Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Taking the iPad off the keyboard is beyond easy. Far far easier than taking a case off an iPhone. There are lots of reasons (most of them with dollar signs in front of them) not to buy and use the Magic Keyboard. This is not one of them.
Yes I understand that but then your iPad is not protected and can’t be propped up, also the basic case allows for it to be in multiple configurations

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
We've seen the keyboards, they have no rubber ring around the edge.

Apple makes mistakes, they're not perfect. In theory it wont scratch if your deck and screen are 100% free of debris, but anything gets sandwiched in between it will cause scratches. Similar to how Macbook keyboards leave marks on the screen of Macs.
The rubber ring is around the keyboard area.

Kiteflygolf

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
And it still doesn’t completely protect the iPad or secure the pencil. WTH????!!! These are basic attributes Apple product engineers fail to grasp. maybe, just maybe they should have asked their customer base what they want in a case/keyboard before they put ideas into development. Wouldn’t that be a novel idea. I thought Apple was supposed to be the King of design. Masters of customer satisfaction. Forecasting the future of what their customers need. How can sooooo many designers and engineers be so incredibly stupid that they can’t design a case to inherently do a case is supposed to do….protect the product/investment!!! That should be the first Bullet in the development/design process.

• Disagree
Reactions: deruch

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Don't terminate background apps like terminal windows
It's hard to believe that iPads now use the same CPUs as Macs and theoretically have just as much computing power available, but iPadOS STILL DOES THIS.

What's even the motivation at this point? Are they just trying to differentiate it artificially from the Mac?

This is one of the reasons I'll continue to use a Mac instead of an iPad and likely will never own another iPad. It's needlessly hobbled.

Reactions: throAU and jole

Hildy

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
I’m still wondering why the extra battery mass isn’t added to the keyboard? Make the iPads even lighter and allow them to charge while docked to the keyboard even when the usb-c is unplugged. I used to think the Magic Keyboard would have a number of performance enhancements like a battery, extra memory, extra ports/slots, speakers etc. Basically a dock that makes a lightweight iPad closer to a laptop when connected.

Reactions: Shifts and jole

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
My biggest concern is the lack of side protection on this and the folio case. One slip and the corner is going to get dinged up. Has anyone that owned these type of cases in the past have any comments?

Oh and the price.
I’ve been using the Smart Folio Keyboard case for 6 years with an iPad Pro. It is an earlier type of keyboard like thiis with magnetic attachment and no sides. I much prefer it over the Logitech kind that cover the sides. Those end up feeling bulky and heavy. The no-side keyboards are lighter and because there are no sides, it is easy to take the iPad off and use it as a tablet. Having sides mean that you need to pry the iPad out of the case each time which would suck.

I’ve never damaged my iPad because the keyboard didn’t protect the sides. Unless you drop it on the floor, there just isn’t much that is going to damage the iPad. When transporting, I use a slide in soft “briefcase” that I also carry my laptop in.

the price of these is getting a little into nose-bleed territory for a keyboard.

jole

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Unfortunately the previous gen magic keyboard was extremely heavy. Pretty much doubling the size and weight of the otherwise amazingly sleek iPad Pro. Looks like this new gen keyboard has the same problem - otherwise Apple would have not hidden the specs.

One reason for the excessive weight was that to keep the whole thing in balance there were metal weights under the palm rest. In my opinion carrying dead weight is unacceptable. Metal weights should be replaced by batteries to expand the battery life instead.

Reactions: dekadent

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I ordered one. I only had a regular smart folio for my 2018 Pro. figured I would bite the bullet here.

what I really want is a sleek standalone stand where it looks like the iPad is just hovering.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
My #1 criticism of these two designs is that it takes the fact it is tablet and destroys it.

I want to be writing something, using the trackpad, have an idea and need to flip the keyboard around, grab the pencil and do a quick sketch, and then flip it back around and continue typing.

Such a missed opportunity. I think the Logitech cases come the closest to nailing it for me, but I would love a branded option…maybe v3
I like that you can so easily take these off of the keyboard because of the magnets. It makes it really easy to switch to tablet mode. With the Logitech keyboards, the iPad is locked into a case so you can’t just casually take it out without a lot more effort.

Reactions: jole and jazz1

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I could swear while watching the event video they showed a keyboard with a numeric keypad. I was sure hoping that was the case
Where would the numpad go, though?

