What's the "Computers" interface look like??

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nickosbad, Dec 31, 2015.

1. nickosbad macrumors regular

Hi all, I'm thinking of upgrading to an ATV4 but as of yet I've not been able to see what the "computers" app interface looks like

I use my current ATV to view all of my 200+ movies from iTunes on my iMac and wondered if anyone does the same on an ATV4 if they could share some pics of the movie library and what it looks like when you select a movie

Also does Siri work with iTunes stored movies of is it only "purchased and iTunes Store" ones

Thanks

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The "Computers" interface looks exactly the same as it did on the ATV3 basically. The only added caveat with the ATV4 is that scrolling through a long movie list using the touch remote can be a pain.

No, Siri doesn't search your local content.

3. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I had the same question a couple weeks ago. I watch a lot of movies from my computer library as well, so a changed and better interface probably would have been a big selling point for me upgrading.

4. MrTemple macrumors regular

From ATV1 to ATV3, I watched all my content through Computers/Homesharing.

On the ATV4, I continued doing the same. But the swipe scrolling is orders of magnitude slower than the old 'hold the down button' interface of the earlier models. The slowness of scrolling through even a few hundred (or dog forbid 1000+) movies was dreadful. It was already a pain in the ATV3 and lower, taking quite a while, even at the ludicrous speed scrolling it would achieve, but in the ATV4, it was untenable. Faster to do a text search for the movie (that should give you an idea as to how much of a pain it was).

Then I tried Plex.

I wondered why I'd never tried it before. I've not played a movie through iTunes since. It's so much better an interface (better than ATV3 too), that I have no desire to go back.

I still use iFlicks to convert and metatag all my movies for iTunes, and I still import them all into iTunes (want the option of going back without a huge hassle), but honestly, Plex and the other 3rd party media interfaces are just so much more thoughtful than Apple's implementation (little wonder, Apple makes no money off you playing your movies through iTunes, they want you to stream everything through the store, even the ones you've 'bought' through iTunes).

Plex is like Netflix for your movies. But the good interface for Netflix, not the junk that we currently have on the ATV4. As a formerly devout iTunes streamer, I have zero desire to go back to streaming through iTunes.

5. nickosbad thread starter macrumors regular

I've been playing with Plex recently but the only problem is it won't play my iTunes purchased movies (only 8 but it's annoying that they're in the library and won't play)

6. MrTemple macrumors regular

Yeah, I've got a few. Apparently there's a way to easily remove the DRM from them, but I haven't bothered.

7. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Plex is great -- used it free for a year and it's quite capable. Over the holidays I spent $5 and tried out the PlexPass subscription. Wow... then it really is like Netflix for your media library, with you being the provider. I've added a relative and a friend to my userlist. Thousands of miles away and they're able to access my library with their Samsung SmartTV Plex apps. You can even share your iTunes Music channel (if you've installed it). The relative gifted me a year subscription for Christmas, but I think she had ulterior motives ;)

8. Che Castro macrumors 603

what was the wow factor with plex pass?
    i tried it and the only useful thing was trailers, but thats not worth $5 a month

you can share your library for free without a plex pass with others

9. benjitek, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Not really a debate just because it isn't of interest to you. o_O It's a nice option to have, but not necessary to get a lot of use out of Plex -- personally, I don't see the subscription as a negative.
    • $5 per month is the cost if you opt for monthly billing. The annual subscription of $39.99 comes to $3.33 per month; that's quite reasonable if you have use for the features. I've no interest in the trailers, but the extras (primarily interviews with the actors/directors) that show up at the bottom of the movie summary screens are nice. I also enjoy the newly added song lyrics for music libraries -- pretty slick Pass feature. I'm also liking now being able to download my vids to my iPhone to watch on my subway commute.
    • Yes, you can share your library for free, but it's all or nothing -- and not to individual user accounts. Pass lets you add users and define which libraries (and Channels) each user can access. You can further restrict access by movie or TV ratings (R, PG, PG13, TVPG, TVMA, etc). You can also grant users permission to download the videos you give them access to.
    I think Plex is very generous to provide such a simple and robust product for free, but they've got bills to pay and are charging a fair price for additional functionality. They haven't crippled their free offering in doing so.

10. Che Castro macrumors 603

They do hold back bug fixes and updates to the server for free users

11. Chill2 macrumors newbie

The ATV computers app is a total disgrace ! And Apples treatment of loyal paying customers is also a disgrace !

