What's the best explorer.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yaser1987, Aug 4, 2010.

?

Which one do you prefer the most and why?

1. Safari

28 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. FireFox

27 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Google Chrome

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. yaser1987 macrumors member

yaser1987

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I like Ferdinand Magellan, personally. Circumnavigating the globe was a pretty amazing feat.

3. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Safari 5.

It's fast, well integrated within OS X, and the extensions don't slow it down like it does to Firefox.

Sir Francis Drake was better. At least he actually circumnavigated the globe and lived to tell the tale. :p

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

browser, not explorer.
    thats apples and oranjes, consider the massive difference in numbers and functions of the addons for these two browsers. You can come back and make a more convincing statement after safari has a tenth of firefox's addons.

5. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

You have a Netscape avatar. *facepalm*

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Wanna make somethin' of it? I have a netscape.net e-mail address. So there! :p

7. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

8. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Blast, there isn't an option for IE4 :p

I tend to use whatever's the default on the OS I'm using. Therefore, I use IE8 on Windows and Safari on OS X and I'm quite happy with both of them.

Though, I do have Safari installed on Windows as well which I quite like and bounce between that and IE:)

I've used Google Chrome before and it's quite nice but it never really discouraged me from the browsers I'm already familiar with.

9. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Firefox's ancestor is Netscape. ;)

10. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I have been using Chrome for a few months now, and it is fast (snappier than Safari!) and hasn't been eating my ram like Firefox and Safari tend to do.

11. waznuf macrumors newbie

On my MBP, firefox hogs up waaay too many system resources compared to safari. I feel like browsing on safari 5 is so light and natural compared to firefox which opening it up and browsing the internet is like an exhaustive undertaking. I don't know if that makes any sense, its hard to explain.

When deciding which browser to use as a default, I'd suggest strictly using one for at least a good week before making any decisions. That way, in a week, you'll probably have tested the extremes of each browser. Like either going to a flash-intensive site or just something like opening up Google really quickly. You'll get a better feel for it in general. Don't base the decision off the experience of going to one website for a few minutes and not enjoying that one occurrence.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i noticed you have said nothing about my facts. why bother then?

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I prefer Firefox. Chrome seemed to simplistic to me as their is hardly anything in the preferences and I hate the search and address bars being the same.

Safari is decent but the lack of add-ons is a deal breaker for me.

14. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I definitely agree with you on the whole firefox thing. It is indeed a resource hog. Personally, I like Chrome. But for some reason, it seems to eat away a bit more battery life than Safari does...I already posted something asking if anyone else experienced this, but no one else really has haha. Maybe it's just me :p

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

funny how people feel the things that doesn't match the data.

[​IMG]
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/opera-10.60-internet-explorer-9-safari-5,2680-10.html

I think its not much better under OSX.

16. wad11656 macrumors member

wad11656

HA HA HA. It's rare I laugh while reading forum posts.

Ha ha That's just awesome. I still have that old thing on my Leopard too. I'm currently working on getting a IE8 image file running under VMware Fusion. It'll be awesome!

EDIT:
    Besides the "search and address bars being the same" annoyance, which I actually like, I have the same opinion as velocityg.

17. Xavier macrumors 68020

Chrome for me. I haven't tried the new version of Firefox, but I will probably venture to it when I have a slow day.

18. waznuf macrumors newbie

Well, you have to take things like this with a grain of salt. I mean it isn't everyday that you have literally 40 tabs open. I don't think I've actually ever had that. And sure in an extreme case of 40 tabs, Firefox may turn out to be the winner just because of its better tab handling. But I still hold my ground that on day-to-day average usage, Safari is lot more swift.

19. waznuf macrumors newbie

Also it just me or like with any browser I use, mashable.com's site is mind-bogglingly slow. Its ONLY that one site. Even when I use safari, I hear my fans start churning faster and the page lags as I try to scroll down. It's really annoying because its such a good website otherwise.

20. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

Firefox, until recently. Now it's Google Chrome.

I like love the functionality of Firefox, but it isn't very Mac-integrated, nor is it very elegant. Chrome is functional, and it fills in the gaps, too. It's not as functional as Firefox, but I like that; it keeps me from creating 400+ bookmarks. :D

21. Velocifero macrumors newbie

Firefox with adblock plus and color management extensions. It's a no-brainer. I only use Safari when I have to. I'm used to not seeing ads so when I use another browser, it's a real annoyance.

22. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Chrome is king in my book. Still to this day the only reason I don't use Safari is because of the key commands for switching tabs and my inability to change them. Cmd-1, 2, 3, etc. should switch to the open tab, NOT load a bookmark!

23. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

I thought the same thing when I realized that in Safari. If the bookmark toolbar isn't showing, you better memorize what each Cmd+# does, otherwise it's completely pointless.

Sure, you could keep your bookmarks toolbar open, at the cost of valuable browser real estate.

24. Northgrove macrumors 65816

Chrome at work and at home, and of course syncing them with each other across the platforms. :)

25. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

You can open just five tabs, using firefox and safari alternatively for 2 hours, and check your system monitor for yourself.

Its not only about 40 tabs, its also about safari's poor memory management through time in each session. It keeps leaking when time goes by.

you may feel swift here and there with this or that browser, but system resource is not the place you should draw conclusion about.