I’ve sometimes thought about getting an external Bluetooth numpad, but then I remind myself that I just don’t do that much numeric data entry.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I like that you can so easily take these off of the keyboard because of the magnets. It makes it really easy to switch to tablet mode. With the Logitech keyboards, the iPad is locked into a case so you can’t just casually take it out without a lot more effort.
You keep the case on, which protects it and the kickstand helps prop it up in tablet mode.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I’ve been using the Smart Folio Keyboard case for 6 years with an iPad Pro. It is an earlier type of keyboard like thiis with magnetic attachment and no sides. I much prefer it over the Logitech kind that cover the sides. Those end up feeling bulky and heavy. The no-side keyboards are lighter and because there are no sides, it is easy to take the iPad off and use it as a tablet. Having sides mean that you need to pry the iPad out of the case each time which would suck.

I’ve never damaged my iPad because the keyboard didn’t protect the sides. Unless you drop it on the floor, there just isn’t much that is going to damage the iPad. When transporting, I use a slide in soft “briefcase” that I also carry my laptop in.

the price of these is getting a little into nose-bleed territory for a keyboard.
I would probably go this route if it was still around. I still miss the Smart Cover from my iPad Pro 1st gen. I just need a keyboard in a pinch when I am out and about. Most of the time I use my iPad as a tablet and do serious typing on it with an external keyboard on a table. One of the benefits to that Logitech kickstand case is that it lets you remove the keyboard and set the angle. As you mentioned, it’s heavier and I would prefer something like this. Maybe a third party will fill the void.

Reactions: jazz1

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Haven’t owned the iPad Magic Keyboard before, but will be getting this one in white. The trackpad on the 13 definitely looks larger than the 11 — are the keys larger too?

Tempor_aka

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2021
The more I see pictures, the more I'm sure that it's the wrong option for me. I want something that protects the ipad when detached, props up the ipad for drawing or watching stuff when detached, and has something that holds the pencil in place. The Zagg pro keys is definitely my favorite option, but they have no ETA on getting one, so I'm probably going to go with the logitech and return the apple one. I wish it didn't have a trackpad and had a place to store the pencil securely though.

Hope they update it for the new one …

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
And it still doesn’t completely protect the iPad or secure the pencil. WTH????!!! These are basic attributes Apple product engineers fail to grasp. maybe, just maybe they should have asked their customer base what they want in a case/keyboard before they put ideas into development. Wouldn’t that be a novel idea. I thought Apple was supposed to be the King of design. Masters of customer satisfaction. Forecasting the future of what their customers need. How can sooooo many designers and engineers be so incredibly stupid that they can’t design a case to inherently do a case is supposed to do….protect the product/investment!!! That should be the first Bullet in the development/design process.
You can get a Logitech case that fully wraps around the iPad if you want. I hate that kind of case. I much prefer the magnetic attachment of these cases and have not need to wrap in that kind of protection. It makes it bulky, heavy, and hard to get the tablet out. Apple seems to feel that most iPad Pro users want a slimmer keyboard.

Reactions: lars666

SebCohen

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2022
I have the 12.9 M1 and I want this soooo bad.

I will DEFINITELY NOT buy this until iPadOS is actually pro….the iPad is now 1000x faster than what most people use as a laptop? And it’s got the keyboard. You can use a mouse. Or a touchpad. And Files? Come on Apple.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Extend your Mac desktop to your iPad using sidecar to see what it would be like. It’s not a pleasant experience and it’s usability is low….especially on touch only.
I can’t imagine them letting you use touch as input on an iPad. Hence the bigger touchpad or add a mouse.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
That’s disappointing. They still haven’t figured out how to make it more stable when using it on a lap or when in bed and viewing angles are still somewhat limited.
The cantilever design was pretty much the best solution possible. Otherwise all you can do is increase keyboard base weight or increase resting footprint, neither of which anyone really wants. I don’t see what else can be done just due to physics. It’s the necessary trade off of having a detachable tablet/keyboard.
Obviously decreasing the tablet weight is the other way to go and is the most ideal way to increase stability, but that would of course require not also reducing the weight or footprint of the keyboard base. In this case Apple reduced the weight of the new MK (not sure by how much though). I wonder if people would have been happy if Apple kept the MK the same weight as before for better stability. I kind of think most people prefer the reduced overall weight though.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008

Personally, I don't want any extra gram of weight on the Magic Keyboard for more protection which I don't need. That's how opinions differ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.