Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Ok, so I just noticed it yesterday, but my home button is loose. I can shift it around with my fingers.

I just scheduled an appointment with the genius.

I bought the phone full-retailed price $849 plus tax.

I dont want one refurbished or new in a white box.

I want one in original packaging with numbers matching the back of the box.

Do you think I have a case in getting a new one in sealed box, granted I bought it at full price without contract instead of discounted price with a contract?

Last edited:

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
the only way i can see you getting a new phone in retail packaging is if you were still within your one month return period, but you're not. if the genius deems a replacement unit is necessary, it'll be a white box model. it also doesn't matter that you purchased it at full price. why would it?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i will also add that exceptions can be (and have been) made. just in case, i'd bring the original box and cables with you. i've found apple employees are more willing to give you the retail box exchange if you can provide everything included from the original.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
the only way i can see you getting a new phone in retail packaging is if you were still within your one month return period, but you're not. if the genius deems a replacement unit is necessary, it'll be a white box model. it also doesn't matter that you purchased it at full price. why would it?

Because if I pay a lot for something, I expect to get what I want, wouldn't you?

I understand if I paid a contract price for it.

I dont think that's too much to ask, seeing they have an abundance of supply now.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
anyone else that think I may have a chance?

Do you guys think it may depend on the genius also, depending on their mood? :)

If not I may probably just get the replacement, sell it, and buy a new one. My OCD is killer :)

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Because if I pay a lot for something, I expect to get what I want, wouldn't you?

I dont think that's too much to ask, seeing they have an abundance of supply now.

If you were unhappy with your device you should of brought it back in your return window and received your money back. IF there is an issue after that time period why should you get a retail boxed item? You got what you paid for which was an out of contract phone. IF they see fit to exchange it you will be receiving an out of contract phone..... no different than a retail boxed phone. You're not special and don't deserve special treatment simply because YOU feel you should. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
If you were unhappy with your device you should of brought it back in your return window and get your money back. IF there is an issue after that time period why should you get a retail boxed item? You got what you paid for which was an out of contract phone. IF they see fit to exchange it you will be receiving an out of contract phone..... no different than a retail boxed phone. You're not special and don't deserve special treatment simply because YOU feel you should. Good luck.

But do you think there may be a slight chance I could get the retailed box item depending on who I speak to?

Or you think I may be wasting my time arguing my case?

Thanks!

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
bushman, it's best that if you do get a replacement, you should ask them.

It's been at least 2 months since it came out.

With all the reports of people receiving their phones with knicks and scratches, I would highly doubt that there are not refurbished ones being used as replacements.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011

Contract or not, you aren't entitled to anything buddy. You accepted the terms and want to cheat the system. You will be wasting their time.

I have bought a lot of cars. I don't demand a new one just because I don't like something. Close to 1k is cute. I spent thousands on Mac and Apple products.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
OP, stop asking strangers if you will get a brand new phone in the retail box. Just go in and ask Apple, not here.

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
No your not getting one sealed in box. Your not entitled to nothing because to you payed a lot of money. So did millions of others. Your out of your return period. You'll get one with a white box. The guy a few post above was right. Don't feel so entitled. Your not getting a Sealed one. And also it doesn't matter there the same thing. Some of you ppl go overboard here.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
bushman, it's best that if you do get a replacement, you should ask them.

It's been at least 2 months since it came out.

With all the reports of people receiving their phones with knicks and scratches, I would highly doubt that there are not refurbished ones being used as replacements.

A refurbished unit with noticeable scratches will receive a new case, so there is basically no difference in getting a new unit or a refurbished one. What is different is only the package.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I bought the phone full-retailed price $849 plus tax.

So? I paid full price for mine as well, I don't feel entitled to a BRAND NEW PHONE just because there is a defect.

I dont want one refurbished or new in a white box.

I want one in original packaging with numbers matching the back of the box.

Why does it matter? I mean, really, it shouldn't matter at all. The phone you're taking in is slightly used, why should you get a brand new phone in exchange? Apple has every responsibility to repair or replace it if there is a defect, I fully understand that.

Additionally, the white box phones, up until recently were still NEW phones. To top it off, EVERY refurb I've seen was in like new condition.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
The refurb or white box models go through more additional testing than newly sealed ones. So you will most likely get a better functioning device. And the outer part of the phone will be brand new anyway.

Lammercy

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
If not I may probably just get the replacement, sell it, and buy a new one. My OCD is killer :)
You're doing the most but whatever tickles your fancy lol. I've heard of crazier things happening though, I guess it just depends on who you get for a genius.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
OP you bought the phone brand new two months ago, but the phone you are returning is not brand new so why are you entitled to a brand new phone?

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
yeah that makes sense now with your guys' explanation

I decided not to deal with the headache.

Thanks!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I just get the impression you want a brand new sealed one with matching serial numbers to sell on... I may be wrong but I'd imagine the genius would feel the same too.

Actually makes no difference. If anything, a few days old refurb with brand new battery, screen and case commands a higher premium than a year old phone when it's time to sell.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
yeah that makes sense now with your guys' explanation

I decided not to deal with the headache.

Thanks!

Probably a good move. A lot of iPhone 5/5S seem to have a loose power button, including my own iPhone 5. It appears to be a problem with the design IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.