Whats the dumbest thing someone has ever stole from you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by foidulus, Oct 17, 2007.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I'm not talking about the most valuable thing, but instead have you ever had something stolen from you and thought, "Why on EARTH would someone bother to steal that?"

I recently left my bike at a train station here in Germany, and I chained up the bike, but left my helmet securely on the seat. I also left a 40 euro cateye light barely attached to the thing. What did someone choose to steal? The helmet, they left the light unmolested.....No idea what they could do with it, not worth anything and now that means I have to go buy a new helmet which is made even more difficult by the fact that I have a huge head and when I bought this helmet it was the only one in the entire store that fit me. And this is a HUGE bike shop we are talking about!

Anyway, what dumb things have you had stolen from you?

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

the stupdist thing that got stolen from me was when I left my acr at the Bart station (SF bay area subway system). I guess the door didn't lock properly. Anyway, when I got back, I found that my prescription glasses and my phones car charger were taken. I mean, I guess the frames on the glasses might have been worth something, though I don't know where you'd sell them, but the phone charger. They cost like 10 bucks anyway. Its not worth jack. WTF. Glad I didn't leave my really nice sunglasses in the car that day.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If you leave something lying around in a high traffic area, it WILL be stolen, no matter how useless or trivial it is.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well last year some one broke into the house I was renting while my roommate and I where home for Xmas break. Now they took all my friends DVDs , took my 30 buck DVD and his VCR DVD combo, One ninteido 64 controler and the kicker was they took his broken TV that we where planning on taking to the dumpster any way. Saved us a lot of trouble.

Now the funny part is the list of items they missed. They miss my working TV which the DVD players where hook up 2 along with sound system, my DVD collection on the other side of the room from his, the room full of electronics, my nice printer and the 40 bucks in cash I left in plane sight on my book shelf. The kicker is they broke in though my bed room and would of had to walk right past the 40 bucks to get into the rest of the house.

End result stupidest thing was a busted TV we where going to take to the dumper any how and just saved us the trouble. Heck I think it made my room mate money because it was stolen so his insurance had to pay for it.

5. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I once had a single glove stolen. It was annoying me in my pocket so I left it on the floor, walked away for 5 minutes and it was gone.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

THe only thing i have had stolen and as such would be the most stupid was my car. A 1985 Vauxhall Nova, the car was only worth about £200 and it would simply cut out when driving down the road. The worst part about it was that it had a OM10, my watch, my coursebooks, a few CDs, and the stereo + speakers (£300).

7. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I had a charcoal grill stolen from my porch. It was not a Weber, certainly not stainless steel with electronic temperature sensor, it was a cheap WalMart rusted, used, full of ash, grease and soot charcoal grill. I had actually considered throwing it away and getting a new one, but nope! Someone stole it for me.

8. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

There used to be two wheels chained to a fence outside my work, I assume sombody nicked the rest of the bike...
    Then somebody nicked one of the wheels and not the other!

9. tracetritt macrumors member

underware in gym class....that was not funny at all.

10. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

A pen and a lighter

Back in the Eighties, in Madrid, some junkie broke into my mother's car (a Citroën GS) and stole, if my memory doesn't fail me, a blue Bic pen and a lighter (can't remember if it was the car lighter or some cheap plastic lighter).

11. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I have to go along with Rodimus. In a moment of stupidity, I forgot to put the lock back on the storage locker where 90% of my belongings were stored between moves. The only thing missing was an old P3 600 desktop computer I was using for games. They passed up the $300 table saw it was sitting on and the $800 bike sitting next to it. Most of the good stuff was way up at the front of the locker and my other computer was at my parent's house. But it shocked me that they could have cleaned me out and all they took was that old computer...

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I was mugged in Chicago once for $3 -- my bus fare. Had to walk home.

In New York someone smashed my car window in -- then didn't steal anything.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I had my car broke into and they stole the radio / cassette (which had broke) and a litre bottle of oil. They left the leather jacket and camera which was on the back seats.

14. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

A popazon chair (spelling?) and rear car floor mats.

