What's the ETA on blu rays drive's on macbooks?

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I am interested in buying a new macbook once blu-ray drives are added. When will this happen?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Never might be a good answer.

As Apple does not make its update cycle public, nor the contents of the update, we don't know.

But as Steve Jobs said, Blue Ray is a big bag of hurt, so you will most probably not see a Blu Ray drive in any Mac for a long time.

juan370Z

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010

As Apple does not make its update cycle public, nor the contents of the update, we don't know.

But as Steve Jobs said, Blue Ray is a big bag of hurt, so you will most probably not see a Blu Ray drive in any Mac for a long time.
why does steve jobs hate blu ray? i mean..such a beautiful screen and no blu ray...wtf...

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007

What Steve Jobs says and what he is actually planning are two different things, being out of the inner sanctum of apple fanboyism for a while has made me realize that :p

Cant help but admire apple products still though :p

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
It is a mystery.

I for one will not buy a new Mac without a BR-drive. Or if they continue to offer the obsolete Superdrive, I'd at least like to see the option of getting the MBP without an optical drive.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
It is a mystery.

I for one will not buy a new Mac without a BR-drive. Or if they continue to offer the obsolete Superdrive, I'd at least like to see the option of getting the MBP without an optical drive.
For viewing discs on a laptop screen it seems to me that a built in BD player would not do that much. A DVD can be upconverted from 480p to whatever a laptop's maximum resolution is. That's going to look very close to as good on a 17 inch or less screen as a BD would anyway. Among home theater hobbyists, the rule of thumb for an HDTV is that bigger is always better. You won't get the full impact of the startling superiority of a BD's image on any screen much smaller than 50 inches. Right now, there is no way to get the full benefit of a BD's 1080p images and HD audio outside of a well equipped home theater system, or so it seems to me. For that reason, I see few, if any, practical applications for a BD player-burner in a laptop.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
Optical media is dying. Thumb drives and the like aren't there with cost per gig yet, but it's the future.

I can't wait to get a MBP so I can swap the lame DVD drive with another hard drive.

solarein

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
For viewing discs on a laptop screen it seems to me that a built in BD player would not do that much. A DVD can be upconverted from 480p to whatever a laptop's maximum resolution is. That's going to look very close to as good on a 17 inch or less screen as a BD would anyway. Among home theater hobbyists, the rule of thumb for an HDTV is that bigger is always better. You won't get the full impact of the startling superiority of a BD's image on any screen much smaller than 50 inches. Right now, there is no way to get the full benefit of a BD's 1080p images and HD audio outside of a well equipped home theater system, or so it seems to me. For that reason, I see few, if any, practical applications for a BD player-burner in a laptop.
But you sit much closer to a laptop screen than an HDTV, so you will notice the resolution difference. Plus it's nice to be able to connect your laptop to an HDTV to watch Blu-Ray for those who don't have dedicated systems and just use their laptops for all their media but who may have an HDTV somewhere. That's the situation for many college students living in dorms.

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
why does steve jobs hate blu ray? i mean..such a beautiful screen and no blu ray...wtf...
He hates because he cannot get any profit from it ;) I don't think there's another excuse.

With iTunes he (Apple) gets a percentage every time someone buys anything (tv episodes, movies,...), but if you watch a Blu-Ray movie on your MB(P), no money goes to Apple's pocket.
Apple is proud of the quality you get from what you buy on iTunes, hence it wouldn't make sense to let your customers use something it will (possibly) reduce your profit :)

Anyways, iTunes is a banned software on any mac under my control, an embedded audio/video shop in a player. iTunes used to be good, but Apple doesn't give a s**t about it anymore. They just care about forcing you to use the store (funny... they care so much about usability and design, but they've forgotten that in something they get most of their revenues from...)

yargk

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
But you sit much closer to a laptop screen than an HDTV, so you will notice the resolution difference. Plus it's nice to be able to connect your laptop to an HDTV to watch Blu-Ray for those who don't have dedicated systems and just use their laptops for all their media but who may have an HDTV somewhere. That's the situation for many college students living in dorms.
+1,
it will be obvious

hippo206

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2007
Optical media is dying. Thumb drives and the like aren't there with cost per gig yet, but it's the future.

I can't wait to get a MBP so I can swap the lame DVD drive with another hard drive.
Can't stamp thumb drives, we are still a ways off from that.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
It's still a function of screen size. Even a 480p image is going to look great if it is first upconverted to the computer's maximum resolution and then only needs to be spread over the viewable area of a relatively small laptop screen.

solarein

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
It's still a function of screen size. Even a 480p image is going to look great if it is first upconverted to the computer's maximum resolution and then only needs to be spread over the viewable area of a relatively small laptop screen.
And perceived screen size is a function of viewing distance. So it cancels out. By your logic a 480p image is going to look great upconverted to a 50inch HDTV's maximum resolution too, provided you sit far enough away from it.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
That's all well and good, but Apple's competitors have been offering amazing FullHD screens on laptops for quite some time. Those take advantage of Blu-Ray's resolution, so I don't see the problem. Obviously, a 50-inch HDTV with a surround-setup will yield better results, but I have neither the money nor the space for an additional media-consumption-tool.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
It'll happen sometime this year. Count on it. The remarks that it will never happen is just hyperbole. And those saying you won't see a big difference between blu ray and dvd on a laptop you only sit a foot or so away from are idiots that don't know what they're talking about.