I have bought many hundreds of movies from iTunes and NEED to watch them from local storage due to slow internet

I was patient and waited for the new ATV 4 but no joy

So now dumping iTunes, using Plex ( I have removed DRM for all the iTunes movies ) and will now buy movies from other sources

Generally I remain an apple supporter but they are starting to lose me on some things

12. benjitek, Jan 1, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Not true, they give Plex Pass subscribers the option to download beta versions of the media server -- both subscribers and free accounts have access to the release versions on the day they're made available. Doesn't sound like you've spent much time with the product, or you're just very negative... You've yet to make a valid point, and appear to be attempting some sort of debate when there isn't one to be had -- sorry. Good luck with whatever your preferred media library management system of choice might be! :)

13. Che Castro, Jan 1, 2016

Che Castro macrumors 603

Show me where I can download a beta server as a free plex user , I don't see it anywhere on there site or forum

And you are wrong

The last server update was just released for free users but it has been available for like a month for paid subscribers
    And this update had bug fixes for subtitles among other things

My original comment was correct
    They do hold back bug fixes updates for free users
    I should have added "for a time"
    Paid subscribers get them first
    Which is crap holding back known bug fixes unless you pay

I experienced this a while back
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-tv-4-plex-bliss.1935542/page-3

Plex is still a great app , I recommend it over apples homesharing "computer"

14. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Always fully read what you're responding to, less embarrassing for you that way ;) Start with the first sentence of the last post you responded to, and then try to figure out how it contrasts with the first sentence of your response -- a fun little comprehension game for you...

15. Che Castro macrumors 603

not the friendly Benji anymore ? :)
    Plex doesn't call them betas , they call them early access/previews
    And as a paid plex pass subscriber I did not see any warnings about the new update being a beta
    The update with bug fixes was available to all plex pass subscribers

Free users will eventually get it but who knows when (the last one took a month) , they want people to subscribe to plex pass
    This would be like Apple giving out software updates but to 6s owners first

Plex needs to make money I get it

16. shandyman Suspended

You don't have to swipe to scroll through the list, if you tap on the relevant edge of the touch remote, it acts like the old arrows on the old remote, e.g. tapping on the bottom of the touch part acts as a down tap. Though a big swipe down means you can jump down about 10 lines at a time though.

17. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

No, that doesn't work at all like the old remote. The old remote allowed you to click and hold to scroll much faster. The tap method only lets you move one line at a time.

The point is, swipe to scroll is very much sub-optimal when trying to scroll down a long library. Sure I'd love to use Siri instead, but Siri won't search my local library. With any luck that functionality is coming.

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

you can always use your old controller in the atv4 as well. I'm seriously considering using a spare I have laying around.

19. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Please tell me, how do you tap-scroll with siri remote?
    I know, there are tactile buttons on the left and right edges to scroll the timeline of a playback.
    I fail to find any other way of scrolling vertical lists in any other way but swiping.

20. shandyman Suspended

You can tap at the top or bottom of the touchpad, just like on the left and right, when in a menu and it goes up or down one item.

As for scrolling thru lists, I just do a big swipe.

21. shandyman Suspended

It does, in the sense that you can tap to move items. Just doesn't do the hold to scroll. Personally I hated that as it went absurdly fast and was useless for me. Swiping to do a big scroll is better.

As for Siri, that's a hard one to implement, as it requires people to ensure their metadata is competed, or it will just lead to more complaints.

22. MrTemple macrumors regular

Try it with a thousand movies. Or even a few hundred. The ludicrous speed hold-scroll was still pretty slow, and the swiping takes three dozen swipes to get to the movies starting with R.

Unusable for large libraries.

This was the straw that broke this camel's back. I switched to Plex and am SO glad I did.

23. shandyman Suspended

A thousand movies? I don't think the general user has libraries that large, so that's not a general use case that would have been considered I guess. All you can do is submit a suggestion to Apple, rather than rely on being disgruntled on a forum that's not monitored by Apple.

24. MrTemple macrumors regular

Plenty of users have very large libraries. Either of digital copies they've purchased, or ripped from their own media.

Even scrolling through a hundred movies takes far too many clicks/swipes

It used to work fine, it no longer does. It'll get fixed eventually, but it is a marked backstep in interface.

25. shandyman Suspended

Not that large though. Also plenty does not equal the majority. Ripping from own media is still not massively mainstream.

If enough people report it to Apple, it will get dealt with. If not, then it's not mainstream enough to be a widespread issue.