Anyway I had this really sketchy neighbor who drank a lot and got in fights with his girlfriend. We shared a common entryway, and since I lived there before him, I had basically taken it over with my crap. Two weeks before I was going to move out, I find that my rear car floor mats and chair were GONE. I had no interest in the chair and was trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

Solution presented itself.

:D

15. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

oooo that reminds me. In college, somebody stole all of my boxer shorts out of the dryers. ALL of them. my hunch was a sorority stunt, but maybe some weirdo.

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I had someone smash the drivers window and steal a watch from the dashboard of a car I had. Watch was worth about 50p and all the doors in the car were unlocked.:rolleyes:

17. Queso macrumors G4

Up until Monday evening I would have said the oil-stained and ripped canvas cover off my previous motorcycle back in 2003 (leaving the motorbike offensively enough :D), but someone this week walked off with a £1 coffee mug I bought to use at a client's office whilst I'm doing some work there :rolleyes:

18. lanray macrumors regular

When I was in college, I parked my car but left the door open on accident. Someone broke in and stole all the change in my ashtray and the remainder of a book of stamps (maybe 4-5 stamps). They left, however, my credit card that was sitting on top of the change and all kinds of CDs laying in a neat pile on the passenger seat.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Someone at my (old) work kept stealing my pizza (like a slice or two) really annoying. So after a few incidents I wrote notes on the inside of the box telling them I'd been poisoning them. :D

(there was no poison, for the record.)

When I was 9 (IIRC) someone stole the head off of one of my barbie dolls during my birthday party. WTF was that about?

20. geekgirl macrumors regular

Strangely enough... my stapler, off my bookshelf, while my back was turned at work. And yes, it was a Swingline, one of the nice metal ones that staple like a dream, and last forever. Still puzzled about that one... :D

I work in a computer lab, so we get stupid junk stolen all of the time. So far, in the lab over the past several years, people have walked off with a total of six staplers, five pairs of sissors, a really nice three-hole punch (by a faculty member, no less!), and a really nice cutting mat. Countless pens disappear, even though I tape huge ugly flowers to them. Chairs migrate mysteriously to other studios in the building...

All of these are just annoying rather than disasters...

21. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Someone once broke into my car and stole my glasses case. You know, the crappy one Lens Crafters gives you for free.

The best part was the next day, when the thefts are listed in the newspaper. "1400 Block of Fox Run, glasses case."

22. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Way back in like 3rd grade me and my mom donated some food to a food drive in school. My best friend at that time happened to take a can of macaroni and cheese from my bag of goods. When my teacher found out it was missing she searched everyone's bag and found out it was him. I really feel bad though as I didn't mind him taking it since I wasn't really sure of his situation at home, then again I was in 3rd grade and probably wouldn't have understood it either.

23. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I can't think of anything being stolen from me, other than the occasional stapler or pens from my desk, but I remember a weird one that happened to a co-worker...

One of my old offices had some fairly standard office chairs - blue or purple. The company also had a few really nice ergonomic chairs, but they weren't standard issue - you could only get one if you could demonstrate a "need" for it, and you had to have a doctor's note or some other crap like that.

Anyway, one of my co-workers had one, since she had severe back problems. One morning, we came into the office and her chair was gone, and had been replaced by one of the standard issue chairs. Of course, since it's the only "different" looking chair, it was super easy to track down the moron from the office across the hall who had decided to "swap" them. Oh, and in addition to the chair looking different, it also had my co-worker's name on a tag, which was attached to the back of the chair.

24. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

When I was in fifth grade, some electronic game thing.

For those of you in the age group, you remember those game things that were like game boys, but before the game boy? It had one game, it was a cheap LCD thing - you know what I'm talking about. That. I remember knowing who it was that stole it (he asked to look at it, and never gave it back), and my teacher told me that he was a foster kid and I should be nice and not demand it back...

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

How about the dumbest muggers? I've never had anything stolen, but a group of 3 kids, barely older than me at the time, came up to me and asked if they could borrow my iPod. I said "no, I just bought and you're not having it" and just walked off as if it was a young brother/sister asking to borrow it. Can't believe they listened to me.