Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I have always gone with PMs since the first one. I cannot go back to a smaller display. you'll love yours once you adjust
It's been a few days. Definitely still feels huge but I've got a slimmer case coming tomorrow. I've also got AppleCare+ loss and theft. So I'll probably have an easier time with it tomorrow. I'm getting a bit more eye strain than the 11 PM but I'm adjusting though.

I'm still pushing through my pain to eat and I've hit a few TMI important milestones but I'm not great. My husband goes back to work soon and I'm about to have to do everything on my own again. I'm a little scared to be honest.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Last class with our spring semester cohort and a farewell lunch in Montreux tomorrow. Then grading and paperwork for end of semester - a slowdown then until the fall.

Also just posted rather provocative political posts on another forum I hope I don't get cancelled. I am trying to be polite even if I strongly disagree with the tone there. However, there is yet another forum that has disgusted me and I want to give a piece of my mind there but think I will likely be banned there if I post exactly what I think of some posters.

I am just glad the politics section is closed here.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
I decided to at least start to clean out my attic and maybe some in cellar 😱
I have just shuffled in stuff over the years.
I will start to throw out stuff now. Bet half of it can go.
Attic is horribly non-organized, cellar is way much much better.
Haven’t wanted to grab into it since dad and bro died. Now it’s the time.

I suddenly had some stuff that I aggressively wanted to get rid of, not family stuff.
So here we go…. Feels good to get started.

See if I can find an old 24" display, if it’s even working. Maybe I can use that if Studio Display will delay after I got my Mac Studio. At least checking up 🤔

Reactions: ericwn

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Last class with our spring semester cohort and a farewell lunch in Montreux tomorrow. Then grading and paperwork for end of semester - a slowdown then until the fall.

Also just posted rather provocative political posts on another forum I hope I don't get cancelled. I am trying to be polite even if I strongly disagree with the tone there. However, there is yet another forum that has disgusted me and I want to give a piece of my mind there but think I will likely be banned there if I post exactly what I think of some posters.

I am just glad the politics section is closed here.

I'm actually sorry the politics section was closed. At least there, a lot of interesting world issues were discussed and ideas shared. But then I grant there was way too much confrontation and fireworks that came with it.

Last edited:

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Cat person (avatar, see left <--) brought home some small friends, aka fleas.
Son, whose cat she really is, went off to buy a flea collar.
Petshop upsold him to enough flea shampoo for a herd of cats and about a million fleas (I think they are going to be some very clean fleas...), as well as some drops to put behind her neck.

So, the laundry sink was co-opted as a cat bath. She's only a standard size cat, but took two full-size humans to hold her safely while being shampooed, rinsed, dried and then put in front of a fan heater (set to gentle) while she was rotisseried dry.

She then stomped off (how can a kitty, with those soft paws, stomp???) in a huff. We couldn't let her outside as it is early winter here, and cold, and she wasn't properly dry yet.
Anyway, the huff only lasted about an hour or so, then she was back asking for food, and a little later on my lap.

She doesn't have any real contact with other cats in the neighbourhood, apart from hissing at them. However, a vet friend once told me that rain (and we have had a lot lately) brings the fleas out from the ground and they start looking for mammals (cats, dogs, humans, possums*).

*Australian possums, not 'merican 'possums that have a 'postrophe.

iu
Mountain pigmy possum (not my picture)

Admittedly, none of the possums I have met are as cute as this. Normally they have been standing on their hind legs, arms out ready to scratch my face off, and hissing at me to go away. Which I usually do, having nearly lost a finger to one of them.
Most Australian wildlife are herbivores. Sadly, most of them consider me an honorary herb...

AthenaNoctua

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Why have I spent 416 days (and counting) in a staff don't give a flying **** home being denied food and being subjected to off the scale levels of noise (for an autistic person with hyperacusis (extreme hypersensitivity to noise), simply for the 'crime' of having Asperger's...?

Each individual photo represents a 'meal'. Those 24 photos represent about a month's worth of 'meals'. Not pictured are a bowl of chopped tinned tomatoes and a plate of tinned tuna. I've lost more than 2 stone (that I didn't need to lose - dropped from an 8 (🇪🇺32/🇺🇸12) to a 2 (🇪🇺 28/🇺🇸 6)) and aged about 20 years. It's quiet at the moment tonight but, last night, for the 4th consecutive night, I was subjected to T (30M) slamming his bedroom door, something he does constantly, and P (42F) who's paranoid schizophrenic, attempting to kick my door in. Staff don't care; they know what effect the noise is having on my mental and physical health, yet they do nothing. I have all the symptoms of CPTSD. It's my birthday on Sunday (15th) I honestly don't think I'm going to make it. I've had nothing to eat since last Thursday. I have spent around £10,000 on Keto snacks and supplements since I've been in here, just so that I know I'm guaranteed something safe to eat and and in an attempt to stave off malnutrition (something I can't really afford to do, as I've lost ⅔ of my disability money due to staff refusing to reinstate my PIP (Personal Independence Payment) because they refuse to learn anything about sensory overload and severe autistic burnout - they call it me "refusing to engage"). I've given up complaining, as everything I say is ignored.

