What's the real upgrade policy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Drag'nGT, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I'm seeing mixed results when you talk to people about their iPhone upgrades. With more people and carriers in the mix now I'm curious what the real upgrade policy is now.

In the past, when the next iPhone was available, current iPhone owners with less than 18 months of service on their contract were given a full discount to upgrade to the latest iPhone. I'm not sure this is true but I read this with people upgrading from the 3G to the 3GS and then to the i4. Did this policy start and apply to only the people who owned the original iPhone?

So what's the deal? Do the iPhone faithful get to upgrade every year to the latest iPhone even when it's under the 18 month minimum? If you've been able to do it then how? And I don't mean the early upgrade where you pay more money. I'm talking about the full discount price.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you pay $100+ on a line, that line gets an upgrade every year.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Their is no official policy and the terms change every year.

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Prepaid; lower monthly carrier fees in general for many people, buy the phone at full price, upgrade whenever the hell you want. I feel so good not being under a contract.