Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
Re: Split screen, I rather like how Windows does it with keystrokes (Windows + arrow key) - very quick to resize to 50% of screen width, again to 100%, again to swap to other side of screen, then again to move to next monitor in that direction! Plus simply dragging a window edge against the edge of a screen to snap it.

A true tiling mode would be helpful, too. Plus maybe the possibility of saving application / window sets to relaunch when needed, with their tile / placement settings remembered.

Definitely want to see the ability to tile tabs in all apps, natively. Tiling tabs in browsers, in the Finder (to get side-by-side panes), etc.

More control over Dock placement would be helpful. In certain extended monitor configurations, it's hard or impossible to use the 'drag down against the bottom edge' gesture to invoke the dock on that display (for instance, vertically stacked displays). An explicit preference for which display gets the Dock, and on which edge, would be welcome. Maybe as simple as having a draggable Dock icon in the Display Preferences Monitor Arrangement tab, like we have for the menubar to designate the primary display.

And / or: invoke a contextual Dock palette wherever the cursor is with a key command or a contextual right-click on the Desktop?

wildpod

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Yeah, but I really don't think they should bother including Safari at all anymore. It has become a sort of backward, buggy, slow-updating mess over the years, and really should just be disposed of. They could replace WebKit with Google's Blink, though. That would also fix most of Safari's issues.

Bugs in Safari? Slow updating mess? What a joke. I really, really think you are the only one having those issues. I've never encountered any problems on any webpage, with the exception of google's own sites which tbh doesn't bother me at all, vastly prefer Safari's UI and energy efficiency, and I find the way Mozilla's engine renders and scrolls weird. I do not want chrome on any of my machines.

blugrn

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2018
What are you hoping to see from Apple in macOS 10.14? We're doing a wishlist series next week, so I'd love to hear what you guys are crossing your fingers for.
Sometimes TimeMachine takes for ever to complete is backup, I would like an option to turn off my Mac automatically when TimeMachine is done. Should not be very difficult to implement.

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
Bugs in Safari? Slow updating mess? What a joke. I really, really think you are the only one having those issues. I've never encountered any problems on any webpage, with the exception of google's own sites which tbh doesn't bother me at all, vastly prefer Safari's UI and energy efficiency, and I find the way Mozilla's engine renders and scrolls weird. I do not want chrome on any of my machines.
I know enough about how the browser works to know that it is highly unlikely I am the only one having these issues. There could be any number of reasons I'm having them and you're not, but it's virtually impossible that I'm the only one with these issues. Safari is fine most of the time, but if a specific window open long enough, the UI eventually starts glitching out and becomes unusable. Perhaps you just don't keep Safari open long enough to notice, who knows. I don't know why you seem so desperate to champion Safari, but it most certainly is no longer one of the best browsers. The only issue I've had with Firefox is compatibility with certain sites. Otherwise, it has been solid.

A large part of the problem is that a huge chunk of the former WebKit devs have moved to Google's Blink engine. There just aren't as many people working on WebKit anymore, and that's the primary reason for its sluggish development. Blink has far-surpassed WebKit in a number of metrics.

Last edited:
Reactions: bumblebritches5

wildpod

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
I know enough about how the browser works to know that it is highly unlikely I am the only one having these issues. There could be any number of reasons I'm having them and you're not, but it's virtually impossible that I'm the only one with these issues. Safari is fine most of the time, but if a specific window open long enough, the UI eventually starts glitching out and becomes unusable. Perhaps you just don't keep Safari open long enough to notice, who knows. I don't know why you seem so desperate to champion Safari, but it most certainly is no longer one of the best browsers. The only issue I've had with Firefox is compatibility with certain sites. Otherwise, it has been solid.

A large part of the problem is that a huge chunk of the former WebKit devs have moved to Google's Blink engine. There just aren't as many people working on WebKit anymore, and that's the primary reason for its sluggish development. Blink has far-surpassed WebKit in a number of metrics.

Months. I keep Safari, and most of the apps I work with open for months at a time. I am not desperate to champion Safari, I'm just astounded that someone seems so desperate to bash Safari, a perfectly working application, considered by many one of Apple's best, and WebKit, the most important rendering engine of the last decade, to just non-chalantly say that Apple has to toss it to the side. I just can't help to think you have some other interests at play here. WebKit is a core technology for Apple, its strategic value is only second to the core OS. It is after all powering the most used, if not the second most used browser in the world. Safari is not going anywhere, and it doesn't have to. And on the mac, you don't have to use it if you for whatever reason don't like it.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
That's kind of rude. I'm not interested in producing a clickbait article, and of course we'll hear about macOS 10.14 at WWDC, that's the whole idea behind the wishlist post -- to speculate and guess at what we might see and what we want to see. The idea is to have something fun and interesting to share and talk about as WWDC approaches.

