What's still missing in the iPhone OS ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sychee, Jun 20, 2009.

?

What to look forward in the next release of the iPhone OS ?

1. Background Process for non-apple apps

28 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. Springboard wallpaper / Themes management

32 vote(s)
    47.8%
  3. Battery Status (in percentage)

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Gesture to exit all native apps (instead of relying on Home button)

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. sychee macrumors member

Though we have got MMS, Copy&Paste, Push notification and many more other features in the long awaited iPhone 3.0. What else to look forward in the next release ?

Read no further. Vote here instead:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=729306

2. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

I'm sure someone will say background processes. I'd love it for navigation only.

3. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

hmmm....

The ability to make and view comments in the YouTube app
    Radar in the Weather app

I'm still trying to think of more... most of the standard stuff are covered now though

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

5. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Battery % is enabled on 3GS already.

I'm going to say a dynamic Lock screen. Let it show weather, unread email numbers, notes and maybe a headline or sports score when locked but when you push Home.

6. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Should add Flash and an All of the above choice.

7. Screwtape macrumors regular

You can do that in 3.0.

Backgrounding should be the next big thing. Hopefully the 2010 iPhone's hardware can handle it easily.

8. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Guess I'm the only one? :p

Not necessarily just background processes, but I'd really love to be able to multitask like the Pre can. Don't get me wrong, 3G S>Pre all the way, but just being able to flip from one app to another would be fantastic. I'll always be able to JB and theme my phone.

9. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

I just want an RSS reader built in like the Mail app. That we can actually have it update itself.

That and voice control activation by Bluetooth headset. Then it'd be good for me.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I guarantee the 3G S can handle it, just like the others. It's just a question of how much battery life you want. Therefore, I'd say there needs to be an ingenious method of switching it off and not having iBoogerFlick run in the background for no good reason.

Maybe what Apple needs to do is have a part of the approval department setup for people who want to run apps in the background. I can't finger the exact stuff that it would be needed for, but I'm sure there are a lot of apps that could potentially use it. But as I said above, I don't want a background free for all.

11. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Duke! All that for Nova Scotia!! HAHAHAHA

12. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

13. nippyjun macrumors 65816

They still need to add a missed call reminder alert like they have for missed test messages.

14. DuFFy macrumors regular

i think notification of new mail on the lock screen would be really nice, its one of the features that jailbreaking really got me used to. its so simple i dunno why they havent done it

15. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

16. johndoe588 macrumors regular

Without a doubt, for me, it's apps running in the backround, or having more than one app running at a time. For example, there's an app I use a lot called Aeroweather. When looking at the details for a particular airport there's a button for "show on google map". Click that and Aeroweather closes and Google Maps opens. Love to be able to go right back where I was. Surely the challenges of ram management can be overcome. If my old iPaq with Windows Mobile can do it........

John B.

17. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

- customizable lock screen (eg. with calendar, email, call notifications)
    - unified email inbox
    - profiles
    - revamped notification system

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

I think in 3.0 updates, we'll see Springboard wallpaper / Themes management, FOR SURE!

19. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I agree with the lock screen and notifications. The one thing I like about the Pre is the unintrusive notification system. It just shows in that little bar on the bottom of the screen. Also, seeing how many new texts I have, missed calls, what the weather is, all discretely on the lock screen would be nice. And of course, video chat would be awesome.

20. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

+! for customizing the lock screen and having flash. Although, I don't want them to add flash until the battery is capable of handling. Wallpapers on the springboard is also a good idea. Many jailbreak for the sole purpose of having a wallpaper.

NOT going to happen. We might see some little updates on long with stability increases, but that will not happen until we get a major update like 4.0. Look at all the updates from 2.0 to 2.2.1, we didn't have any major updates like that at all.

21. sychee thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I believe Apple will do that. That is in the next generation iPhone. The update will not be available for iPhone G1, G2 and G3.

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

how about quick toggles (sbsettings), a winterboard type program, a better sms program,
    I gave up my jailbroken 3g for a 3gs. I find my phone extremely boring now