I also suspect I have Addison's disease (autoimmune adrenal insufficiency) and Graves' disease (autoimmune hyperthyroidism). Both are fatal in crisis. I am having to take copious amounts of salt just to prevent myself blacking out due to hyponatraemic hypotension.

I know this is supposed to be a lighthearted thread, but I'm asking everyone I can for help because I can't find anyone to help me. I'm now far too weak to do anything to help myself I This may sound extremely paranoid, but I'm becoming more and more convince that a) staff are actively attempting to kill me and b) they're likely to succeed.

Sarah

Attachments

• 4680063F-15AD-47AA-AEC5-453899902128.jpeg
    4680063F-15AD-47AA-AEC5-453899902128.jpeg
    906.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 7B1D9176-E2C2-4D11-9922-741F33366214.jpeg
    7B1D9176-E2C2-4D11-9922-741F33366214.jpeg
    876.6 KB · Views: 47

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Why have I spent 416 days (and counting) in a staff don't give a flying **** home being denied food and being subjected to off the scale levels of noise (for an autistic person with hyperacusis (extreme hypersensitivity to noise), simply for the 'crime' of having Asperger's...?

Each individual photo represents a 'meal'. Those 24 photos represent about a month's worth of 'meals'. Not pictured are a bowl of chopped tinned tomatoes and a plate of tinned tuna. I've lost more than 2 stone (that I didn't need to lose - dropped from an 8 (🇪🇺32/🇺🇸12) to a 2 (🇪🇺 28/🇺🇸 6)) and aged about 20 years. It's quiet at the moment tonight but, last night, for the 4th consecutive night, I was subjected to T (30M) slamming his bedroom door, something he does constantly, and P (42F) who's paranoid schizophrenic, attempting to kick my door in. Staff don't care; they know what effect the noise is having on my mental and physical health, yet they do nothing. I have all the symptoms of CPTSD. It's my birthday on Sunday (15th) I honestly don't think I'm going to make it. I've had nothing to eat since last Thursday. I have spent around £10,000 on Keto snacks and supplements since I've been in here, just so that I know I'm guaranteed something safe to eat and and in an attempt to stave off malnutrition (something I can't really afford to do, as I've lost ⅔ of my disability money due to staff refusing to reinstate my PIP (Personal Independence Payment) because they refuse to learn anything about sensory overload and severe autistic burnout - they call it me "refusing to engage"). I've given up complaining, as everything I say is ignored.

I also suspect I have Addison's disease (autoimmune adrenal insufficiency) and Graves' disease (autoimmune hyperthyroidism). Both are fatal in crisis. I am having to take copious amounts of salt just to prevent myself blacking out due to hyponatraemic hypotension.

I know this is supposed to be a lighthearted thread, but I'm asking everyone I can for help because I can't find anyone to help me. I'm now far too weak to do anything to help myself I This may sound extremely paranoid, but I'm becoming more and more convince that a) staff are actively attempting to kill me and b) they're likely to succeed.

Sarah
I’m really sorry to read this. My daughter has Asperger’s syndrome and I can relate to some of what you are saying.
Is there no one who can intervene for you? A family member of social worker?

Stay strong. Stay safe. Things will get better.

Reactions: decafjava

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
That moment when you've had 3 weeks training, and it is actually not enough. Yet, come Monday, you better sink or swim in this new job/role.

Well, interesting times ahead... :oops:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Good luck. Even after three weeks no one should expect you to know it all. If I’m doubt ask. Better than making a huge mistake.

Best success. Of course three weeks doesn’t make an expert but one has to start somewhere.
Thanks to you both! I do not like to make mistakes, and oddly that is my main focus. I really just need to take it one day at a time.

Then again, if Management expected me to know it all already, then, that in itself it a problem :p:D

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks to you both! I do not like to make mistakes, and oddly that is my main focus. I really just need to take it one day at a time.

Then again, if Management expected me to know it all already, then, that in itself it a problem :p:D
I’ve been doing my job (along with a number of changes and promotions) 14 years. I still don’t know it all.

