Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

I watched up until the third episode of the first season and I stopped. I don't know why everyone likes this show. I just couldn't get into it. And isn't this show supposed to be based on a comic book superhero? Why did they make it a soap opera? It just doesn't make sense.

Yeah it is loosely based on a comic superhero who has had a good deal of drama (mostly bad) in his comic over the past decade.

It's a soap opera largely because of the network (The CW). I put up with a lot because I love the Green Arrow character, but this show is so far off the rails now my patience is exhausted.

At least the comic is good now.

And there are so many other good shows to watch, I won't miss it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
'True Detective' has received excellent reviews; is it worth taking a look at, whenever it appears on The Other Side Of The Pond?

Re Downton Abbey, yes, I'll admit it is a high class soap, with superb production values, and no small soupçon of luscious history, filtered through lenses with a somewhat rosy hue, but, but, but, everyone is allowed a few lapses, and Downton Abbey is one of mine.

How are you enjoying this season so far?

Downton Abbey continues to be excellent! Regardng your soap opera comment, does any show that focuses on personal relationships deserve the soap moniker? I've not clarified if soap is always a detrimental term, or that any show can focus on personal relationships and avoid this label. What do you think? :)

I did not mean that True Detective is a bad show, but the character relationships and the tone did not appeal to me which might be considered odd because I can watch The Bridge which is similar, but I like the tone and characters better, even the robot-like Diane Kruger. ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Downton Abbey continues to be excellent! Regardng your soap opera comment, does any show that focuses on personal relationships deserve the soap moniker? I've not clarified if soap is always a detrimental term, or that any show can focus on personal relationships and avoid this label. What do you think? :)

I did not mean that True Detective is a bad show, but the character relationships and the tone did not appeal to me which might be considered odd because I can watch The Bridge which is similar, but I like the tone and characters better, even the robot-like Diane Kruger. ;)

Well, I'm an historian - or, I used to be - by training, background and profession, and, in general, I am extraordinarily intolerant of historical inaccuracies and convenient short-cuts.

The fact that Downton Abbey doesn't pretend to be High History allows it to succeed (exceptionally well) as entertainment.

Actually, I'm not using the term 'soap-opera' in a derogatory sense here, merely recognising that Downton Abbey uses the tropes of the medium of soap opera to tell its story in an accessible and attractive manner.

However, I actually think Julian Fellowes has managed to combine (extremely successfully) several strands, or genres, to offer an extraordinarily successful (commercially and in terms of appealing to popular taste) product.

Re Downton Abbey, there are a number of reasons why the show has been so successful.

Firstly, there are the terrific production values, and it is sumptuously shot, (and, yes, the visual detail is spot on); secondly, there is the enduring fascination with not just stories from 'The Big House' (i.e. the lives and lifestyle of the decaying aristocracy) but the wider story where relations and relationships between aristocrats, their staff, and middle class professionals who straddle (uncomfortably) all of these class divides - make for an irresistible story. Class is - and remains - the enduring fault-line in the UK, and programmes which look at class as a story rather than as a polemic are endlessly fascinating.

In this instance, one need only remember the original TV series 'Upstairs Downstairs' which was made in the 1970s and was meticulous in its historical detail - it set the original template for any show which wishes to deal with class as an ongoing story, and was enormously popular in the 1970s when it was first aired.

When you add to that a wide range of characters, each with a character & narrative arc, and spice it up with the norms of TV story-telling as refined by the best of the British soap-operas, then, you are on to a winner when all of these elements are combined successfully in one show.

Actually, Julian Fellowes had a sort of dry run several years ago, when he made the movie, 'Gosford Park'; this was promoted as a Country House Murder Mystery movie, set in the 1920s, but, in reality it was an exploration of class, using several features (huge cast, several interlocking stories, an 'upstairs and a downstairs' element and their interweaving relationships), with which we have since become very familiar in Downton Abbey.

After 'Gosford Park' I suspect that he realised that he wished to work on a still larger canvas in order to tell this sort of story.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well, I'm an historian - or, I used to be - by training, background and profession, and, in general, I am extraordinarily intolerant of historical inaccuracies and convenient short-cuts.

The fact that Downton Abbey doesn't pretend to be High History allows it to succeed (exceptionally well) as entertainment.

Actually, I'm not using the term 'soap-opera' in a derogatory sense here, merely recognising that Downton Abbey uses the tropes of the medium of soap opera to tell its story in an accessible and attractive manner.

However, I actually think Julian Fellowes has managed to combine (extremely successfully) several strands, or genres, to offer an extraordinarily successful (commercially and in terms of appealing to popular taste) product.

Re Downton Abbey, there are a number of reasons why the show has been so successful.

