Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I just saw a commercial for the Zune and I noticed that it comes with a built in FM tuner and I immediately thought "I got an mp3 player to get away from the radio crap. I like only my music and I can't figure out why people looking to buy Zunes or iPods would want the radio on it.

</short rant>

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
"I got an mp3 player to get away from the radio crap"
Zoinks! Someone put a product on the market that has a feature that does nothing for you? Recall the whole lot, immediately. :eek: :D

Wonder if clevin will see this thread? I think he's rather fond of the idea of an iPod with built-in FM tuner.

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
I know, I'll go to Yahoo!, download the latest news items (without looking at their names), put them on my iPod, and watch them. This is how I will get my news from now on. The most efficient way to get the news.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Zoinks! Someone put a product on the market that has a feature that does nothing for you? Recall the whole lot, immediately. :eek: :D

Wonder if clevin will see this thread? I think he's rather fond of the idea of an iPod with built-in FM tuner.

you can buy FM tuners these days at a gas station for $5... I don't see what it can do for an iPod.

If the iPod could do XM radio or Sirius, I would go for that because the stations are diverse enough to be able to listen to what you like.

I just thought the point of an iPod is to have the freedom to listen to your own music and ad-free.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I know, I'll go to Yahoo!, download the latest news items (without looking at their names), put them on my iPod, and watch them. This is how I will get my news from now on. The most efficient way to get the news.

Ever heard of podcasts or televisions? You don't have an FM tuner anywhere? You ONLY have an iPod? I don't think I've ever met someone that didn't have methods of getting the news (not even having an iPod).

I just don't think iPods should have FM tuners... To me, FM is likethe floppy drive or standard def TV... It needs to phase out.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I totally agree with you what's the point of listening to music if you don't even like it? and besides News isn't that important watch it at home.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Having an FM tuner incorporated into your MP3 player means one less thing to carry with you if you want to listen to the radio.

That's what my post was about. Why would you WANT to listen to FM radio?

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
...I just thought the point of an iPod is to have the freedom to listen to your own music and ad-free.

While I personally have no desire to listen to FM apart from traffic alerts on my commute, there is certainly a large enough market of FM tuners for iPod that make it appear as though lots of folks want that feature.
If it were to be incorporated into the next rev, it wouldn't make me upgrade, but it wouldn't keep me from buying one, either.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
While I personally have no desire to listen to FM apart from traffic alerts on my commute, there is certainly a large enough market of FM tuners for iPod that make it appear as though lots of folks want that feature.
If it were to be incorporated into the next rev, it wouldn't make me upgrade, but it wouldn't keep me from buying one, either.

I agree. It would just be a feature I would not use at all.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I for one got an FM tuner for my iPod to listen to NPR and only NPR... Sure, they have some podcasts, but for some reason I just really enjoy listening to it "live".

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Choice is good, I don't always want to listen to my iTunes library. I would like to have internet radio on the iPod.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Choice is good, I don't always want to listen to my iTunes library. I would like to have internet radio on the iPod.

I'm talking about FM radio.. Not Internet radio or satellite (those, I wouldn't mind having). We need to move past analog and go ALL DIGITAL. FM is just annoying.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I'm talking about FM radio.. Not Internet radio or satellite (those, I wouldn't mind having). We need to move past analog and go ALL DIGITAL. FM is just annoying.
Some would argue otherwise. And there is digital radio if you look for it. I still like listening to the radio, maybe listen to some sports. Radio is free and that is a good thing.

Digital has its flaws, just because they say its better doesn't mean it is.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I just don't think iPods should have FM tuners... To me, FM is likethe floppy drive or standard def TV... It needs to phase out.
Nothing wrong with an FM tuner. Some prefer to listen to a radio station or program of choice.

Reference SD TV. Even though there is a push for HD TV, I would be that 10 years from now, some folks will be still using their SD sets. Not everyone needs HD to enjoy the news, TV shows and HBO type content.

That's what my post was about. Why would you WANT to listen to FM radio?
There might be a particular station or program that one wants to listen to that may not be available on the Internet, or the person wants to listen to the show live.

I for one got an FM tuner for my iPod to listen to NPR and only NPR... Sure, they have some podcasts, but for some reason I just really enjoy listening to it "live".
I hear ya.

Radio is free and that is a good thing.
Completely agree.

Plus sometimes it's enjoyable to listen to commercials once in a while.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I got the apple FM tuner for my iPod and it is great. I love to listen to the radio sometimes so the idea of incorporating it is fine IMHO. On the other hand the little device that clips on your clothes and acts as a remote ain't bad either.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.

So uh..., what about AM radio? Do you think that needs to be phased out?

I would like an FM tuner on the iPod. Those cheap radio's have horrible reception, plus they usually don't have AM. And radio that is half decent will not fit in your pocket.

I enjoy a lot of my local radio stations, and I'd rather not have to carry an iPod plus a bulky radio with me.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
In most cases, FM radio is full of crappy music stations with crappy DJ's, usually outsourced to some studio in North Dakota. What I want is an AM radio for my iPod so I can listen to NPR, local Talk Radio, 24hr News, and Business News.

TEG

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I use an FM adapter for my Nano at the gym - so I can listen to the televisions.

See... that's a really good idea. Thank you for pointing that out.

I guess my final thought on the matter is: I alone have no need or want for FM radio but, if Apple started including it in their iPod lineup, I wouldn't get upset, I would just choose not to use that function. I suppose everyone has their needs but, I see FM radio the same way I see the floppy disk drive... seems old fashioned and obsolete in the iPod/mp3/hidef world that is today.

GlennH

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2007
Let's see, there are good reasons for having an FM tuner, some of which have nothing to do with listening to music.

Example: My local NFL, MLB, NHL, and NCAA team's flagship broadcasts are all on FM. If I can't be home to watch a game I'd like to listen on the go without needing a separate radio. Downloading a podcast of it later (even if available) doesn't quite have the same effect, now does it?

Of course, at this point it would be nice to also have an HD radio tuner as well.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I like only my music and I can't figure out why people looking to buy Zunes or iPods would want the radio on it.

</short rant>

Sometimes, people enjoy music besides their music. They want to listen to other things, or just want to listen to a type of music that isn't on their iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.