Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
You can tap at the top or bottom of the touchpad, just like on the left and right, when in a menu and it goes up or down one item.

As for scrolling thru lists, I just do a big swipe.
Now I got it! You meant tapping, I tried clicking.
Because clicking left-right edges while on playback timeline works exactly the same as with old remote, I was assuming you referred to old-style behaviour of the new remote.

nickosbad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks for the replies everyone, so if my main use of ATV is to stream from my computer then theres probably no reason to upgrade..

Would anyone be kind enough to take a photo of how the library looks in the new version??

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I can snap a photo of the Home Sharing screen when I get home from work today. Here's a Youtube video from someone showing it on their system:

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Thanks for the replies everyone, so if my main use of ATV is to stream from my computer then theres probably no reason to upgrade..

The lack of change to the Computer/ my library interface was the main reason for me retuning the ATV4 and sitting with the older one. I see no reason to updated based on my needs for the device.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
The lack of change to the Computer/ my library interface was the main reason for me retuning the ATV4 and sitting with the older one. I see no reason to updated based on my needs for the device.

Well, it does what it needs to, so no need to change it for the sake of it. Tho I do like that the thumbnails slide across the screen in the background of the menu on the ATV4

Chill2

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
Brisbane
Well, it does what it needs to, so no need to change it for the sake of it. Tho I do like that the thumbnails slide across the screen in the background of the menu on the ATV4

Not even close to "doing what it needs to" - perhaps its fine for a small collection but what if you have a big one - I have just over 1000 movies, all legal and paid for from iTunes - try scrolling through that list !!! There is no search no way to get to "Watchmen" with out scrolling through the whole list !

It is the worst interface apple have ever made - total crap and a slap in the face to all the loyal iTunes buyers that need to download and store local due to slow internet

Tim Cook and Eddie Cue sort out this crap

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Thank you for posting that video, pjarvi. I still "only" have an ATV3, so I hadn't seen the new Computers menu.

It took me two viewings a day apart to realize -- It's the iPod Classic menu on the television! Scrollable selections on one half, your library's cover art panning across at random on the other.

I'm not complaining about the aesthetics of it, but I do think it's funny that it highlights how they've taken the scrollable menu interface from the old iPod, and they believe this, still, to be just as functional on a television. (It's not. It's nottttt.)

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Photos:

Untitled.png Untitled2.png Untitled3.png Untitled5.png

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Not even close to "doing what it needs to" - perhaps its fine for a small collection but what if you have a big one - I have just over 1000 movies, all legal and paid for from iTunes - try scrolling through that list !!! There is no search no way to get to "Watchmen" with out scrolling through the whole list !

It is the worst interface apple have ever made - total crap and a slap in the face to all the loyal iTunes buyers that need to download and store local due to slow internet

Tim Cook and Eddie Cue sort out this crap

If you have it legal paid thru iTunes, then Siri should find it and you can play it via iTunes in the cloud or you can search thru that, which renders that issue moot.

Chill2

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
Brisbane
If you have it legal paid thru iTunes, then Siri should find it and you can play it via iTunes in the cloud or you can search thru that, which renders that issue moot.
Nope

I live in Australia and my internet is bloody slow, takes 1.5 hours before a movie will play via the cloud

So I need to download and play local files

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness

I'm guessing you don't buy much from iTunes. Or you haven't been for very long.

At the drop of a licensing hat, any one of your movies can be removed from the catalog. Sometimes it will come back, but somehow, not as the same movie, not as the one you 'bought'.

So, while you may have bought SuperAwesomeFlick in 2011, you don't actually own the SuperAwesomeFlick that's currently on the iTunes store (even though, they are the identical film version). As a result, if you delete your copy, you cannot redownload it. Nor can you stream it from the cloud on any device. It is only available if you sync it manually (homesharing).

Of course Siri is not going to help you play these types of movies, it will only direct you to the current version on the iTunes store (which you don't actually own). And obviously for the movies and TV shows that simply disappear from the iTunes catalog and never come back, Siri is of no use either.

It's not a lot to ask to want an interface that lets you browse movies (especially those you own) without hassle. Plex, Netflix, Infuse all have interface schemes which far surpass the current implementation under Computers (even as bad as Netflix and Infuse currently are on the ATV).

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
So, while you may have bought SuperAwesomeFlick in 2011, you don't actually own the SuperAwesomeFlick that's currently on the iTunes store (even though, they are the identical film version). As a result, if you delete your copy, you cannot redownload it. Nor can you stream it from the cloud on any device. It is only available if you sync it manually (homesharing).

While I understand that this is a theoretical possibility, I have not seen it happen. What has happened is that while my old movie is no longer associated with the new version (the Play button doesn't show up), it is still available under the Purchases tab and can be played from there.

A.

Reactions: shandyman

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I'm guessing you don't buy much from iTunes. Or you haven't been for very long.

I have about 150 from iTunes and all are still there. I've had movies bought via iTunes for a long time, I think probably from about the time they started doing them. Never lost any of them. I have them backed up, along with my music, like anyone with any sense, but never use them that way.

I know it happens, but not as much as your doom and gloom post indicates.

Edit: I googled it and doesn't look like any have been, yet. The only thing is about a couple Disney ones a couple years back, which turned out to be a glitch.

TL: DR MrTemple likes to spread fear...

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I've never understood the point of people arguing against someone else's want for a feature simply because they personally wouldn't find a use for it and therefore the other person is wrong.

- A grid view of movie covers option or a simpler way to scroll the list would be nice.
- No. That's frivolous and I wouldn't use it. Let's carry on like this for twenty more posts.

Chill2

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
Brisbane
I've never understood the point of people arguing against someone else's want for a feature simply because they personally wouldn't find a use for it and therefore the other person is wrong.

- A grid view of movie covers option or a simpler way to scroll the list would be nice.
- No. That's frivolous and I wouldn't use it. Let's carry on like this for twenty more posts.

Well said

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

If you're aiming that at me. I was never arguing against it. I was just offering my own opinion and comments.

Also, not a feature and more just a redesign of an existing one.

Obviously the 'issue' hasn't affected many, since the menu for 'computers' has been the same since the ATV2, if it was a gripe for majority of users, there would be enough vocal complaints for Apple to have done something by now....

If it's really that much of an issue, let Apple know, rather than just moan on here, a non Apple site. The amount of people that whinge, then you ask if they've informed Apple of their grope and then say no, is baffling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.