Reactions: ericwn and circatee

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I am as fond of tech as anyone, and love my computers, iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, etc., and in many ways they are very convenient. However, unlike many people my iPhone is not glued to my hand and I don't actually carry it everywhere. I live in a condominium community with an outdoor swimming pool that will be opening on May 28th to kick off the Memorial Day weekend. In past years we've had paper passes, which I've always found convenient to just keep right in my swim bag and pull out to show to the guard or have him or her file into a box during the time I am at the pool. No fuss, no muss....

In the mail I received this year's application for the pass to the pool, and they're now doing things electronically, meaning that we register online (not a big deal, I don't mind that). The pool passes will be delivered electronically, too (presumably via email) and the letter instructs us cheerfully to "simply save the pass on your smartphone and show the guard when you enter. It's that easy!" UH....well, no. Maybe I'm old-fashioned or super-cautious or whatever but I never take my iPhone to the pool. Actually, I don't take anything electronic to the pool, including my hearing aids. Extreme heat is not good for them and I have no intention of frying my expensive items, rendering them unusable. I don't want to risk them being dowsed with water by some careless kid splashing and larking around, nor do I want my phone or iPad stolen, either.

I assume that the folks in charge of this have realized that perhaps not everyone has a smartphone or is computer-savvy so they did provide a paper application form for those who cannot or will not fill out the form online, but are charging a $10.00 application fee for that privilege. I also assume (and hope!) that the pass itself will be delivered in a form which can be printed out and stashed in a pocket or bag to be carried on a piece of paper to the pool to show the lifeguard, as there are probably some people like me who prefer not to take their iPhone to the pool or a few who do not have one at all.

Modern technology is really great and we are certainly taking many strides towards incorporating it into people's lives but not everyone embraces it wholeheartedly and sometimes it is just not practical.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
How the problem of an unskilled workforce alienated by the automation of it's economical value can be solved.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I am as fond of tech as anyone, and love my computers, iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, etc., and in many ways they are very convenient. However, unlike many people my iPhone is not glued to my hand and I don't actually carry it everywhere. I live in a condominium community with an outdoor swimming pool that will be opening on May 28th to kick off the Memorial Day weekend. In past years we've had paper passes, which I've always found convenient to just keep right in my swim bag and pull out to show to the guard or have him or her file into a box during the time I am at the pool. No fuss, no muss....

In the mail I received this year's application for the pass to the pool, and they're now doing things electronically, meaning that we register online (not a big deal, I don't mind that). The pool passes will be delivered electronically, too (presumably via email) and the letter instructs us cheerfully to "simply save the pass on your smartphone and show the guard when you enter. It's that easy!" UH....well, no. Maybe I'm old-fashioned or super-cautious or whatever but I never take my iPhone to the pool. Actually, I don't take anything electronic to the pool, including my hearing aids. Extreme heat is not good for them and I have no intention of frying my expensive items, rendering them unusable. I don't want to risk them being dowsed with water by some careless kid splashing and larking around, nor do I want my phone or iPad stolen, either.

I assume that the folks in charge of this have realized that perhaps not everyone has a smartphone or is computer-savvy so they did provide a paper application form for those who cannot or will not fill out the form online, but are charging a $10.00 application fee for that privilege. I also assume (and hope!) that the pass itself will be delivered in a form which can be printed out and stashed in a pocket or bag to be carried on a piece of paper to the pool to show the lifeguard, as there are probably some people like me who prefer not to take their iPhone to the pool or a few who do not have one at all.

Modern technology is really great and we are certainly taking many strides towards incorporating it into people's lives but not everyone embraces it wholeheartedly and sometimes it is just not practical.
Whenever I’m flying I always print out a boarding pass as a back up. Passes on phones are great and convenient, but I like to have a plan b.

It’s certainly been pool weather today. Hottest day of the year so far.

Reactions: someoldguy

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Whenever I’m flying I always print out a boarding pass as a back up. Passes on phones are great and convenient, but I like to have a plan b.

It’s certainly been pool weather today. Hottest day of the year so far.

I haven't flown in several years, but I do recall that the last time I did that it was convenient to be able to print out a boarding pass here at home even before going to the airport. I'm like you -- I like to have a plan B, have actual printed documentation, etc. I am not sure if at that time people were even able to just show the thing on their iPhone or not.....it has been quite a long while ago now.

I do have printed copies of my COVID-19 vaccination record -- well, showing the info including my first booster; now I've had the second booster I need to get back into the state site and download the current info in my iPhone and print out the info again, too. I keep forgetting to do that.

In situations such as returning an item to Amazon via using Whole Foods (stores also owned by Amazon), the one time I've done that I did find it very convenient to just receive the info and QR code in an email, keep that on my phone and show it to the person at the store when I was turning in the returned merchandise.

• Angry
Reactions: baypharm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.