Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
- Ability to remove some of those apps that I will never use on my AW - Photos, Podcasts, the Find People thing, Voice Memos, the Apple Weather app & Breath etc. I'm sure some people use these, but I've not clicked on any of them in over 18months...let me remove them!

You can delete Breathe and Podcasts right now :)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Sleep tracking
Blood pressure monitoring
O2 Saturation measuring
Apple notes on the watch
Third party watch faces

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018
Sleep tracking

I always find this one odd..Apple Watch already does sleep tracking and has done for ages?!

I have *NO* sleep related app installed on my Watch and get the full detailed Sleep Analysis to view via the Apple Health app on my phone?
ie - Sleep Tracking is effectively native on the Watch, it just needs a 3rd party app on the phone (but no need to install to Watch), to enable access to that natively recorded sleep data and pushing it to Health. I use AutoSleep, but never look at my sleep via that app, since its all pushed to Health shortly after I wake up.

Reactions: jdb8167

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
I always find this one odd..Apple Watch already does sleep tracking and has done for ages?!

I have *NO* sleep related app installed on my Watch and get the full detailed Sleep Analysis to view via the Apple Health app on my phone?
ie - Sleep Tracking is effectively native on the Watch, it just needs a 3rd party app on the phone (but no need to install to Watch), to enable access to that natively recorded sleep data and pushing it to Health. I use AutoSleep, but never look at my sleep via that app, since its all pushed to Health shortly after I wake up.

People just want apple to build their own app - for the watch but also integrate it into the Health app in iOS so you don't need to install a 3rd party app to view the data.

But otherwise, you're right - Sleep Data/Analysis is already built into the Health app, and you can go and view it - but returns No Data. But - it's already there... I'm sure apple will enable that.

IMG_92BBACEA980A-1.jpeg

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Playing music on the watch while running or working out, uses a lot of battery. The last thing I want to do while running is use my watch to play music. At other times, it makes more sense.

Too many people want to use music as a familiar distraction while exercising. In my opinion, one’s focus should be completely on the exercise. If you can’t run or workout without having music playing, maybe you should consider removing the distraction from your exercising.

Last edited:

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Playing music on the watch while running or working out, uses a lot of battery. The last thing I want to do while running is use my watch to play music. At other times, it makes more sense.

Too many people want to use music as a familiar distraction while exercising. In my opinion, one’s focus should be completely on your exercise. If you can’t run or workout without having music playing, maybe you should consider removing the distraction from your exercising.

That's an interesting point of view. I don't like exercise at all and wouldn't do it if I didn't have music.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015

Too many people want to use music as a familiar distraction while exercising. In my opinion, one’s focus should be completely on the exercise. If you can’t run or workout without having music playing, maybe you should consider removing the distraction from your exercising.

So since this is the Series 6 / WatchOS 7 Wishlist thread - you're saying you want Apple to remove the ability for people to play music from the watch while exercising so they focus more on their exercise?

Or you were just stating a random opinion of yours? Not saying your opinion isn't valid - just not sure how it integrates into something you are wishing for in the next release of hardware/software for Apple Watch?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So since this is the Series 6 / WatchOS 7 Wishlist thread - you're saying you want Apple to remove the ability for people to play music from the watch while exercising so they focus more on their exercise?

Or you were just stating a random opinion of yours? Not saying your opinion isn't valid - just not sure how it integrates into something you are wishing for in the next release of hardware/software for Apple Watch?
I didn’t realize it until just now, but my reply was meant for another thread. Sorry about the confusion.

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018
People just want apple to build their own app - for the watch but also integrate it into the Health app in iOS so you don't need to install a 3rd party app to view the data.

But otherwise, you're right - Sleep Data/Analysis is already built into the Health app, and you can go and view it - but returns No Data. But - it's already there... I'm sure apple will enable that.

But why do people want a "Sleep App" on the Watch? They can't see it whilst they're sleeping, and nobody is clamouring for an "Activity App" on the Watch that shows anything other than the basic info you see on the Watch without looking on the phone for detailed review?!

Its all there, "bringing Sleep to Watch" has become this thing that lots are asking for without knowing why they really want it. You can tell its confused because there seems to be a narrative of, "Apple won't release Sleep Tracking until the battery life can deliver on 'all day performance'". But Apple already have released Sleep Tracking and the Watch already does deliver on all day performance, sleep tracking creates NO extra drain on battery life!

Apple Watch records sleep natively, and analysis of it is already available in the Apple Health app...what extra do people want an app for??

66962812-EEFE-4BDB-A026-8EB766ABB857.png

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
But why do people want a "Sleep App" on the Watch? They can't see it whilst they're sleeping, and nobody is clamouring for an "Activity App" on the Watch that shows anything other than the basic info you see on the Watch without looking on the phone for detailed review?!

Its all there, "bringing Sleep to Watch" has become this thing that lots are asking for without knowing why they really want it. You can tell its confused because there seems to be a narrative of, "Apple won't release Sleep Tracking until the battery life can deliver on 'all day performance'". But Apple already have released Sleep Tracking and the Watch already does deliver on all day performance, sleep tracking creates NO extra drain on battery life!

Apple Watch records sleep natively, and analysis of it is already available in the Apple Health app...what extra do people want an app for??

View attachment 917954
But I need to use a third party app to generate data for the health app. The watch won’t do it without a third party app. If I don’t have a third party app installed and I wear my watch to bed it does nothing.

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018
But I need to use a third party app to generate data for the health app. The watch won’t do it without a third party app. If I don’t have a third party app installed and I wear my watch to bed it does nothing.

I think that’s the misconception.

Install AutoSleep (and on the Watch too), run through it granting the Health permissions etc and then REMOVE the Autosleep app from the Watch.

From then on you’ll have Sleep data in your Health, and be able to view Trends etc..

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
You can tell its confused because there seems to be a narrative of, "Apple won't release Sleep Tracking until the battery life can deliver on 'all day performance'".

That's the thing right there - And I'm with you... But - Over the years it seems most people charge their watch when they sleep... So - they want more battery but... Then what? Apple makes 4 day battery life, and people will only be able to track their sleep 5 or 6 nights a week since they will still have to charge it at some point?

So-

I think Apple could pull it off - if - the S6 has a new battery/charging system that allows the AW to be charged in 1/2 the time or something so people can charge the watch when they are in the shower for example.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Better battery
Thinner
Round
More storage
3rd party podcast support (I want pocketcast)
Glucose meter
Louder speaker

Agree with all these however as much as I’d LOVE to see it, no chance we will get a blood glucose meter/measurement any time soon.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I think that’s the misconception.

Install AutoSleep (and on the Watch too), run through it granting the Health permissions etc and then REMOVE the Autosleep app from the Watch.

From then on you’ll have Sleep data in your Health, and be able to view Trends etc..

And, if you look at the data sources, it will say "Auto Sleep"... Just sayin'

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018
And, if you look at the data sources, it will say "Auto Sleep"... Just sayin'

Yup...the Autosleep app (on the phone) is grabbing the “Motion & Fitness” data, interpreting it and pumping it into Health.

The Watch itself is tracking the data natively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.