Firstly, there are the terrific production values, and it is sumptuously shot, (and, yes, the visual detail is spot on); secondly, there is the enduring fascination with not just stories from 'The Big House' (i.e. the lives and lifestyle of the decaying aristocracy) but the wider story where relations and relationships between aristocrats, their staff, and middle class professionals who straddle (uncomfortably) all of these class divides - make for an irresistible story. Class is - and remains - the enduring fault-line in the UK, and programmes which look at class as a story rather than as a polemic are endlessly fascinating.

In this instance, one need only remember the original TV series 'Upstairs Downstairs' which was made in the 1970s and was meticulous in its historical detail - it set the original template for any show which wishes to deal with class as an ongoing story, and was enormously popular in the 1970s when it was first aired.

When you add to that a wide range of characters, each with a character & narrative arc, and spice it up with the norms of TV story-telling as refined by the best of the British soap-operas, then, you are on to a winner when all of these elements are combined successfully in one show.

Actually, Julian Fellowes had a sort of dry run several years ago, when he made the movie, 'Gosford Park'; this was promoted as a Country House Murder Mystery movie, set in the 1920s, but, in reality it was an exploration of class, using several features (huge cast, several interlocking stories, an 'upstairs and a downstairs' element and their interweaving relationships), with which we have since become very familiar in Downton Abbey.

After 'Gosford Park' I suspect that he realised that he wished to work on a still larger canvas in order to tell this sort of story.

Thanks for perspective. About two years ago we watched the entire USDS on Netfliks and enjoyed it too! It's basically covering the same period of time as a class system moved into modern times. This is not PRSI, but I am amused when a political party in the States today likes to roll out the "class warfare" accusation whenever there is a move to help them redistribute the wealth of the wealthy. You're picking on us, lol. ;)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks for perspective. About two years ago we watched the entire USDS on Netfliks and enjoyed it too! It's basically covering the same period of time as a class system moved into modern times. This is not PRSI, but I am amused when a political party in the States today likes to roll out the "class warfare" accusation whenever there is a move to help them redistribute the wealth of the wealthy. You're picking on us, lol. ;)

I tend to think about it this way; both USDS and Downton Abbey both cater to the historians in us, but for those that do like the class system mixed with Drama, it reminds the yanks of both Dallas and Dynasty; classy, elegant, and lavish. Dynasty reveled in that; that's what made it so popular. Downton Abby and USDS have it naturally, as that's how it was in that time period.

BL.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I tend to think about it this way; both USDS and Downton Abbey both cater to the historians in us, but for those that do like the class system mixed with Drama, it reminds the yanks of both Dallas and Dynasty; classy, elegant, and lavish. Dynasty reveled in that; that's what made it so popular. Downton Abby and USDS have it naturally, as that's how it was in that time period.

BL.

It's so subtle that personal conflict seems quite large easily. :)

I have two Helix's to watch on SciFi. Anyone watching this and staying interested?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-21 at 7.01.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-21 at 7.01.38 PM.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 210

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm starting season 2 of House of Cards now.

How is it? I've been thinking about watching it.

Watched a couple of Modern Family's last night. I'm probably not well versed in all of the comedies out there these days, but this strikes me as pure brilliance, along the lines of Cheers, Frasier, and Everyone Loves Raymond. The writers and actors are in the zone. :D

modern-family-quotes.jpg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I really like it. Have you seen season 1 yet? Season 2 opened with a shocker episode in which events took place that I didn't foresee.

It's a good political drama and I think Kevin Spacey does a fantastic job, as well as everyone else. It reminds of Boss with Kelsey Grammer which, was canceled after 2 seasons to my dismay.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Watched a couple of Modern Family's last night. I'm probably not well versed in all of the comedies out there these days, but this strikes me as pure brilliance, along the lines of Cheers, Frasier, and Everyone Loves Raymond. The writers and actors are in the zone. :D

Another recommendation for House of Cards from me. 2 thumbs up.

Modern Family is my favorite comedy on TV right now. Some episodes miss the mark, but most are great.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Another recommendation for House of Cards from me. 2 thumbs up.

Modern Family is my favorite comedy on TV right now. Some episodes miss the mark, but most are great.

I'll check Netflix for House of Cards, thanks! We watched 4 hours of the Starz miniseries, The White Queen. Not sure how much more there is. We have it on BluRay and in their wisdom, the disk maker provided no episode list. It's enjoyable, but every time I see one of these English King and Queen stories, I wonder why anyone would want to come withing 100 miles of court? Such a mess.