Here's a comparison of an upconverted dvd on a 7 inch screen, versus a blu ray on a 7 inch screen.

It'll likely show up the iMac's before it does in the MBPs though. It's the customers with a 27 inch iMac that are drooling at the prospect of Blu Ray the most.

Apple can only stay behind technology for so long.

Yes, there will likely be a version of the MBP withouat any sort of disk drive what so ever. But it will never be the only version of the MBP.

There will always be a version of the MBP disk drive. Atleast for another five years.

Too many casual users install software like Microsoft Office, Photoshop and such software off a cd to do away with that option completely. In fact, I'm sure there's many important software that isn't even sold via digital distribution.

And Apple's customers are already demanding blu ray and Apple will give in soon enough. 100 gbs vs. 7 gbs of capacity, there isn't even a comparison.

It'll likely show up the iMac's before it does in the MBPs though. It's the customers with a 27 inch iMac that are drooling at the prospect of Blu Ray the most.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
I hope they make it an option with the next release. I don't have need for it, but understand those that do.

It does seem likely the Mac Mini is the first candidate since there is some talk of HDMI out on the new on there. Also FWIW, I've read here that the MBPs would need a redesign to fit the blu ray players since they're taller than the DVD super drives. That's no small change.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
I hope they make it an option with the next release. I don't have need for it, but understand those that do.

It does seem likely the Mac Mini is the first candidate since there is some talk of HDMI out on the new on there. Also FWIW, I've read here that the MBPs would need a redesign to fit the blu ray players since they're taller than the DVD super drives. That's no small change.
When it comes to BR, Apple's obsession with thinness is really starting to grate on me. At some point, I might like to stop admiring the laptop and start watching a movie, but... oh, I can't, they couldn't fit a BR-drive in there! But oh man, that laptop sure is thin!

Feb 16, 2010

Knowing Jobs, the only reason he might add an HDMI cable port to the Mac Mini is so that people can put one in their living room (instead of that god-awful Apple TV) for the purposes of watching Jobs' inferior-quality 720p iTunes movies.

Blu-Ray is in direct competition with iTunes, and Jobs is an anal retentive, moronic control-freak to boot. A perfect storm that says "no forever" to Blu-Ray. A pity, as it's currently the best video quality there is, at 1080p.

Jobs is so in love with his inferior quality iTunes that he's willing to shaft people for his own personal gain. Ah, the signs of a true businessman.

Blu-Ray isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but the best I'd hope for right now is either to demand Jobs' resignation, or else hope he puts an HDMI cable plug on the back of that beautiful 27" iMac, so you can directly hook up a blu-ray player and use the computer as a monitor.

oh, P.S.

And people wonder why I post Blu-Ray threads on here...

It seems now that almost every other week, there's some poor sap on here asking what the ETA for Blu-Ray drives is.

Take a look at these forums, Steve Jobs...
Losing more and more customers one by one, right and left for your precious inferior quality iTunes vs. Blu-Ray. Is it worth it to be such a control freak?

No matter, you tell yourself.
I still have all my mentally retarded Apple fanboys who will grovel at my feet, no matter how badly I screw up or how far off-base I go.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
When it comes to BR, Apple's obsession with thinness is really starting to grate on me. At some point, I might like to stop admiring the laptop and start watching a movie, but... oh, I can't, they couldn't fit a BR-drive in there! But oh man, that laptop sure is thin!
There are super thin blu ray drives that Apple can easily use.

The 3 Ib Sony Vaio Z is thinner than the Macbook Pro and still packs a blu ray burner along with a core i7 processor, a solid dedicated gpu, 8 gigs of ram and 1080p resolution in their 13 inch version while still getting a 6 hr to 10 hr battery life!!

a premium laptop that is actually worth the premium price. Because it actually innovates, something Apple it seems has forgotten how to do..

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http://chinese.engadget.com/2010/03/04/vaio-z-explained-by-project-leader/&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&swap=1

Sony Vaio Z
Design: Aluminium + Carbon Fiber Unibody
Weight: 3.07lbs
Screen: 13.1", 1920 x 1080 Resolution
CPU: Core i7-620M. 3.33GHz Turbo. 35W TDP. 4MB L2 Cache
RAM: 8GB DDR3
SDD: 512GB Solid State Harddrive (Configurable With Up to Four Solid State Raid 0 Drives)
Graphics: Nvidia 330M GT 1GB GDDR3 and Intel HD integrated - switchable
Battery: Sony: 6 Hours (8-10 hrs when used in the Stamina Mode)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Burner/DVD Burner/CD Burner
Other: x3 USB2.0, x1 HDMI Out, VGA Out, 802.11 a/b/g/n, GB Ethernet, 2.1 Bluetooth, webcam, mic, SD, Expresscard, Memstick