Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Chernobyl (HBO mini-series)

I thought it was extremely well done. At only 5 episodes, it didn't feel too rushed, nor did it leave any questions unanswered. And being a true story, I was glad to see it has a relatively high level of accuracy.

My one major gripe with this show was the use of British accents. It just doesn't fit. The story itself is strong enough to not let this issue be a significant distraction, but it really undermines the show's authenticity in my opinion. According to this article, series creator Craig Mazin "thought they would have actors use vague, eastern European accents, but then they realized that actors would act accents, not their roles." So... huh? So that was a conscious decision? :rolleyes: Plenty of shows have done Russian and/or Ukrainian accents well (The Americans comes to mind) and it hasn't detracted from the quality.

Overall, definitely worth watching.
I used to agree about the accent thing, however they're speaking English and that's not realistic either.

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
Just finished the first season of Mr. Robot. It's a good show, it just feels like sometimes it's trying too hard to be controversial and philosophical.

Reactions: 0388631

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
Krypton was ok
never could figure why a tax payer would be into comic book genre.
but
i watched it too, help me out here?

we finished up on Lost In Space
seems they will release season 02 mid 2020
i liked the out door shots, mountains & nature stuff. the Dr Smith was evil and the character work for me. The Will Robinson character also worked for me. Other than that the script could be more better cutting edge some how.

might start the Marco Polo series

Last edited:

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Started season 1 of The Boys on Amazon... Wow, this is gory in a kinda crazy excellent sort of way. It's off to an interesting start. I'm surprised to see a few familiar faces, notably Simon Pegg and Anthony Starr (from Cinemax's Banshee).

Also, it's already been renewed for a second season.

250px-TheBoysPoster.png

Synopsis: With no more than blue-collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty, a group of vigilantes known informally as "The Boys" set out to take down corrupt superheroes who abuse their superpowers and embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame.

Last edited:
Reactions: genshi

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
we are watching Catastrophe 2015 season 01
REALLY QUITE GOOD!

thought the 2nd season darker and not as good

Last edited:

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
For example, - re Foyle's War - and some of the best in British among British actors playing supporting roles, or character roles in certain specific episodes of Foyle's War, in some early episodes Edward Fox and Charles Dance and Robert Hardy featured - Charles Dance played an especially nasty upper class Nazi sympathiser in an early episode, while Andrew Scott played (yes Fleabag) a heart-breaking role in an episode set shortly after the end of the war.

Elsewhere, Ellie Haddington played a superb (understated) role as a senior officer in SOE, a recurring role throughout the series, through the war stretching into the postwar years when she played Foyle's superior when he switched to intelligence work rather than police work - the character was named Hilda Pierce in Foyle's War, but I have long suspected that she was loosely based on (or inspired by) Vera Atkins.

The superlative episode in series three - "A War of Nerves" - which included an outstanding role played by Dugald Bruce Lockhart (Captain Hammond) of the RSC (I saw him live in a performance of Henry V) actually seems to have included two real life stories, both of which were extraordinary.

Hopefully more Foyle’s War?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...v?shareToken=90b796bf6b632577f487fb935efadd08

11b5feffbbb2a7ade3c6c77443017aaa.jpg
a865fb19a8489ed3211a25c76275fe5f.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Legion (on FX) ended the series on a high note. If anyone gave up after the mess of a second season, give the third (final) a try. It redeemed the series, in my opinion.

Reactions: D.T.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Legion (on FX) ended the series on a high note. If anyone gave up after the mess of a second season, give the third (final) a try. It redeemed the series, in my opinion.
I have one more episode of Season 3 to go!
[doublepost=1565899011][/doublepost]Our Planet (2019 Netflix)- If you need to stop taking this planet for granted, and marvel at this blue gem that we live on, watch this limited Netflix Series, which is very much like the Blue Planet Series.

BFAD16C4-B112-456A-B6E6-3F687BADAC39.jpeg

Last edited:

xflatearthx

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2019
Florida
The only show on TV I watch anymore is It's Always Sunny, but the season hasn't started yet.

Aside from that I just watch repeats of the Office on Netflix, repeats of Curb or a random Seinfeld episode.

I wasn't a big Sacha Baron Cohen fan, but I watched Who Is America? on Showtime and quickly became a fan so I've watched some of his Ali G clips on YouTube and I decided I need to queue the entire run.

Last edited:

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
finished season 04 of "The 4400" and it is obviously watchable but
over all review may be season 01 is not that good, seasons 2,3 and 4 are better. Just the screen writing is not consistent.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Well, the season kinda went down a weird road toward the end, but overall it was really entertaining. Looking forward to season 2 next year.
I've seen through episode 3. It's so dark, I can only handle one episode at a time. Then, we watch a bit of Legends and finish off with Schitt's Creek so I can go to bed on a good note.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.