This picks up at the end of the War of the Roses, for those who don't know, a fight for the Kingdom and both feuding families had roses in their family crests. Edward York wins, locks up Henry Lancaster, marries a Lancaster (you know they were all related), and his best bud is the Earl of Warrick who is not much of a friend scheming behind Ed's back with Henry's exiled wife in France, a mess I tell you! I don't know how a King could be anything but paranoid! :p Low budget, no battle scenes so far, just referenced. This happened historically before "The Tudors" series on Showtime. I believe it is Henry the 8th's, father is in this as a boy. Don't know if this is on Netflix.

white-queen-tv-series1.jpg

Rated R for obligatory sex scenes... ;)

Last edited:

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
It's so subtle that personal conflict seems quite large easily. :)

I have two Helix's to watch on SciFi. Anyone watching this and staying interested?

i'm just watching the 7th episode and my interest has seriously spiked again ... two new characters and it's mysteriousness is off the chart again

more story, less gory zombie stuff thankfully

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
i'm just watching the 7th episode and my interest has seriously spiked again ... two new characters and it's mysteriousness is off the chart again

I should have 3 episodes recorded. I'll try to catch up some today. :) The lead actor who played the politician in The first two seasons of the Killing, does not really appeal to me, so that is a stumbling block. His character's personality is kinda... oh I can't put it into words. The bad guy (head of the facility) kind of annoys me too. ;)

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I'm watching the current seasons of both House of Cards and Downton Abbey. And I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not suffering from some sort of television version of Stockholm Syndrome.

These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness.
Wikipedia entry on Stockholm Syndrome

Because I would struggle to point to a single moment in either of those shows durations that I actually found pleasurable, charming, amusing, or even particularly interesting. But since I started watching them at some point in the past, I feel a dreadful obligation to keep watching, if for no other reason than to see the job through. I know that - in the big scheme of things - they aren't bad shows. But at this stage I'm wondering if they are repaying my investment of time and emotional energy.

I've given up on shows in the past. I tried - and failed - last year with The Bridge and Low Winter Sun, and even the normally brilliant Glenn Close couldn't keep me interested in season 3 of Damages.

The find of the season so far has been True Detective. Which is weird, because I don't usually like cop shows, and was never much of a fan of either Woody Harrelson or Matthew McConaughey. Maybe its that awesome Handsome Family title song that keeps me coming back.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm watching the current seasons of both House of Cards and Downton Abbey. And I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not suffering from some sort of television version of Stockholm Syndrome.

Wikipedia entry on Stockholm Syndrome

Because I would struggle to point to a single moment in either of those shows durations that I actually found pleasurable, charming, amusing, or even particularly interesting. But since I started watching them at some point in the past, I feel a dreadful obligation to keep watching, if for no other reason than to see the job through. I know that - in the big scheme of things - they aren't bad shows. But at this stage I'm wondering if they are repaying my investment of time and emotional energy.

I've given up on shows in the past. I tried - and failed - last year with The Bridge and Low Winter Sun, and even the normally brilliant Glenn Close couldn't keep me interested in season 3 of Damages.

The find of the season so far has been True Detective. Which is weird, because I don't usually like cop shows, and was never much of a fan of either Woody Harrelson or Matthew McConaughey. Maybe its that awesome Handsome Family title song that keeps me coming back.

When Mr Bates told Mrs Huges that "nothing is over, nothing is done with" I got shivers I tell you! :D True Detective seemed well made, but the subject matter did not hold me. Somehow I'm still watching The Bridge and one of these type of shows are enough! :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Spoilers

Caught the Downton Abbey season 4, 90 min finale, nothing earth shaking, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Mary is playing two suitors on her line. Edith is off to fetch her kid. Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes get chummy. Barrow is up to no good as usual. Some interesting contrasts between the English staff and Mr Levinson's butler, and always enjoy Shirley McLaine and Paul Giamatti. I can remember when Shirley McLaine was a young woman. And now when I hear Mr. Giamatti's voice, I think of Planet of the Apes. :)

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
What's on T.V.?

Spoilers

Caught the Downton Abbey season 4, 90 min finale, nothing earth shaking, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Mary is playing two suitors on her line. Edith is off to fetch her kid. Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes get chummy. Barrow is up to no good as usual. Some interesting contrasts between the English staff and Mr Levinson's butler, and always enjoy Shirley McLaine and Paul Giamatti. I can remember when Shirley McLaine was a young woman. And now when I hear Mr. Giamatti's voice, I think of Planet of the Apes. :)

Got all excited for a second there! I thought the new series started but then I realized you were talking about an episode from series four. I then checked and found out that series five doesn't start until September :(

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC

Absolutely, and same here -- never really thought much of either of them before. They are awesome on this show.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Got all excited for a second there! I thought the new series started but then I realized you were talking about an episode from series four. I then checked and found out that series five doesn't start until September :(

