Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Comment regarding Walking Dead:
Seconded. And don't forget Dexter starts this weekend.

The hotel I was in on Sunday did not carry AMC- bastardos! Fortunately I tape both Walking Dead and Dexter. Watched WD tonight, it's still excellent!

And Dexter has bounced back. If this is truly Dexter's last season, they could start killing off characters, and how will Dexter end up, continuing the vigilantly action, caught, or dead?? Hmm...

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The hotel I was in on Sunday did not carry AMC- bastardos! Fortunately I tape both Walking Dead and Dexter. Watched WD tonight, it's still excellent!

And Dexter has bounced back. If this is truly Dexter's last season, they could start killing off characters, and how will Dexter end up, continuing the vigilantly action, caught, or dead?? Hmm...

Got to watch Walking Dead off the DVR today. It looks like it will be another fantastic season.

Dexter is looking good as well. I've not heard any rumors that this is the last season though?

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
I just watched This is England 1986 on Blu-ray. Absolutely brilliant. It has some incredibly funny moments and incredibly gritty and dark moment. It really made me uncomfortable watching some of the scenes (I won't ruin what happens). A must see, especially if you liked the film.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just watched This is England 1986 on Blu-ray. Absolutely brilliant. It has some incredibly funny moments and incredibly gritty and dark moment. It really made me uncomfortable watching some of the scenes (I won't ruin what happens). A must see, especially if you liked the film.

So what kind of movie is it?

I've recorded Terra Nova (Fox), the pilot was weak, the follow-on story about a mad flock of little pterosaurs was totally un-engaging. I practically fell asleep during the "climatic action" woke myself up by rooting for the little guys to wipe out the colony. ;) Series recording canceled...

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
So what kind of movie is it?

From Wikipedia --- This Is England is a 2006 British drama film written and directed by Shane Meadows. The story centres on young skinheads in England in 1983. The film illustrates how their subculture, which has its roots in 1960s black culture, especially ska, soul and reggae music, became adopted by white nationalists, which led to divisions within the skinhead scene.

This is England 1986 is a sequel to the film, but is a TV series. It's a lot more focussed on the smaller characters from the film and focusses on a wider range of issues.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
From Wikipedia --- This Is England is a 2006 British drama film written and directed by Shane Meadows. The story centres on young skinheads in England in 1983. The film illustrates how their subculture, which has its roots in 1960s black culture, especially ska, soul and reggae music, became adopted by white nationalists, which led to divisions within the skinhead scene.

This is England 1986 is a sequel to the film, but is a TV series. It's a lot more focussed on the smaller characters from the film and focusses on a wider range of issues.

Oh, skinheads, not a favorite subject to subject myself to. :p

American Horror Story (FX)- Watched two episodes. Enough is a enough. Way to dark for me to endure on a weekly basis. :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We caught Hell on Wheels (AMC) last night- revenge in the American West (filmed in Canada) iron horse era. For myself the jury is still out. The show looks like it has potential.

Last edited:

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
We caught Hell on Wheels (AMC) last night- revenge in the American West (filmed in Canada) iron horse era. For myself the jury is still out. The show looks like it has potential.

My wife and I have watched the first two episodes and it seems like another winner for AMC.

Agreed...I'm a huge fan of period dramas, so I watched the first 2 episodes after work on Sunday night, and so far, so good. I've got the DVR set....hopefully it will continue to impress.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As I anxiously await the return of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, I'll ask, any Vampire Diaries fans? We started watching Season 1. It's nothing great but good enough to keep us watching. :)

Agreed...I'm a huge fan of period dramas, so I watched the first 2 episodes after work on Sunday night, and so far, so good. I've got the DVR set....hopefully it will continue to impress.

Then you'd better be watching Downton Abbey Season 2. It has not disappointed! :)

THIS is looking very interesting on ABC (Feb7 debut).

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
With the great freeze over mainland Europe.

I plan to stay in and watch.