If anyone has any constructive wishlist ideas, we'd like to hear them :)

I would much love some Touch Bar love. Messages app could use it. Others too. It could do with more actions and activities. The possibilities are indeed plenty, but it has not received enough love from Apple itself.

DrJR

Cancelled
Nov 20, 2017
I don't know if it has been brought up but icons in the dock that work like the iOS, where I could put "programming" in a bundle. That would rock.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang

Nope, I'm having them too.

At first I only had them when I had hundreds of tabs open, but now I've only got 27 and it's still destroying the CPU and making everything crawl, and that's after rebooting multiple times.

If I open Safari, my computer needs to be rebooted to be usable for anything more complex than TextEdit.

Also, I'm a C and C++ programmer, I've even tried debugging it, but it's too big and slow to compile, the git repo is over 6GBs, even with a shallow clone of just the master branch, it's almost 900mbs.

it needs a massive overhaul and rewrite.

Reactions: Markoth

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
- Apple Music app
- Apple News App
- Home app or at least a way to use HomeKit
- A way to view Health and Activity data on macOS.
- Bring watchOS complications to macOS as menu bar items.
- Marzipan thing sounds cool, but conflicting evidence on if it's coming this year.
Apple Music and News apps would be fantastic. I'll bet we get the News app. Seems fairly trivial. But an Apple Music app would require some serious surgery to iTunes.
[doublepost=1527379840][/doublepost]
Native VP9 support
Mouse Acceleration controls
Seamless iCloud music handoff and metadata sync
iCloud notifications
Mac App Store redesign
Native Timer, Stopwatch, and Alarm support
Hey Siri support
iTunes redesign
Granular per-app-basis volume control
Option to change Finder chevron buttons’ functionality so that they travel a linear direction through the hierarchy
improved Window management with keyboard shortcuts and snapping
remote unlocking with iOS devices
Simultaneous screen recording over multiple monitors
Granular “iCloud Folder” creation and designation (like the way desktop folder syncing works now, it would just allow you to turn any folder such as “Downloads” into a iCloud syncing folder. This would mainly be nice if one wants to keep a certain file organization and hierarchy between computers without stuffing everything into the ‘iCloud Drive” folder)
Giving Siri administrator privileges and improved granularity (allowing a command like “quit all applications except safari”
possible)
System wide dark theme
Aperture joining the pro apps bundle (nothing to do with 10.14, but i want it so i dont care)
Improved quicktime non-hardware accelerated hevc export
Option to enable/disable start up chime
Option to keep Menu bar and dock present on all monitors simultaneously
More intuitive multi-input device creation in Audio Midi app
Option to record System audio recording in screen recordings (using hdcp, of course)
Improved finder search and add more intuitive filtering options
Finder window type and column size is remembered on a per-folder basis

System wide dark theme

YES

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
Apple Music and News apps would be fantastic. I'll bet we get the News app. Seems fairly trivial. But an Apple Music app would require some serious surgery to iTunes.

release a new Apple Music app, keep iTunes around in maintenance mode (maybe direct people to download it from the website)

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
Nope, I'm having them too.

At first I only had them when I had hundreds of tabs open, but now I've only got 27 and it's still destroying the CPU and making everything crawl, and that's after rebooting multiple times.

If I open Safari, my computer needs to be rebooted to be usable for anything more complex than TextEdit.

Also, I'm a C and C++ programmer, I've even tried debugging it, but it's too big and slow to compile, the git repo is over 6GBs, even with a shallow clone of just the master branch, it's almost 900mbs.

it needs a massive overhaul and rewrite.
Debugging a web browser, unless you're already quite familiar with the codebase, is going to be quite the challenge. There's just too much code involved. I haven't even given it a try, to be perfectly honest.

Although, I think that overhaul you speak of is called Blink. From what I heard about Google's efforts, they gutted a large chunk of the codebase, and made lots of improvements. I haven't followed the development, but their HTML5 support certainly speaks to some kind of superior development process.

Reactions: bumblebritches5

robbysibrahim

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
#3. Apple Music App: Dedicated Apple Music app. No more integration in iTunes.

Sincerely asking: Why would one want to separate owned music (iTunes) from subscription music ( Music)?

It seems this would mean the user would have the overhead of remembering that the first half of the Radiohead catalog is in iTunes because the user purchased those tracks while the two most recent releases are in  Music. How would this transaction be called a good experience for the user when they wanted to listen through their overall music collection?

Harvey Zoltan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2018
Brisbane
I would like to see a more uniform appearance in the UI design. Some of the app icons look like they come from a completely different planet to others. I would like it to go even more in the direction of iOS but even that UI contains inconsistencies. This is fairly superficial but it is annoying when you notice it and the focus on design is one of the main reasons I enjoy Apple products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.