I believe it's Sept in the U.K. and maybe on BBC America, I've not checked that. For PBS, it won't start until Jan 2015.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Spoilers

960.jpg

I caught up with Helix last night. I'm trying to distinguish the difference in acting or general atmosphere between this show and something like Lost, which was superb. The premise of the story is good enough to keep me watching, but it is weak and poorly executed, and the acting does not seem to be as good, and because I know the lead Billy Campbell has what it takes from The Killing, I'm suspecting the writing. Then there is the character Constance Sutton who seems like a caricature of an over confident corporate menace. ;) Then they have that cheery 60's music they unevenly throw in from time to time. Most of the reviews I've read give reinforcement to my feelings. Note I wrote my comments before looking up these reviews. But after reading the reviews, flat characters, poor execution, and a weak story are preventing this show from being as good as I imagined it could be. Will I keep watching for now? Yes. Now that Dr. Julia Walker has been transformed into some unknown something, I'm anxiously awaiting for them to flub this part of the story too. :)

There's a fine line between good television and bad television, and Helix is currently lying on that line, motionless and limp like a fat cat in a sunbeam, refusing to budge either way.
My What Big Silver Eyes You Have

All of this talent seems to prop up a paper-thin plot that threatens to blow away at any moment. Porsandeh’s pilot script feels at all times like Character Introduction 101, and the dialogue too often falls flat, as the characters speak in simple, declamatory statements, rather than anything with spark. What’s more, the story too often steps aside in favor of pointless, mystery bull ****, setting up questions that aren’t as compelling as the drama of an unexplained plague breaking out in a place with no available hospital. The series desperately wants to make viewers invest in the larger mysteries. But it’s hard to do that when the characters are so flat, with too many played by actors who don’t rise to the challenge of giving them life.
Helix Throws a Bunch of Talent At Flat Characters

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Spoilers​

We finished up The White Queen, 10 episode limited series originally produced for Starz network/BBC, 2013. It was a pretty good English history lesson- War of the Roses (Lancasters vs Yorks), Edward IV, Earl of Warwick (King Maker), descent acting, although I joked with my wife that the series used mini-armies, groups of about 40 people in battles to represent 2 armies made of thousands.

After Edward's death from illness, his two sons were taken to the Tower of London for their protection, one of them in line for King. Due to maneuvering by Phillip, Edward's brother, they were subsequently declared illegitimate because Edward's marriage to Elizabeth Grey (Queen Elizabeth) had been conducted in secret and this allowed him to grab the throne versus acting as a protector until Edward's son could reach the age required to take the throne.

An interesting plot point in this series, is that you may know these boys disappeared from the tower, never to be seen again, killed by unknown (?). However it is asserted in this version that one of Elizabeth's sons (the spare) was not in the tower. They had used a plant to take his place, and that her son who by normal ascendency rules should have been King, but instead went off to live a quiet life in the shadows anomalously. Based on what is known about it today, my understanding this is all conjecture. Anyone know?

I also liked the "witch" angle. She's a witch! (as I think of Mony Python), lol. The series portrays Elizabeth's mother as what you might call a witch and in this series, Elizabeth herself uses "witch-like" curses on her enemies. On the other side, many of them considered everything bad that happened to anyone was because SHE'S A WITCH! :D

And since I had watched "The Tudors" on Showtime, the Henry Tudor role in this drama was most interesting, as the son of long suffering, and devout (give me a sign) Margaret Beaufort, and Father of Henry the 8th, who finally comes back to England to take the throne from Philip York, with the help of Lord Stanley formerly a close ally of the crown who double crosses Philip.

One thing most annoying is that there was a tendency to use the same names over and over and over. ;)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Caught the first episode of two series on Netflix

Bates Motel- Season 1 2013, looked interesting but quickly realized I could not tolerate watching Norman being manipulated by his mother episode after episode.

Roswell- 1999 Series about aliens attending high school in Roswell, New Mexico. Kind of interesting, but mostly one of those high school teen romance stories.

Impressions for either one of these shows? Thanks!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just watching some episodes of the X-Files. I really like that show.

I assume you watched when it was still on? I did not watch X-Files consistently, because it seemed to fluctuate between really good and really strange. Weren't there some off the wall episodes near the end of the series?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I assume you watched when it was still on? I did not watch X-Files consistently, because it seemed to fluctuate between really good and really strange. Weren't there some off the wall episodes near the end of the series?

Yeah I watched it when it was on TV and I also own all nine seasons on DVD. There are some oddball episodes throughout the series, but I really enjoyed the continuing saga of the government coverups and aliens that was the mainstay of the show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.