Whats the advantage of the AT4 & 5?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jwolf6589, Oct 9, 2017.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

I have a ATV 3 and am happy with it. Does everything I need and I use it all the time. So besides the 4K movies which probably will require me to buy a new HD TV whats the advantage of the newer units? Do they do email and web browsing or something? The ATV 3 has lots of apps already pre-installed.

2. SurfMacJpMtb macrumors member

SurfMacJpMtb

3. -Gonzo- macrumors regular

Both the ATV 4 & ATV 4K have far more apps available than the ATV3.
    You can also play games as well as watch video.

4. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

I get 4k from aptv5 with sony t.v. Auto detecting 2160P.
    Higher resolution since aptv4-hd only. I.e. 1080p max.

5. 2010mini macrumors 68040

The ATV 4 and 4K can function as a full fledge cable box. It has access to live tv services with Cloud DVR capability.

6. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Watch video? What do you mean?

7. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

You won't be able to get Plex on AT3, Amazon App, etc...it's slow as hell too.

8. -Gonzo- macrumors regular

Video: ie Films/TV Shows/Other video streaming services.

9. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

I can do that on the AT3. I have 100 movies that I bought and TV shows, and can stream from Netflix.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    You must have had a bad model, because mine is real fast.

10. -Gonzo- macrumors regular

As already has been said, there are far more video streaming options available on ATV4 & ATV4K than there is on ATV3
    That maybe, but not as fast as the ATV4 & ATV4K

11. HobeSoundDarryl, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I think it's comes down to this:
    • If your "3" does "everything I want it to do", you do not need a "4" or "5."
    • If you wish your "3" could do anything else, there may be an app for that on the newer models. Check into it and let that drive your new purchase considerations.
    Basically, this is like having that first iPhone before the app store and asking why buy a latter iPhone since that original does "everything I want it to do." Newer iPhones gained all the functionalities of non-stock apps in the first generation. Same here.

For example, one announced new app that is fairly well anticipated is Amazon Prime. You might already have Prime for faster delivery. If so, that app will add a lot of original and canned programming on :apple:TV. The "3" will almost certainly NOT get the Prime App. But the "4" & "5" will. Would you like access to all that Amazon Prime content on your :apple:TV? There's a catalyst to upgrade.

The same applies to any other apps already on the new models but not on the 3. How many desirable apps do you need to desire before you decide to sell or repurpose the "3" and buy the "4" or "5"? That may be a catalyst to evolve "everything I want" into "almost everything I want but I do want...".

On the subject of having to buy a new TV, that's NOT true. You can hook a "4" or "5" to the HDTV you already have and it will simply be hardware capable of doing more working with an output device that maxes out at less. It can't turn a non-4KTV into a 4KTV but it can play whatever your existing TV is capable of displaying to it's maximum.

Nothing wrong with buying hardware capable of "more" than you need right now. I think that's actually pretty normal. New iPhones have hardware bands built into them that some buyers will never use... but the capability is there should their situation change and they want or need those other features. If for some reason, you opt to buy the "5" but hook it to an existing HDTV, you'll just have an :apple:TV capable of delivering higher resolution working with a lower resolution screen. So what. At some point that older TV might conk. When it does, you'll find mostly 4K TVs for sale at the store with 1080p options increasingly fading over time. Buy the replacement TV, drop it into the slot and the "5" will "just work" with it too.

12. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

One day I will upgrade but not today.

13. Tech198, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

Tech198 macrumors G4

ick... web browsing on a big screen and email ? hope not..

Apple TV 4 and possibly 5 has the App Store, so if u use ya iPhone or iPad to purchase appe, the same applied on the newer ones as well

Also Siri is available, fast forward or rewind in a movie by voice etc.. Gaming is available as well,, (for those who like to play games on a TV set.

Personally, i see the TV as what Apple has said about iOS devices (use the tool that's right for the job)

We had two Apple TV 4's. but i downgraded one of them back to ATV3, because my parents hate the Youtube changes 'recent' search does not stay, unless u have an account..

No way i'm gonna log in just for that. Apple TV 3 less of the fuss and simpler. There is the occasional hiccup with network loss and Apple won't fix now that 4th gen is out, but that's not really a big deal... The 'recent search' listing on Youtube app is much more of an issue on the 4, but i'm not gonna sacrifice my privacy over that.

I made my decision, :D Since it doesn't affect me because i don't really watch YT on my own 4th gen much at all. its less of a worry.

14. darkarn macrumors 6502

I returned my ATV 4 (or better known as ATV 2015?) and took the ATV 4K mainly due to the A10X chip on it.

I can already see the big difference it is making when I am using Airplay Mirroring from my iPad Pro, just need to confirm that the chip is doing so instead of Airplay 2

15. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Yes I notice an occasional network loss but it does not happen often, just once in a blue moon. If the AT3 had that problem all the time then I would upgrade.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2017 ---
    I dont care about games.

16. priitv8 macrumors 68020

How are you doing AirPlay 2?? As far as I know, it is still not enabled on any platform. You can enable it on tvOS 11 via the Developer menu, but still, I don't have any client to connect to it.

17. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Actually airplay 2 works in IOS 11.

18. priitv8 macrumors 68020

How can I tell the difference if it's playing in AirPlay 1 or 2?

19. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

By the screen. On my iPhone/iPad the screen is different.

20. darkarn macrumors 6502

I don't know either, hence the way I phrased my post. I also got a thread asking this too

Not sure what you mean by it looking different, sorry

21. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-11/

22. darkarn macrumors 6502

I didn't get this screen when Airplay Mirroring from my iPad to the ATV so it looks like Airplay 2 is not being used?

23. priitv8 macrumors 68020

On my iOS 11 screen, I see same layout, but multiple selection of AirPlay speakers is not possible. So I reckon I am still using v1

24. darkarn macrumors 6502

Looks like they are right about AirPlay 2 not being out yet...

25. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

Yours is real fast when apps are loading and you get a spinning wheel for 15 seconds beforehand? I think you have ATV3 Stockholm syndrome my fellow man.