Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
am I missing something here? I'm usually not using my phone when connected to a power source. Whats the point?

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
I think when your laying in Bed it's useful. I charge my phone next to my bed. So I can go

"Hey Siri, How's the weather"

and she will tell me.

All without getting up :D

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Also when docked on my desk while I'm working on the computer or somewhere else across the room. If I'm farther from my desk than I have the phone with me out of dock and I'd just use the home button to bring up Siri.

haticK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2011
New York
I think when your laying in Bed it's useful. I charge my phone next to my bed. So I can go

"Hey Siri, How's the weather"

and she will tell me.

All without getting up :D

if only siri could change channels. no more remoteeeee

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
I use it a lot to set alarms at night ("Hey Siri, wake me at 7:30") and to send text messages while driving ("Hey Siri, tell my wife that I stopped at the store to buy milk"). Sometimes I also use it to play music in the car.

In reality, I could use it for a lot more things.. But I just don't yet.

kipnosky

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
I also find it quite useless with that restriction. Hope Apple does something about it soon.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
does it work by sending all audio from the microphone to Apple? If so, it sounds like a large use of data. Or does it locally have some language recognition software?

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
London
Kinda disappointed too, wanted Siri to work Everywhere so I can shout hey Siri to find where I left the damn phone. Rather than iCloud.

Also to work while I'm in the bath with playing music.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014
am I missing something here? I'm usually not using my phone when connected to a power source. Whats the point?

Think about what the phone is doing. Not to creep anyone out, but its sitting there listening waiting to here a "Hey Siri". That's probably using more power/battery. So it needs to be plugged in.

How long before someone takes advantage of that to ease drop on someone :)

I plan use that in my car also, just wish I could have the lock screen set itself to never, turn the wifi off, and set "hey siri" to on when I am in my car automatically. Then have all my normal setting come back on when I get home.

SetHutBlue42

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
It always amazes me how many people want features that would absolutely crush their phone's battery life.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I also find it quite useless with that restriction. Hope Apple does something about it soon.

It is far from useless. There are several uses listed in this thread. Just because it isn't useful to you doesn't mean it isn't to others. You can't expect Apple to come up with features that are useful to everyone.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007

when you will grow up and you will buy a car you will understand. it's for hands free. goddamn people, when shazam releases "always listening" app for mac - "NO WAY, IT'S ALWAYS LISTENING WHAT YOU'RE DOING, PRIVACY PRIVACY PRIVACY". And then THIS.....

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
It always amazes me how many people want features that would absolutely crush their phone's battery life.

But with the crushing battery life, they would have a good excuse to then rant about how the iPhones are useless and don't last anything like the competition....:D

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Ah I don't have a lot of use for it, but sometimes it's nice when you're still in bed, your phone just slightly too far away to grab it in that sleep-drunk state and just going "Hey Siri, what's the weather like today?" or "What's the time"...

But I guess it's main purpose is for usage driving a car.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Cars. I plan on using this a LOT in my vehicle which I have my phone mounted on my windshield.

it's almost 2015....and apple pushes wireless this wireless that and they are creating a feature that only works while plugged in? that's ridiculous.

I never plug mine in while in the car unless it's low on battery. bluetooth all the way.

ryallen

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
well I used it yesterday while i was lying down to set an alarm and a reminder. It's actually pretty cool and works great.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

It's Android thinking.

"LET'S ADD MORE FEATURES WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT BATTERY LIFE!"

(later...)

"MY BATTERY LIFE SUCKS! TIME TO BUY A MASSIVE BATTERY AND NEW BACK COVER."

(waves brick-shaped phone around then puts it in cargo shorts pocket)

"IPHONES SUCK YOU CAN'T USE A BIGGER BATTERY!"

(walks around with obvious bulgy phone weighing down one side of their shorts)

"DAMNIT I NEED A BELT."

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
I've used this in the car today and when I say Hey Siri, it connects to my bluetooth of the car and i can dial, send a message or whatever without taking my hands off the wheel.

The only thing they seemed to have changed is it seems more sensitive and takes longer to do that beep that it's done listening and finding your answer.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
This actually might help me. After I plug in for the night, and I forget something or get a text, I can just yell at siri from across the room.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I didn't know that, and they could update that I would think. Odd that they chose to do that.

But really this may be very useful regardless, especially in the car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.