What's still missing in Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by celticpride678, Dec 5, 2009.

1. celticpride678

Mac OS X is advertised as the world's most advanced operating system. However, even if it is the most advanced OS, it is still missing things. What are you still waiting for in Mac OS X or what do you think Apple is planning on putting in future versions of Mac OS X?

One thing that comes to mind for me is, I would love the ability to close windows from Expose mode.

Post what you think is missing or what you think will be added in future versions of Mac OS X!

2. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Something alike the way in which one can close widgets in Dashboard by holding Option and a cross appearing, that's a good idea. And something like Command+Option to quit the application.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Closing widgets in Dashboard can be done by pressing the Option/Alt key while hovering the mouse pointer of the widget and then the closing X appears.

I'm currently missing nothing, except some stability from the fresher PPC days.

4. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Since you asked:
    [​IMG]

The biggest thing I miss from Windows. The easability to move an copy files to a new location without having to have both folders open and drag and drop.

5. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

First idea is really a good one!

Mac OSX does have a shortcut to quit applications and its command+Q...:eek:

6. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Software repositories would be nice. Essentially an OS X App Store. :)

7. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Honestly, a few more games would be nice. Solitaire, Hearts, Spades...any of those would be nice.

8. Vidnez macrumors newbie

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

of files that is :rolleyes:

1. invoke the menu bar easily when an app is on another screen.
    2. you should be able to Quick Look a file from the Dock.

… off the top of my head, will think of more later.

10. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Does everything I need it to do. Than again, so does windows. OSX just lets me do it quicker, it looks nicer, and I dont have to worry about viruses, or my computer not working, and I dont have to do a clean install twice a year.:apple:

11. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

+1 & ZFS

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

seamless computer sycnhing between multiple computers

something anaolgous to how time machine made backing up easy is needed for computer synching

13. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

What an ugly clutter of text. In Finder I would either use cmd-x/-v or hover those files over the HD icon (or some other Place) & let spring loaded folders do its thing.

14. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

Right click on the desktop, or in a folder, and select make new ____ document. This one drives me nuts.

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Hmmmm

1. NTFS Support.
    2. The ability to let apps add formats into Quick Look / Preview.
    3. Labels in stacks.
    4. Animated Desktop Wallpapers.
    5. The ability to divide by zero. That would really shock the World.

I don't like the idea of an app store.

You can do with a terminal command... I forget which one... lemmie dig out my System V book.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It can be done (for years) if you got OS X server.

17. AppliedMicro macrumors 6502a

- Merge folder contents
    - Copy & paste files
    - File sync (and give me iCal/Address Book sync over the local network, without friggin' MobileMe)
    - Sort files by file size in Finder (this is still being advertised for 10.6 - despite being severely broken :mad: )

18. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Um... You can use cmd+X/+V on files.. So no you don't. :confused:
    NTFS Read support is there.. .Write is sort of there with some work... I agree though an out of the box NTFS Write would be great!

-Better multi monitor support.. Things like menu bar and dock on other monitors.
    -Cut/paste files
    -Better mouse control preferences

19. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Not an "app store" in the sense of the iPhone app store, but an advanced software packaging tool (e.g., Debian apt-get). Think of Software Update on steroids: can be used for all software on your machine + an interface to add third party apps from a repository.

It makes for a superior user experience: less searching the net. There would be less page views to find software, so perhaps a reason to drag feet on such a feature would be keep software search page views high (see what good that did for MySpace).

Right now we have: Software Update + searching the web for software + useful widgets like "Application Update" to keep 3rd party software up-to-date + port command for MacPorts + update feature inside apps + ...you get the picture.

With Ubuntu, for example, all you really need is one place for everything. It checks for dependencies so orphaned packages are removed. It seems to allow for better common package sharing.

20. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

21. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I disagree. The OS X UI experience is about elegant simplicity. I'm glad Apple does not put Dev resources on such things. Leave it to third party Developers + those who want to install it.

22. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Reading this thread makes me think of Firefox vs. Chrome: First the "we want more, more, more" crowd installs Firefox + a bazillion extensions. Then "oh no, this is slow, the upgrade is not compatible with my favorite extensions, its getting too complex, etc.". Then a simple browser comes along from Google & wow, it's easy & faster. What a simple, easy way to surf the web. Can you believe it? :rolleyes:

23. stuarthatto macrumors regular

... a proper download manager that supports segmented downloading.

24. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Adding the ability to change the cursor, and maybe a few more "themes" other than "Graphite" and "Aqua" wouldn't kill them.

The one they have now on their website is horribly designed. The search function barely works, and there are hundreds if not thousands of apps in each category. Not to mention, a lot of them are lumped together in blanket categories.

I'd love to see an iTunes style App store for OS X apps.