Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
An IPad is obviously cheaper than a Macbook Air, will do almost as much as a Macbook Air, certainly has a much longer battery life than a Macbook Air, and are more portable since they do not open up.
And, there is always the one intangible reason, they are just cool.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
EXACTLY WHICH situations/jobs/roles/uses does the iPad perform better than other devices?

and EXACTLY WHAT aspect/ability of the iPad makes it better at that job?

-Display-only device when handed to a customer during a demonstration. Its quite easy to put the iPad into Kiosk mode for this purpose and quite a bit more difficult to do on a laptop.
-Instant re-orientation between landscape and portrait modes, again very useful during demonstrations of perspectives for displaying visual content such as digital images, blueprints, etc. To do this with a laptop would require two different screen images and some form of user input to swap between the two.
-One handed operation, very useful in industries such as mine (construction trades) where you have absolutely no flat, level work surfaces to call a 'desk.' In fact, just about any type of non-typical workspace that you can imagine, a tablet is ergonomically superior to even the lightest laptop as you can hold it one handed and work with it using your finger or a stylus. Musicians, artists, training programs that require movement, capturing signatures for workflow, insurance claims adjusters (capture image/voice/signed documents in field), etc.

I could go on for several pages if you require it but the tone of your messages indicates to me that you have a very limited, narrow perspective about usability models and likely are only cognizant of those that apply directly to your own life.

You may as well ask why would anyone buy a FORD when a CHEVY can accomplish all the same tasks in a "better" way. You have introduced your own bias in your question, which is natural and for most people unavoidable. But in doing so, your ladder of inference has already reached an apex decision point where you believe that the iPad has no purpose that can't be "better" accomplished by a MBA or equivalent computing device. Therefore, your question can't be answered by another individual...you've already answered it for yourself in your own mind.

Last edited:

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Isn't your 12 inch notebook able to be used just as easily on the treadmill? If not, why not? And it seems like video podcasts while ironing would be better with the 12 inch because you can simply set it down on any surface and set the angle of the screen to whatever angle offers the best viewing.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Someone gives you an answer but you won't accept it. A 12-inch notebook and an iPad aren't the same device and don't have the same form factor. Just because a VW Beetle and a Ferrari can do the same basic things doesn't make them exactly the same. Nor should anyone have to explain to you the obvious differences between the two or why they chose one over the other.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
In the cockpit
On the nurses ward
At a job site reviewing PDF's
By a client advisor at a car dealership on the sales lot
in the kitchen by a chef
At a trade show signing people up or showing product

IN SHORT INFORMATION STANDING UP AND PASSING INFO AROUND...

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Prepare class notes in PowerPoint, convert them to PDF. Project the PDF on my iPad to a VGA projector in class. Using Notebility, I can hand write additional notes, equations, and work out the calculation with my class. The idea is like writing on white board with markers, except that with my iPad, I will automatically have a permanent record of everything I went over in class. Furthermore, I can easily incorporate photos and video, and access the Internet during class on my iPad. Finally with airserverapp, I may even be able to do all this wirelessly.

Yes, with adonit jot, you CAN write precisely and quickly.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Prepare class notes in PowerPoint, convert them to PDF. Project the PDF on my iPad to a VGA projector in class. Using Notebility, I can hand write additional notes, equations, and work out the calculation with my class. The idea is like writing on white board with markers, except that with my iPad, I will automatically have a permanent record of everything I went over in class. Furthermore, I can easily incorporate photos and video, and access the Internet during class on my iPad. Finally with airserverapp, I may even be able to do all this wirelessly.

Yes, with adonit jot, you CAN write precisely and quickly.

That's great probably even better if your students have an iPad and notability.

Sent from iPad

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Who cares? Obviously millions of people would not have wasted their money on such a device if they didn't like it.

I love my iPad for the convenience of it. It is a great device for media consumption. If I'm watching Netflix, I'd rather do it on my iPad. Also, it's quicker to turn on to quickly check e mail or check something on the Internet..... Plus my 6 and 2 year old can use theirs splendidly. I wouldn't put my laptop in front of my toddler nearly as often.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
OP lacks an understanding of basic human psychology, which is that we are driven by emotions and typically rationalize our decisions after the fact. Tons of research accumulated over the years on this phenomenon.

