Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I want one for 10 bucks or less, what's a cheap decent brand to get?

Thanks

iphone 5

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
ONe that's actually worth something. I'm thinking of the techarmor one.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Cheaper isn't always better. I'm using the Mime ghost glass and am quite happy with it after the first 24hrs.

This was a free replacement for their feather glass that was nice but chipped easily.

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I went cheap and bought a $20 one from RadioShack (RadioShack brand). While its ok, it does have its problems that more expensive and better quality ones don't have.

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
I'm using the Bodyguardz Pure for 1.5 months or so. I could not be happier. Application was easy and it fits my Tough Armor case without any rub or problems.

It is a bit expensive but in the time I've had it, I have not seen so much as one micro scratch. The feel is identical to the bare glass in my experience. All this with 12.95 replacements for life. I highly recommend their Pure solution.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Glass is glass. Only difference is thickness. Don't believe the hype, those other companies charge more because of packaging and stuff included in the box.

rlb4

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
Try the iloome screen mate flex. It is only $17 on Amazon and gets great reviews. Most others are $25+.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Try the iloome screen mate flex. It is only $17 on Amazon and gets great reviews. Most others are $25+.

+1, I actually own the Mime feather glass, but would recommend the iloome for anyone looking to get in a little cheaper. If my mime ever does crack or fail I will probably pick one up

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I ordered BodyGuardz Pure earlier. They have a 50% off sale. $20, normally is $40.

Glass is glass. Only difference is thickness. Don't believe the hype, those other companies charge more because of packaging and stuff included in the box.

Inaccurate. Not all glass has the same clarity, nor is it cut the same.

----------

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
+1, I actually own the Mime feather glass, but would recommend the iloome for anyone looking to get in a little cheaper. If my mime ever does crack or fail I will probably pick one up

I actually wouldn't get the iLoome flex. I find the unmoving piece of glass extremely easy to install. I wouldn't want to go back to struggling to apply a flexible protector.

Dascoyne

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2013
Palo Alto, Ca
I actually wouldn't get the iLoome flex. I find the unmoving piece of glass extremely easy to install. I wouldn't want to go back to struggling to apply a flexible protector.
In my experience even the thinnest rigid glass protectors add perceptible thickness. The region around the home button feels recessed and the sharp edge feels uncomfortable. The notable exception is the Spigen Glas.Tr nano is an exception with radiused edges. Is it worth the extra $$$ for that feature? For me it is. My phone cost a lot more than that.

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
It's name and the product are just that, the name and the product.

The iLoome is not 'flexible' like a plastic protector. It's glass, just very thin at that. Had it for nearly 2 months now and no more damage than it got in its first 24hrs of use.

----------

In my experience even the thinnest rigid glass protectors add perceptible thickness. The region around the home button feels recessed and the sharp edge feels uncomfortable. The notable exception is the Spigen Glas.Tr nano is an exception with radiused edges. Is it worth the extra $$$ for that feature? For me it is. My phone cost a lot more than that.
This edge is quite minor on the iLoome and with the touch Id metal ring you can't even tell it's there. No difference to me

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I ordered BodyGuardz Pure earlier. They have a 50% off sale. $20, normally is $40.

Inaccurate. Not all glass has the same clarity, nor is it cut the same.

----------

I've had four different brands of glass protectors in front of me. Once they're out of the packaging and placed side by side, you can't tell a difference.

Only difference is thickness as I have already stated.

rlb4

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009

All of the glass screen protectors are flexible to some degree. The iloome was much easier to apply than a plastic screen protector and is much less likely to get air bubbles. I used the 2 piece of tape hinge method and it is almost fool proof.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
I am sure that they all look the same to the naked eye, but there are different levels of hardness (Mohs scale) depending upon which type of hardened or tempered glass you buy.

I am certainly not an expert, but "glass is glass" somewhat oversimplifies things, don't you think?

Somewhat unrelated to OP:

What I find interesting is Sapphire glass. This is just under diamond on the hardness scale. Apple recently purchased GT Advanced, who will be building a sapphire glass plant in AZ. The video on how they make it is interesting. I bet this will be used more for screens and possibly the iWatch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsCER0uwiWI#t=45

Certainly not "cheapest", but so far toughest protector - http://www.amazon.com/XGear-IP4-KRY-Krystal-Sapphire-Protector/dp/B00D8NHUR2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.