Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Apologies for the late reply... I'm re-reading this thread looking for gems...

Noticed that there's an earlier version of this (2011-2018) set in Denmark and Sweden:

"When a body is found on the bridge between Denmark and Sweden, right on the border, Danish inspector Martin Rohde and Swedish Saga Norén have to share jurisdiction and work together to find the killer."
Recycled for another market. My impression, this happens frequently.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Fall of the House of Usher (2023 Netflix Limited Series)- 2 Episodes in- PASS! Dark, heidonistic, evil drug company family, evil haunts, and blah, blah, blah, blah, just did not grab me. 😐

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Getting ready to watch Invasion Season 2, I restarted from the beginning Season 1, very enjoyable, I’m up to Episode 8. I was surprised at all the negative comments in the forum thread below. I guess in some corners, there is an expectation of action up front, instead of devoting an above average amount of time to character group dynamics and relationships, slow on action up front. My comment there:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Special Ops: Lioness (2023, Paramount+)- 2 episodes in, this is good with a hard edge.

IMG_3158.jpeg

Reactions: Chuckeee

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Special Ops: Lioness (2023, Paramount+)- 2 episodes in, this is good with a hard edge.

Finished this up, thumbs up. The story is a little messy and feels a little unrealistic, but what can you expect these days? ;) A key feature is the main character Zoe Saldana balancing her family life against traveling the world hunting terrorists. I’ll also question taking a marine with zero espionage training and inserting them into a spy craft setting. “I have not been trained for this!” Nicole Kidman looks like she always has her lips pursed in a peculiar way. And then there are people at the top levels (Morgan Freeman) questioning the Operation. Well, just go with the flow. :D The climax is fast and brutal. Show has been renewed for a second season.

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I was really interested in the new Shogun series, as the original mini-series was so important that I bought a VCR before the show was released.

Unfortunately, it feels like a bunch of anime producers and fans got together, didn't read the book, didn't watch the mini-series, and just guessed at what would be great. Of course, Mifune Toshiro is dead and his replacement for Toranaga (an actor I like) isn't up to the job.

I had to stop myself from pausing it and I'm only on episode 2.

I keep going back to old TV. I'm beginning to think that Hollywood doesn't know how to tell a story any longer because they're so focused on special effects, nudity, and profanity.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was really interested in the new Shogun series, as the original mini-series was so important that I bought a VCR before the show was released.

Unfortunately, it feels like a bunch of anime producers and fans got together, didn't read the book, didn't watch the mini-series, and just guessed at what would be great. Of course, Mifune Toshiro is dead and his replacement for Toranaga (an actor I like) isn't up to the job.

I had to stop myself from pausing it and I'm only on episode 2.

I keep going back to old TV. I'm beginning to think that Hollywood doesn't know how to tell a story any longer because they're so focused on special effects, nudity, and profanity.
Of the long list of products produced by the entertainment industry for watching on the big screen or home screen, I deem a small percentage as worthy.

Although as a blanket statement, I’m not prepared to say that there is over reliance on CGI, nudity, and profanity, and including those aspects don’t necessarily hinders the ability to tell a good story.

But there is a definite lack of creativity, inability to tell new good stories, and a propensity to recycle stories that have already been hits. The single biggest offender that pops into my head is the Star Wars trilogy, episodes 7-9. With basically an unlimited budget, instead of launching the franchise into new territory, it was decided that recycling this story was a safe money making bet. 😡

For movies based on novels and everyone who read the novel, I think it’s a challenge to tell a story that reinforces or supplements the story for the many who read it.

And how many remakes are necessary, arguably for the most part, none, although there is the rare instance where the remake is better, like Dune. 🙂

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Of the long list of products produced by the entertainment industry for watching on the big screen or home screen, I deem a small percentage as worthy.

Maybe a small percentage but a small percentage of a large number is still too many to watch.

But there is a definite lack of creativity, inability to tell new good stories, and a propensity to recycle stories that have already been hits.

More excellent content is available than there is time to watch.

Hacks. Shogun. White Lotus. Metropolitan Opera. Fargo. The list of good content is way more than there is time to see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.