So one can come up with dozens of scenarios justifying the use of an iPad. But the underlying factor reasons are simple: it's incredibly easy to use and freaking gorgeous. That is to say that people have fun in a way that can't be replicated by either an ordinary laptop or a smartphone. Steve Jobs gave a great answer at D10 a couple of years ago. When asked why he thought the iPad was magical, he had a hard time articulating it, but ultimately described the iPad as an amalgamation of things that make the overall user experience an absolute pleasure. Bright, crisp screen, all day battery life, response UI and touchscreen, instant on, etc. It's all of these things that make the iPad fun to use and so people find ways to fit the iPad into their lives even if the same tasks could be done with another device. And that's what's enabled an extremely strong developer community to continue to churn out great apps and increase the functionality of a device which frankly speaking is a little handicapped out of the box.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I didn't read the posts but I never thought I would ever buy an iPad. I said it was a pointless device. Then I bought the iPad 3 this year and absolutely love it. I keep it next to my bed. Pull it out check the news, weather and email in the morning or before I go to bed. Its just a great quick pickup device. My mbp has not left my desk in my office since I bought the iPad 3 in March. I do use my mbp all day while I'm at work to play music and go on the web but after that all I use is my iPad. When I went on vacation I only took my iPad. Its just a great quick grab and go device. I'm a believer now. I can some it up in three words. It just works...

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
the point of it is a portable device with long battery life for media consumption.

if you don't commute via train/bus, you'll find it less useful.
if you don't use the web a lot while sitting in a couch, you'll find it less useful.
if you don't subscribe to e-publications, you'll find it less useful.

if yuo do all of those things though, it's great.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
Surprised no one stated the MOST obvious answer:

You get to walk around looking like a hipster douche when you walk into Starbucks with your iPad. :)

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I appreciate the input, but that doesn't answer my question. The question is:

EXACTLY WHICH situations/jobs/roles/uses does the iPad perform better than other devices?

and EXACTLY WHAT aspect/ability of the iPad makes it better at that job?

Being a sometimes MOTU guy myself, did you know that you can buy apps that emulate the Mackie HUI protocol, multitouch faders to control Digital Performer for under $10.

Have you checked out some of the Korg or Moog software that emulates 90% of the hardware for 5% of the hardware price?

Have you checked out any of the sight reading or ear training apps?

While the iPad isn't for everyone, I know more and more people attracted to the platform. Some music teachers are using garageband on the iPad when giving guitar lessons, while others are using it to replace songbooks in in piano lessons.

In my experience, many of the things music teachers said that they would someday incorporate in their lessons, they are finally doing now with the iPad.

Search YouTube to see how musicians are using the iPad. The Korg MS-20 videos are pretty good but remember that Korg is probably limiting the so it won't hurt hardware sales.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
You're clearly not a New Yorker. =P

As someone who spends 2:30 hrs ever single day, usually standing, on the subway; it's a great device to carry around and use with one hand. The touchscreen is the main difference between laptops and the iPad. I can read my books and flip pages with one hand, while holding the pole with my other hand. No way you can do that on a laptop. If the subway wasn't enough, I have to walk a lot after that, it's much more sensible to carry a tablet, than walk around blocks with a laptop, regardless of what type of laptop it is. If you don't think it's not sensible, that's your biased opinion. But it is sensible to me and many others, and this is my opinion. And I ask you to go around town, riding busy subways, standing up on the train/walking, with a laptop before you think it's not a viable reason.

The weight does not seem to be an issue to you..you ask questions to others..then you say it's not valid reason cause it's not valid to you..But you'll be surprised how much the weight difference really is for some people. Don't tell me "Oh but that's not the majority of the users"..What do you know about the majority of the users, if you're here asking for how we use our products?
Disability is a big reason that you are belittling. And the way you are replying to that is very rude.

It's fine you ask why people use it over laptops, but respect other's opinion.

motulist said:
The macbook air starts at $999, the iPad starts at $399. It's a significant price difference, but it's not a 3rd. And if price is a big factor in your purchase plan then you should just get a cheap knockoff device. i.e., price isn't really a large factor in what would make the iPad better than a laptop.

If anything, and excuse me for this I really don't like using the word but, that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Why on earth would you EVER buy a cheap knockoff device? Why? Just why? What makes you say such a thing? And why does it annoy you so much that some people don't have the luxury to spend $600 more for a device? Infact, why should they if what they can achieve something for $600 less? Not everyone needs a laptop.

Like it or not, not everyone around the world can afford to spend money on laptops. A friend of mine uses iPad for all his classes, and that fit's him perfectly. He just needs Pages, Numbers and Keynote. That's all he needs on his day-to-day life. Therefore, since he is on a budget already, and since he can do what he needs to with a device that costs less, price is a factor that makes the iPad better than a laptop for some.

