Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What to look forward in the next release of the iPhone OS ?

• Background Process for non-apple apps

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Springboard wallpaper / Themes management

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • Battery Status (in percentage)

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Gesture to exit all native apps (instead of relying on Home button)

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
hmmm....

The ability to make and view comments in the YouTube app
Radar in the Weather app

I'm still trying to think of more... most of the standard stuff are covered now though

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
Battery % is enabled on 3GS already.

I'm going to say a dynamic Lock screen. Let it show weather, unread email numbers, notes and maybe a headline or sports score when locked but when you push Home.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
I'm sure someone will say background processes. I'd love it for navigation only.
Guess I'm the only one? :p

Not necessarily just background processes, but I'd really love to be able to multitask like the Pre can. Don't get me wrong, 3G S>Pre all the way, but just being able to flip from one app to another would be fantastic. I'll always be able to JB and theme my phone.

Mike2128

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
I just want an RSS reader built in like the Mail app. That we can actually have it update itself.

That and voice control activation by Bluetooth headset. Then it'd be good for me.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
You can do that in 3.0.

Backgrounding should be the next big thing. Hopefully the 2010 iPhone's hardware can handle it easily.

I guarantee the 3G S can handle it, just like the others. It's just a question of how much battery life you want. Therefore, I'd say there needs to be an ingenious method of switching it off and not having iBoogerFlick run in the background for no good reason.

Maybe what Apple needs to do is have a part of the approval department setup for people who want to run apps in the background. I can't finger the exact stuff that it would be needed for, but I'm sure there are a lot of apps that could potentially use it. But as I said above, I don't want a background free for all.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
They still need to add a missed call reminder alert like they have for missed test messages.

DuFFy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
Phila
i think notification of new mail on the lock screen would be really nice, its one of the features that jailbreaking really got me used to. its so simple i dunno why they havent done it

johndoe588

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Upstate New York
Without a doubt, for me, it's apps running in the backround, or having more than one app running at a time. For example, there's an app I use a lot called Aeroweather. When looking at the details for a particular airport there's a button for "show on google map". Click that and Aeroweather closes and Google Maps opens. Love to be able to go right back where I was. Surely the challenges of ram management can be overcome. If my old iPaq with Windows Mobile can do it........

John B.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
- customizable lock screen (eg. with calendar, email, call notifications)
- unified email inbox
- profiles
- revamped notification system

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I think in 3.0 updates, we'll see Springboard wallpaper / Themes management, FOR SURE!

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
- customizable lock screen (eg. with calendar, email, call notifications)
- unified email inbox
- profiles
- revamped notification system

I agree with the lock screen and notifications. The one thing I like about the Pre is the unintrusive notification system. It just shows in that little bar on the bottom of the screen. Also, seeing how many new texts I have, missed calls, what the weather is, all discretely on the lock screen would be nice. And of course, video chat would be awesome.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
+! for customizing the lock screen and having flash. Although, I don't want them to add flash until the battery is capable of handling. Wallpapers on the springboard is also a good idea. Many jailbreak for the sole purpose of having a wallpaper.

I think in 3.0 updates, we'll see Springboard wallpaper / Themes management, FOR SURE!

NOT going to happen. We might see some little updates on long with stability increases, but that will not happen until we get a major update like 4.0. Look at all the updates from 2.0 to 2.2.1, we didn't have any major updates like that at all.

sychee

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
i think notification of new mail on the lock screen would be really nice, its one of the features that jailbreaking really got me used to. its so simple i dunno why they havent done it

Yes, I believe Apple will do that. That is in the next generation iPhone. The update will not be available for iPhone G1, G2 and G3.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
how about quick toggles (sbsettings), a winterboard type program, a better sms program,
I gave up my jailbroken 3g for a 3gs. I find my phone extremely boring now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.