What's still missing in Mac OS X?

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Mac OS X is advertised as the world's most advanced operating system. However, even if it is the most advanced OS, it is still missing things. What are you still waiting for in Mac OS X or what do you think Apple is planning on putting in future versions of Mac OS X?

One thing that comes to mind for me is, I would love the ability to close windows from Expose mode.

Post what you think is missing or what you think will be added in future versions of Mac OS X!

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
One thing that comes to mind for me is, I would love the ability to close windows from Expose mode.
Something alike the way in which one can close widgets in Dashboard by holding Option and a cross appearing, that's a good idea. And something like Command+Option to quit the application.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Something alike the way in which one can close widgets in Dashboard by holding Option and a cross appearing, that's a good idea. And something like Command+Option to quit the application.
Closing widgets in Dashboard can be done by pressing the Option/Alt key while hovering the mouse pointer of the widget and then the closing X appears.

I'm currently missing nothing, except some stability from the fresher PPC days.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Since you asked:

The biggest thing I miss from Windows. The easability to move an copy files to a new location without having to have both folders open and drag and drop.

Vikz

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
San Juan, Puerto Rico
First idea is really a good one!

Mac OSX does have a shortcut to quit applications and its command+Q...:eek:

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Does everything I need it to do. Than again, so does windows. OSX just lets me do it quicker, it looks nicer, and I dont have to worry about viruses, or my computer not working, and I dont have to do a clean install twice a year.:apple:

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Since you asked:

The biggest thing I miss from Windows. The easability to move an copy files to a new location without having to have both folders open and drag and drop.
What an ugly clutter of text. In Finder I would either use cmd-x/-v or hover those files over the HD icon (or some other Place) & let spring loaded folders do its thing.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
Right click on the desktop, or in a folder, and select make new ____ document. This one drives me nuts.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Hmmmm

1. NTFS Support.
2. The ability to let apps add formats into Quick Look / Preview.
3. Labels in stacks.
4. Animated Desktop Wallpapers.
5. The ability to divide by zero. That would really shock the World.

I don't like the idea of an app store.

Merge folder contents.
You can do with a terminal command... I forget which one... lemmie dig out my System V book.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
- Merge folder contents
- Copy & paste files
- File sync (and give me iCal/Address Book sync over the local network, without friggin' MobileMe)
- Sort files by file size in Finder (this is still being advertised for 10.6 - despite being severely broken :mad: )

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
What an ugly clutter of text. In Finder I would either use cmd-x/-v
Um... You can use cmd+X/+V on files.. So no you don't. :confused:
1. NTFS Support.
NTFS Read support is there.. .Write is sort of there with some work... I agree though an out of the box NTFS Write would be great!

-Better multi monitor support.. Things like menu bar and dock on other monitors.
-Cut/paste files
-Better mouse control preferences

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I don't like the idea of an app store.
Not an "app store" in the sense of the iPhone app store, but an advanced software packaging tool (e.g., Debian apt-get). Think of Software Update on steroids: can be used for all software on your machine + an interface to add third party apps from a repository.

It makes for a superior user experience: less searching the net. There would be less page views to find software, so perhaps a reason to drag feet on such a feature would be keep software search page views high (see what good that did for MySpace).

Right now we have: Software Update + searching the web for software + useful widgets like "Application Update" to keep 3rd party software up-to-date + port command for MacPorts + update feature inside apps + ...you get the picture.

With Ubuntu, for example, all you really need is one place for everything. It checks for dependencies so orphaned packages are removed. It seems to allow for better common package sharing.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
the ability to change mouse cursors.
I disagree. The OS X UI experience is about elegant simplicity. I'm glad Apple does not put Dev resources on such things. Leave it to third party Developers + those who want to install it.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Reading this thread makes me think of Firefox vs. Chrome: First the "we want more, more, more" crowd installs Firefox + a bazillion extensions. Then "oh no, this is slow, the upgrade is not compatible with my favorite extensions, its getting too complex, etc.". Then a simple browser comes along from Google & wow, it's easy & faster. What a simple, easy way to surf the web. Can you believe it? :rolleyes:

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
I disagree. The OS X UI experience is about elegant simplicity. I'm glad Apple does not put Dev resources on such things. Leave it to third party Developers + those who want to install it.
Adding the ability to change the cursor, and maybe a few more "themes" other than "Graphite" and "Aqua" wouldn't kill them.

Software repositories would be nice. Essentially an OS X App Store. :)
The one they have now on their website is horribly designed. The search function barely works, and there are hundreds if not thousands of apps in each category. Not to mention, a lot of them are lumped together in blanket categories.

I'd love to see an iTunes style App store for OS X apps.