Relax. You asked for opinions on why people find iPad better than a laptop. People have been telling you. Don't be rude to anyone, everyone has their reasons and no one here is inclined to answer to you, yet they are here sharing their view points and you're behaving rudely.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
OP, your questions may SEEM like questions because they have a question mark. But they are really just disguised conclusions you came up with about the iPad. No argument is going to convince you because you will instantly come up with an counter argument because your mind is already made up.

You are not asking a question and seeking an answer. You are just defending your answer.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I came tp the conclusion that the ipad is/was made for lazy people :) really since i got my mine last year i spend most of the time in bed with it lol

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Just one example:

I am working in the scientific field and regularly attending congresses.
My iPad is always with me.
A possible situation looks like this:

Scientific lecture session -> interesting talk -> various papers are cited -> realizing that this might be interesting for the paper I am working on -> take iPad out of bag -> open cover -> switch it on -> access PubMed (via the app)
-> search for interesting cited paper -> open it in Safari -> download PDF into GoodReader -> push PDF into Dropbox scientific paper folder -> BOOM: it is available for further reference on my MacBook (in the hotel room) or iMac (at home), whenever I resume working on my paper -> resume watching the lecture.

The whole process takes about two minutes and I am done.

Could I have brought my MacBook?
Sure! Pretty machine!

But: it is heavier, it has longer start-up times, the process of finding the paper and pushing it to Dropbox takes longer and it is simply not as portable as the iPad.

When you are up and around a lot, the iPad is just the perfect "on-the-go" machine. It is ultra-portable, it's quickly and easily accessible and it offers you speedy access to all the information you want in almost any situation you find yourself in.

In my opinion, not even the MacBook Air can provide that.
And that is why I have my iPad with me basically all of the time.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I use mine daily to email, browse web, read books, task management, video chat, play games, connect to company sales reports and databases, keynote presentations, view videos, create sketches, etc.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

You get to walk around looking like a hipster douche when you walk into Starbucks with your iPad. :)

Stupid comment. Broaden your horizons a little.

iPad is better than a laptop at the gym (bike, elliptical, treadmill, etc). In fact, a laptop is literally useless in that setting as it cannot be balanced on the machine's lip/ledge.

iPad is a better e-reader because it's easier to hold in one hand.

iPad is better on long flights because the battery lasts much longer. (also: iPad does not have to come put of your bag at security. :))

iPad can connect to cell networks.

iPad can do many of the same things as a laptop at a much cheaper price point.

There are many more, but that's more than enough for me. But as someone else said, I'm not sure you're really asking a question here - seems more like you have an opinion and want to argue with people.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
No, I'm really not. I'm asking a REALLY simple, basic question. Presumably the vast majority of people who buy iPads are able bodied people who already have another portable computing device in their life. This is just pure statistics - most people aren't disabled, and most people own a computer, and laptops make up the large majority of computers that are sold to consumers.

So I'm asking a super simple question: Exactly what is the iPad better at doing, and exactly what aspect of the iPad makes it better at doing that?

With all due respect you're asking a question that is almost impossible to answer without talking about personal preference. Let me give you an example:

In every measurable way my 11" MBA is a better machine for creative writing than my iPad. The physical keyboard is better suited to the task, the trackpad means I don't have to keep pawing (and cleaning) the screen, the tools are more mature and feature rich, everything. And yet, when I'm trying to get to the heart of a story I FAR prefer using my iPad. Why? Because the distractions go away, you're just left with, basically, a blank sheet of paper and can let the story flow. Even better I can actually put the screen away out of sight and just type on a bluetooth keyboard if I want.

Now by your criteria I should just use the MBA because there's no way in the question you're asking to allow for personal preference and non-measurable criteria. Ultimately those criteria are actually at the heart of many people's use of iPad's (and other touch devices). Touch devices can connect you to what you're doing in a way that feels much more natural than a mouse / keyboard combo and to many that's more important than the last % of productivity.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

Man, once the moms and dads started doing that it was no longer a valid hipster accessory. Nothing ruins hipster douche cred more than displaying the same thing as the 50 year old sitting next to you.

Not that any hipster would be caught dead in Starbucks, just saying'...

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
The OP is thinking too narrowly.the iPad is not about excelling at a particular program or process, it's about options, convenience, flexibility. I personally hate laptops; clumsy form factor for mobile use, less battery, more expensive, more complicated data plan implementation and setup.
For me, no laptop can match these iPad features.

If you need to have a machine that is the best at a particular program or use, I guess you should buy a supercomputer from IBM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.