Walking dead season one Blue Ray, plus I've just got Firefly boxed set

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Thanks for taking that cold off our hands. We set 2 record highs this past week. It's been beautiful outside :p

I was thrilled to find out that the Puppy Bowl is returning to Animal Planet on Sunday. It will give me something not related to football to watch while waiting for Top Gear to download.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
As I anxiously await the return of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, I'll ask, any Vampire Diaries fans? We started watching Season 1. It's nothing great but good enough to keep us watching. :)

Then you'd better be watching Downton Abbey Season 2. It has not disappointed! :)

Downtown Abbey is on my watch list...my friends have been trying to get me to watch it. I'm going to try and catch up in the next few weeks.

I, too, am anxiously awaiting Season 2 of Game of Thrones.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Season 1 is too short and highly focused, great entertainment. Season 2 so far has been less focused, all most in a holding pattern.

Downtown Abbey is on my watch list...my friends have been trying to get me to watch it. I'm going to try and catch up in the next few weeks.

I broke down and started reading the Second Book, Clash of Kings. It's still going strong.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Downton Abbey is wonderful - I hope the US networks also broadcast the extra episode which aired on Christmas Day - it is not simply a "Christmas stocking filler' but a real coda to Series Two.

You'll enjoy Downton Abbey; I've spent a good part of January reading the series, and now must re-visit them. This side of the Atlantic pond, we have not yet had the benefit of the TV series which I understand to have been a very good adaptation. Must say I have thoroughly enjoyed the books so far, and thanks to all who recommended them to me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
ALERT: Walking Dead on tomorrow night!
twd-season-1-survival-test-v2-590-284x184.jpg

Just finished the first two seasons of Vampire Diaries. I can recommend it if you are into pop vampire stories. I'm a little irritated they did not wrap up the Claus story. I understand that Season 3 is just about finished airing. I need to see if I can find it on-demand from my cable provider. I prefer not watching it on my computer if it can be helped or just wait until they start reairing Season3 in prep for Season4... Does CW (network) do that?

the-vampire-diaries-saison-1-serie-creee-par-kevin-williamson-4472867ihrzc.jpeg

Teaser Image, LOL

Last edited:

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Another vote for Downton Abbey. I don't watch TV, at all, but for some reason that one drew me in when PBS aired Season 1... I haven't been able to keep up with all of Season 2 as it's been broadcast here, unfortunately.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was able to watch the first 45 min of the 2hr Feb7th premier of The River on ABC. Looks very promising as a horror/adventure/thriller. I'll report back after I've finished it (I dvr'd it), after Downton Abbey and Left 4 Dead. :):)

Anyone catch it last Tuesday?

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I was able to watch the first 45 min of the 2hr Feb7th premier of The River on ABC. Looks very promising as a horror/adventure/thriller. I'll report back after I've finished it (I dvr'd it), after Downton Abbey and Left 4 Dead. :):)

Anyone catch it last Tuesday?

My wife and I saw this and yes, it does look promising. We enjoyed the first two episodes. What I like is that it's a short series, like 6 or 8 episodes. This gives me hope that they will focus on the storytelling as opposed to just keeping the status quo motive of getting as many episodes in a season as possible.

ALERT: Walking Dead on tomorrow night!

Great episode! I really like this show a lot. The tension in the bar scene was awesome.

Anyone watching Archer on FX? Such a hysterically irreverent show. Quite the guilty pleasure.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My wife and I saw this and yes, it does look promising. We enjoyed the first two episodes. What I like is that it's a short series, like 6 or 8 episodes. This gives me hope that they will focus on the storytelling as opposed to just keeping the status quo motive of getting as many episodes in a season as possible.

Sadly after 3 hours I gave up on the River. It is edgy, I tolerated the format, thankfully it's not 100% documentary style, but with all the cameras they use, all most. I did not really bond with the characters, and it has a rather high level of constant tension so that (for myself) the tension became diminished. As a rule I don't like documentary because it really ties up the story telling and I really dislike the jerky camera effect although The River did not go too far in that direction.

Great episode! I really like this show a lot. The tension in the bar scene was awesome.

Anyone watching Archer on FX? Such a hysterically irreverent show. Quite the guilty pleasure.

Regarding The Walking Dead, I sat there waiting for what I expected to happen, happen. Regardless, it was awesome. I imagine Hershel has a new appreciation for Rick. :D

I have not caught Archer. Maybe I should take a peak!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.