What's the Point of the "Gyro"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by klamse25, Jun 7, 2010.

1. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

They say "It makes gaming better." But how would that work?

2. bundu macrumors member

3. sesnir macrumors 6502

It opens up options for future games.

Think of it like the Wii Motion Plus and what that accessory adds to the Wii.

4. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

A gyroscope gives greater accuracy than an accelerometer.

Basically we're looking at a Nintendo Wii controller with a touchscreen.

5. layziegtp macrumors regular

So the gyroscope covers pitch, roll, and yaw. The accelerometer covers vertical and horizontal movement.

Correct?

6. LoganT macrumors 68020

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yes and no. The accelerometers cover "tilt." Together you get the ultimate controller.

8. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

No thats not how it works, its like this. First you are gaming, then you go to the local Greek deli and get a Gyro then you go back to gaming only now that you have a Gyro its way better. Duh:rolleyes:

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You get more sensors of motion. In other words, the iPhone will know the nature of your/its movements.

10. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

The sandwich kind? :p

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm having a hard time wrapping my hand around the differences between the gyroscope and the accelerometer. I've used a lot of games and applications that use the accelerometer and I can't think of a limitation of the accelerometer that would be remedied by a gyroscope.

Does the gyroscope measure forward, backward, and sideways movements? While the accelerometer only measures tilt?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So apple is really is focused in turning this into more of a gaming platform then.

13. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

14. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Think of it this way:

Accelerometers only:

aircraft game: (coming in for landing)
    To turn left you just tilt the device. The program will then manipulate controls in game for rudder and ailerons(left/right tilt of AC).

Gyrp and Accelerometers:
    same game: (coming in for landing)
    You control the rudder by rotating the device on the x-axis. i.e. imagine the device sitting on it's side in landscape on a table, the table represents the x-axis. You simply rotate it to control your rudder. You can then tilt the device to add tilt to your wings to have greater control over your flight direction.

15. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Not so much, think of the virtual apps that could benefit from finer movement controls, more so than just the accelerometers or the compass. To start out with you will see games taking advantage of this tech, yes! Others will follow with non-games that take advantage of gyros.

16. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Discussion of this topic is making me hungry.

17. Jason Bourne macrumors member

It's going to be AWESOME for pilots as a backup attitude indicator/EFIS display. For reference, the FAA approved, all singing all dancing version of the iPhone's sensor package (called an ADHARS in aviation speak) costs somewhere between $10-250K. The $10K end of it is by recent upstarts who are "shaking things up" in aviation (Aspen Avionics). This will of course not compete with certified panel mount avionics but a $200 phone with a $100 program in your pocket that backs up your $100K avionics is a pretty sweet deal for any pilot. I can't wait to get mine.

18. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

A gyro?

So...there's going to be a motor constantly running inside this thing?

At least, that's how I remember it working on that old V2 we pulled apart to reverse engineer.

Anybody care to explain specifically how this gyroscope functions?

Also, it offers a MAJOR advantage over the accelerometer! It works in zero gravity!!

19. Jason Bourne macrumors member

It's not really a mechanical gyro. Solid state electronics have supplanted the mechanical gyros of yesteryear (not an unusual evolution). But the term gyro is still used to describe today's modern, no moving parts, angular accelerometers.

The advantages are much smaller, much more reliable (fewer moving parts), much smaller and no precession - a winner all around. But traditionally this hardware has been expensive and has used complex laser courses, to get it down to consumer grade pricing as a secondary function to a PHONE is amazing!

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

21. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

It was worth it to prove that you did NOT, in fact, ignore me as you said you had.

XD Epic Obliterating PWN!

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I guess I just have a little too much respect for people, as I'm always curious what they have to say. At least I'm not delusional enough to believe there would be a motor spinning in my iPhone. :p

However, I do regret reading anything you post, so hopefully this will be the last time I do.

23. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Too much respect to ignore somebody, but not enough to not say "hey, I'm ignoring you, ******."

XD

Oh, and if you took that part of the post seriously, then ask for pics of the V2 while you're at it.

XD XD XD

24. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

So they brought up the Gyro*....:cool:

*that's the nickname of the Android's Killer.