Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The raise to wake feature from iOS 9 wasn't available to the iPhone 6. I don't see that changing with iOS 10. Apple is using the feature as a selling tool for the 6s and newer.
What's the raise to wake feature from iOS 9?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I made a mistake. For some reason, talking about the raise to wake feature made me think of the raise to speak feature as being the feature in question, without realizing it that moment. Thanks for correcting me.
And here I was hoping that I just didn't know about some secret iOS 9 feature. ;)

That aside, I think raise to speak (for Siri) hasn't been an option since iOS 8 days, while the raise to listen (for audio messages) is there in iOS 9, but it's available on iPhone 6 phones (and perhaps earlier) as well.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Sorry, meant Home Screen, not lock screen and it was a theoretical complaint as mentioned. Just thought it was not anything earth shattering different than what we all ready have.
Not earth shattering no but for Plus devices it's a lot easier to slide to the left than to have to slide from the bottom to the top of the device. That always sucked.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not earth shattering no but for Plus devices it's a lot easier to slide to the left than to have to slide from the bottom to the top of the device. That always sucked.
You generally only needed to flick it up and only about 1/3 of the way or so.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
"Generally" being the issue. It isn't reliable.
Never really had to actually slide it as that actually was less reliable the few times I tried it compared to just flicking that pretty much always worked. (From what I've seen others do around me, they ised the same method for the most part as well.)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Never really had to actually slide it as that actually was less reliable the few times I tried it compared to just flicking that pretty much always worked. (From what I've seen others do around me, they ised the same method for the most part as well.)
Well you've just found someone it's been a pain for.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I actually had so little success with launching camera from the lock screen on iOS 9 I always would just open my phone and select the app. I guess it is because I didn't slide up enough/fast enough and sometimes would accidentally open up the control center when trying to open the camera. With raise to wake and one swipe i got my camera up and running and it has been 100% successful every try even on a first run beta. I am truly loving the new lock screen on iOS 10 with my 6s

Reactions: Feenician

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
The issue I have is that if you are going to take a shot, already have the phone in landscape mode the touch detection is still in "portrait" making a flick much more difficult. This is just semantics though - the slide over is so much easier to do when you are trying to quickly get your camera out and not miss the moment when you compare it to having to swipe from a corner, especially on the largest phone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The issue I have is that if you are going to take a shot, already have the phone in landscape mode the touch detection is still in "portrait" making a flick much more difficult. This is just semantics though - the slide over is so much easier to do when you are trying to quickly get your camera out and not miss the moment when you compare it to having to swipe from a corner, especially on the largest phone.
On the other hand, it can probably figure into more accidental/unintended activations of it as well.

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
On the other hand, it can probably figure into more accidental/unintended activations of it as well.
I don't know, the rubber banding when swiping to the camera is a lot stronger than swiping to the widgets. It takes a more deliberate swipe across half the screen to trigger the camera, whereas the swiping to the widgets only takes the slightest of flicks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.