Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Here's one application: I imagine it will be possible to use it in navigation apps to estimate location in-between GPS readings, improving accuracy over just last-course-and-speed.

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's going to be AWESOME for pilots as a backup attitude indicator/EFIS display.

I'm not a gyro expert, but I think you'd quickly end up in a death spiral.

Inexpensive electronic gyros drift very rapidly. They're great for measuring short term changes (as in a game), but useless for your purpose.

I suppose someone could make it work for ten or twenty seconds by using additional info from the accelerometer and compass, but that's probably it.

Regards.

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
It's not really a mechanical gyro. Solid state electronics have supplanted the mechanical gyros of yesteryear (not an unusual evolution). But the term gyro is still used to describe today's modern, no moving parts, angular accelerometers.

The advantages are much smaller, much more reliable (fewer moving parts), much smaller and no precession - a winner all around. But traditionally this hardware has been expensive and has used complex laser courses, to get it down to consumer grade pricing as a secondary function to a PHONE is amazing!

To the latter bit, not really that amazing... it's not like they are using a scaled down ring laser gyro (such as you referred to with the expensive laser part)!

Cheap piezo gyro's (which I imagine is the type they are using) have been around for quite some time.... small cheap and yet very effective ones are easy to come by for R/C Helicopters. If they are using something like MEMS then that's more of an achievement cost wise but even those aren't particularly expensive these days.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
So much better than an accelerometer.

Attachments

• GYROS%20SANDWICH.jpg
    GYROS%20SANDWICH.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 48

Carnivor

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
this sums it up perfectly and is completely non related to iphones!!

The difference between gyroscope and accelerometer is that the former can sense rotation, the latter cannot. A 3 axis accelerometer has the ability to gauge the orientation of a stationary platform relative to the earth’s surface. If the platform happens to be in free fall, the acceleration will be shown to be zero. If it is only accelerating in a particular direction the acceleration will be indistinguishable from the acceleration being provided by the earth’s gravitational pull. So an accelerometer alone cannot be used to have an aircraft maintain a particular orientation.

A gyroscope on the other hand has the capability of measuring the rate of rotation around a particular axis. For instance if a gyroscope is used to gauge the rate of rotation around the roll axis of an aircraft, it will come up with a non zero roll value, so long as the aircraft continues to roll, but shows zero if the roll stops.

an excerpt from: http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-gyroscope-and-accelerometer/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.