages when using three fingers on either my Mac or iPad.
3 finger dragging of files or windows is awesome. t was moved to accessibility but I use it all the time.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 06.23.19.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Unregistered 4U

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
So now the keyboard basically replicates a MacBook, is there much doubt some form of MacOS is coming sooner or later?

You don’t add function keys for no reason.

You don’t make a hugely more laptop like trackpad when the old one sort of worked ok if on the small side.

A vocal group are lobbying for this to happen.

The hardware is up to the task.
Adding MacOS would really be the final step to “Let Loose”…
Extend your Mac desktop to your iPad using sidecar to see what it would be like. It’s not a pleasant experience and it’s usability is low….especially on touch only.

Reactions: jazz1 and The Clark

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
What if the keyboards have a rubber ring around the edge? You honestly think a multi-trillion dollar company didn’t test it or think of something as trivial as that?

We've seen the keyboards, they have no rubber ring around the edge.

Apple makes mistakes, they're not perfect. In theory it wont scratch if your deck and screen are 100% free of debris, but anything gets sandwiched in between it will cause scratches. Similar to how Macbook keyboards leave marks on the screen of Macs.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
We've seen the keyboards, they have no rubber ring around the edge.

Apple makes mistakes, they're not perfect. In theory it wont scratch if your deck and screen are 100% free of debris, but anything gets sandwiched in between it will cause scratches. Similar to how Macbook keyboards leave marks on the screen of Macs.
When I had the 11" IPP with MKB, I used a screen protector which solved that problem.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I just can’t see the justification in spending the money on one of these, they decrease mobility a ton and you pretty much always have to use the iPad like this. The whole advantage of iPad is portability and being able to use it however. Id just use my MacBook instead if I want a keyboard like this

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I just can’t see the justification in spending the money on one of these, they decrease mobility a ton and you pretty much always have to use the iPad like this. The whole advantage of iPad is portability and being able to use it however. Id just use my MacBook instead if I want a keyboard like this
If Apple offered Promotion with an updated chip and speakers on the Mini, I think it would steal the show for many people.

You are right about portability with the larger size especially the 13." I don't know a lot of people that enjoy typing on the iPad.

Reactions: goobot

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

Taking the iPad off the keyboard is beyond easy. Far far easier than taking a case off an iPhone. There are lots of reasons (most of them with dollar signs in front of them) not to buy and use the Magic Keyboard. This is not one of them.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.