What's the big deal about the 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scott6666, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I don't quite understand the mania going on with iPhone 4. It doesn't seem to do that much more than my 3GS. If I stick with that I still get all the new software goodies. I'm guessing the hardware will be able to handle the new software. Seems like the 4 has incremental changes. Worthy of getting some day but can anyone explain to me the mania on this one? Seems to be as crazy as when version 1 came out which at the time was truly unique.

I'm not frothing and I love to froth over new Apple stuff.

2. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

and what was so special about the 3G ---> 3Gs Update?

New design, new display, great camera+HD recording, facetime(even tho restricted) better battery+antenna.

What did the 3Gs get? 2x faster and a compass?

It's just been a while since a major major update.

3. svalentine macrumors regular

Camera and the A4 chip. I think its a worthy upgrade for those 2 alone. You can bet that a lot of apps will start taking advantage of the extra power and older phones (3G/3GS) will run some newer apps sluggish.

4. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

-Camera
    -720p 30fps recording
    -The screen
    -Design

That is what pushed me to the iPhone from the Verizon Droid. What other people are looking for may vary. I am by no means an Apple fanboi, but until I see android phones crashing servers when trying to be ordered, Apple is doing things correctly.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

Scott, I completely agree. Also, at $599 it's making it really hard to purchase. I think I'm gonna skip on this one.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It doesn't blend.

Oh, and it has a front facing camera.

7. WHM macrumors regular

Because it's new. This will be my 4th iPhone and I have only laid out cash for the original. I have been able to sell my phone each time a new one comes out for at least as much as the prior one cost. I hope Apple never leaves A.T.&T. because there is a lot of demand for the iPhone without a contract. If more carriers picks up the iPhone the price of new ones will fall! A.T.&T. works great in my area and I have a happy camper to get a new one every year

8. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

+1. This is the only iPhone that has seen a design change and hardware improvements.

9. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Coming from the 3G, it's a huge step up. Adds video, a much better camera, faster processor, (hopefully) better reception and that pretty screen. If I had a 3GS, I probably would have waited a bit.

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

As I have said in other threads,
    at $199 it's definitely a worthy upgrade.

At $599 for me, I'm not so sure.

3G -> 3GS was a huge upgrade for me. Video Recording, Camera Focus, Compass, way faster, somewhat decent battery life, etc.

3GS -> 4G does include a new design but that's meaningless to me, HD Video Recording (but I barely use it on my 3GS), LED Flash which is nice to have I'm not going to lie, better display (which is also awesome), and Wifi Video Calling which I can do with my Mac and I never use it, so that's out.

I just felt that I would use the 3GS features more, and the 4G features aren't really all that compelling to me. Like I said, at $199 absolutely I'd buy it. No questions asked. But a better camera and screen for $600, I'm not so sure that's worth it to me, and I'm a huge apple fanboi :). I have had all iPhone's since launch, iPad 64GB Wifi, and a 13" Macbook Pro :).

11. Dcuellar macrumors regular

Battery life, new design, display quality, better pictures/videos, front-facing camera.

Those are my reasons for wanting the 4. I don't really care what other people think about it. The only one shelling out the money for my phone is me and if the value is there for me then Apple has my money. It's all subjective valuation, really. I'm just fortunate that many agree with me and create this demand, otherwise Apple would not be making products like this.

12. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I got the original iPhone, the iPhone 3G and waited to upgrade to the iPhone 4. I think a lot of people are doing the same. The 3G will not be capable of multi tasking, and you can't deny that in a toss up between the 3GS and 4, the 4 wins.

Some other advantages people didn't mention:
    • Longer battery life
    • Slimmer
    • Tougher glass
    The new screen is 4 times as fine, making web browsing better without zooming in.

So the new iPhone isn't for everyone, but there are definitely reasons to upgrade.

13. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

The 3G really needed the processor update to survive the new software. So that upgrade was really a must. The accolades about the 3GS was that is was really zippy so I perceive it remains zippy enough. Am I wrong here? How much faster is the new one? I don't perceive my 3GS to be slow.

More battery might be enough since the battery on the 3G dies before the end of the day. A better camera would be nice (the cameras always did suck). But none of this explains the mania. I expect it from the MR members but to sell out this quickly the general public must have felt the mania - or supply is severely constrained.

I have a family plan. My own 3GS is eligible to upgrade. My daughter has an upgrade eligible in October. My younger daughter currently has a non-Apple phone and is not eligible to next April (she keeps losing her phones. Twice now!). The plan at hand is to give my upgrade to the younger daughter so she can finally become an Apple person. I wonder if I am really losing out by offering her my upgrade but I can't get past the feeling that my GS is just fine.

14. aristobrat macrumors G5

And an updated physical design.

You've been here long enough to know what a new design to a product can do to people! :D

Also, I think that there's a large group of people who went from the original iPhone to the 3G, and held there as they weren't eligible for a "full upgrade" to the 3GS. So for them, going from a 3G to a 4 is a huge leap in regards to performance and battery life.

15. mysticalone macrumors newbie

16. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

If you feel your fine with your 3Gs and she wants the iPhone 4...it's really a no brainer...

compared to any non apple phone, this is a HUGE upgrade :D

17. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I guess I might be surprised at how many people kept their 3G and skipped the 3GS. That would explain a lot of it if true. It would also explain why the 3GS launch did not feel as frothy.

So upgraders, what model are you upgrading from to get 4?

18. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Ain't that the truth.

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

The hype is more about Apple as a brand and the iPhone as a product in general. I think the iAnything brand Apple has is one of the greatest marketing successes of my life and I enjoy seeing it evolve and succeed.

The phone itself is a step forward, but not a huge leap. Mainly because the advantages and improvements will require a better network and a user base to really see it take off. Thus the reason why we see Facetime limited to wifi and the front camera being VGA only. Cool move forward, but call me excited when we can have a better quality f.f.camera and video chat with HQ images over a cell network.

I entered the iPhone scene when my wife got a 3G. Cool, but it was never all that I thought it would be. I personally got a Gs as when comparing the two, I saw a first hand real bump in speed and fluidity when working with apps of all types. Will the 4G offer a simliar bump? Not sure. However, there's no delay or slowness to my 3Gs, so I can't imagine it's going to be that much faster with the apps I work with. Now perhaps the newer more intensive apps will eventually work better on the latest processor, but I don't foresee that really being a concern for another year or so. Thus why the upgrade periods are relatively short. I have not doubt the 3Gs will continue to be great for another 1-2 years even with new apps.

20. lasuther macrumors 6502a

$15 data plan might have more to do with the increase interest. A lot of people never got iPhones because of the $30 data plan.

21. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

The 3G....I felt like the 3Gs Wasnt worth the early upgrade fee....

iPhone 4 on the other hand would be....even tho I got it subsidized.

22. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Stop with all the frothing! I'm imagining you in a queue with a foaming mouth! ;)

One other reason to upgrade - sell your iPhone before it looses too much value and you can upgrade for free on contract (or even pocket enough to buy a new dock!).

23. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

If I had the 3Gs and I had to pay $200 more than I will be, I might agree with you. But between the front facing camera (and the camera being 5 MP), great screen, faster processor, etc., it is a major upgrade for me, who has the 3G.

24. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I forgot about that. That could be a big deal for me. I never wanted to pay $30/month for the kid.

What happens when you hit your cap for the $15 plan. Does data just stop or do you get charged crazy overage fees?

25. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

If your kid is like me ( 16 and a moderate data user )....go for at least 2GB....it gets sucked up fast..

you would also get charged a fee for every so many GB or MB you went over....i forgot what the cost was.