What's The Better Computer/Deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by grainhog, Apr 11, 2011.

1. grainhog macrumors newbie

Refurbished 13" Macbook Pro (April 2010) = $929

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

New 13" Macbook = $999

2.4GHz : 250GB
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB DDR3 memory
    250GB hard drive1
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
    Built-in 7-hour battery2
    Polycarbonate unibody enclosure

thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That refurb MBP is by far the better deal, since it's the same generation (essentially) as the MacBook. Same speed, same drive, more RAM, better battery, aluminum enclosure. There's no advantage to the Macbook unless you like spending $70 more for plastic.

Actually, I should clarify, that only applies if it's an Apple Refurb with the standard warranty. You're not mentioning where this deal is from.

jW

3. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

4. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Get the Pro, you can upgrade that to 8GB of RAM..I think 4GB is the max on the MacBook

5. grainhog, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011

grainhog thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm in nyc. is that a legit vendor? seems too good a deal.

and yeah, i'm thinking the refurbished mbpro is the way to go. it's through the apple store.

it's really one or the other (of above options. not sure you can upgrade ram on a refurbished item...). i'm getting an imac for my video/photo needs, so 2gb or ram is fine for a basic use laptop. don't want to spend over $1,000 for it.

6. ECUpirate44, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011

ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Microcenter is legit.

You can buy more ram from Newegg or OWC and do it yourself. 2GB of Ram is barely enough for basic use imo.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd probably go with the Micro Center deal, and there are a few in your area. It is the current generation base model 13" for $999, which I would say is a better deal than either of the others. Alternatively, the refurb 13" is a much, much better deal than the new MacBook.

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I owned both these models and purchased each from microcenter in NJ - they only charge 3.5% sales tax. Great place with great deals.

That said I would get the 13" MBP from MC for 1,035 with tax. Alternatively I would get the refurb mbp

9. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I didnt mean it like that, what I meant was longer term. In a year or two if you decide to upgrade the RAM, the Pro will handle 8.

10. iLucas macrumors 6502

Actually 8GB is the max in the new macbooks according to everymac

11. grainhog thread starter macrumors newbie

forgive me, i'm a newbie when it comes to these things, but how can they get away with charging $999 for a new macbook pro with those specs?

12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

They likely sell it at cost. It gets people in the store and they buy other things plus people like us advertise it - the deal is for 'pick up only'.

They have run this for at least a year. I purchased a 2009 MP for $799 + 3.5% tax, and a 2010 for $999 plus 3.5% tax. Both were $200 form list, just like the current 2011 MBP. The deal was so good that I actually sold my 2010 MBP six months later for more than I paid. Mac's hold their value. My current 2010 15" MBP was purchased from Amazon on black friday weekend for only $1,675, no tax and free shipping.

If you live in NY near the NJ store and have a car then then it is worth the trip. Just reserve online and you take your printout to the pickup window. Their policy is also to have a manager great your. The store itself is also fun to walk around and makes Best Buy look like amateurs with there tech stuff.

13. shaun319 macrumors member

14. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

BTW - if you do go with the new 13" MBP at Microcenter you might be pleased to know that it will take up to 16Gb RAM. Of course that cost more than the computer but performance boosts are possible with more ram and a bigger, faster (7200 or SSD) drive.

15. grainhog thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the help! looks like i'll be making a trip to microcenter tomorrow

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Wow, I didn't know microcenter had mbp's for that price. If they continue doing this in the future, I'm going to have to buy from them instead of Apple. That discount is just too good to pass up.

17. Vantage Point, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Don't forget to make a reservation for the computer online and get a printout. They will hold it for you for about 2 days (?) and if you do not claim it it goes back to stock. They do not bill your CC until you pick it up.

Also, make a list of other things you may want or need since the tax is only 3.5% (the northern NJ store only). The half tax is legal and the state does this to help that area bring in business. Also, the store is very easy to get to, about a minute or two off the highway.

Another great place to buy Mac's is B&H Photo in NYC. They have slight discounts, free shipping and no tax - they also carry BTO models. Since you live in NYC you would pay the 8% tax so it may not be worth considering. But, MC, B&H and Amazon are my favorite places to shop.

BTW - the Apple Care from B&H is only $190 for the 13" and $244 for the 15 and 17". Big savings over Apple and free shipping (no tax outside of NYC. You have a year to purchase AC

18. grainhog thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't see the info online. i suppose i can call and i will, but -- does the microcenter price include a 1 yr warranty like apple?

19. Jony Mac, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Coming directly from Apple's site.. "Slots support up to 4GB" If you try and customize a new MacBook on their store you cannot go above 4GB. I know I've read about some secret firmware allowing you to go to 8GB, but I believe this is only on the 2008 unibody model.

MacBook: How to remove or install memory
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651#link1

Applicable models

MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010)
    MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009)
    Memory specifications

These MacBook models have these memory specifications:
    Number of memory slots 2
    Base memory 2 GB (but also configured to order)
    Maximum memory 4 GB

Memory card specifications - Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR SO-DIMM) format
    - 30mm
    - 1 GB or 2 GB
    - 204-pin
    - PC3-8500 DDR3 1066 MHz Type RAM

20. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

The warranty from Microcenter, as well as any other authorized Apple retailer, are identical - handled through Apple and you can call or make an appointment at the Genius bar at your local apple store. The warranty period starts the day you turn it on a register it (I bought a refurb imac and the warranty started the day it was shipped). This includes 90 day of phone support. You also have up to a year to decide to buy Apple Care which includes 3 years phone support and parts/labor.

Also, you can swap out the RAM or hard drive yourself without voiding warranty.

As for the link to reserve one. Just go to the site and find the MBP and put it in your cart. Then select the store, NJ - North Jersey/Paterson. Then check out. They will take your information but will not bill your CC. Then place the order and you will get a confirmation email within 18 minutes to print out. Since this is a 'pick-up' only' item you can't buy it online if you tried.

Yes, the deal is that good and that legit. There are many threads for the past year of people buying one at MC. I did it twice. Best deal out there!!!

21. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

22. acies909 macrumors newbie

Actually they loose money on this deal, I used to work for MicroCenter but left about 2 months ago. They sell it for about $150 under the cost for the MBP. Apple Retailer usually don't make any money on computers, they make their money on their specific Warranties that offer on the computers. Not the AppleCare, but MicroCenters Replacement Plan or Accidental Damage Plans. They will still sell the AppleCare to you. I still like buying the computer from the Apple Store just because the people their are not trying to push things on me. They don't work on commission at the Apple Store where the people at MicroCenter do.

23. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

24. grainhog thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, picked it up yesterday. for about 4 hours round trip on subways and buses and $4.50 in fare it was def worth saving the $200. mbpro was the way to go. thanks for everyone's help and for turning me on to microcenter!