What's this 'jailbreak'?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Gen, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

[​IMG]

Maybe it's time for me to jailbreak, that's so badass!
    How do I get that on my phone?

2. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Not sure exactly what that is, but it's similar to LockInfo.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You really should try reading the Sticky threads. They will explain what jailbreaking is.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you need to do alot of research before attempting it.
    That pic is not a "jailbreak". its an item that can be installed like many others after the phone has been jailbroken.

5. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

Can I import my current apps/settings/sms messages and such into my iphone once its jailbroken?

6. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

How would I do that?
    I just downloaded the pwnagetool - and I need the 3.1.2 file?

Once I jailbreak it, can I just plug it into iTunes and hit - restore from backup, or whatever it's called? ...

7. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

There are a couple tutorials on this, but for us to help we'll need to know if you have a 3G or 3Gs.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

We also need your phone's serial number.

9. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

10. Sparkletoes macrumors newbie

O cripes, please, no. Dear oh dear oh dear. Any more personal info you care to share with us? Firmware version and baseband will do....

11. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

^ I would strongly advise you to remove those numbers (immediately) except for the 3rd and 4th from the left so basically copy and paste the following: XX84XXXXXXX

also if you can just go to Settings icon on your home page, click on it then hit "General" then "About" scroll down a little

and please write down the "Version" number and "Modem Firmware" number

so bascially post all of the info at once ..ie:

Iphone 3g

Serial: XX84XXXXXX
    Version: 3.... (whatever)
    Modem Firmware: 05.11.07 (or....whatever)

Click here for a screen shot to help you determine what to look for, DO NOT!! put up your screen shot unless you can censor the numbers like they are censored in this one.

once you provide those information, the good folks here will recommend the best methods for you to jailbreak your phone. Granted your iPhone is NOT officially updated through iTunes to the latest 3.1.3 "Version" and 5.12.01 "Modem Firmware"

Good luck

12. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

Why? Not like anyone can do anything with that info ...
    right?

edit: kk

13. RangerXML macrumors regular

Once you jailbreak, you'll never look back. Even the simplest thing like SBSettings makes life soo much easier. Though I'm a little torn with OS 4.0 and hope it is j/b A.S.A.P.

LOL, you have no idea how much damage someone can do with just a few numbers. Information is power!

Norman: Security, Norman speaking.

Date: Norman, this is Eddie Better from accounting. I just had a power surge that wiped out a file I was working on...Listen, I'm in big trouble, do you know anything about computers?

Norman: Ah...gee.

Date: Right, well my B.L.T. drive on my computer just went A.W.O.L., and ah, I got this big project due tomorrow for Mr. Kawasaki and if I don't get it in he is gonna ask me to commit Harikari.

Norman: Ah...*coughs*

Date: Yeah well you know those Japanese management types. Could you read me the number on the modem?

Norman: Ah?!?

Date: That's a little boxie thing, Norm, with switches on it, lets my computer talk to the one there.

Norman: (212) 555-4240

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Ahh.... that's better.

Great reference by the way!

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

Lol

Guy who doesn't know even what JB is tells everybody what we can and can't do with his info. Dude seriously do yourself a favor and do lots of reading! Most people are honest but there are dishonest people here as well. I would edit your serial number but it's your call!

17. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

A little advice: research the web and this forum and learn how to Jailbreak without asking "so, I just do X and then I'm done?"

I'm not telling you this to be an ass but to let you know that you will be MUCH better off learning it the "hard" way. It took me a few days of research before I took the plunge and it helped me avoid posting "help I've bricked my phone!" and "I'm stuck, now what???"

As you research you learn about pitfalls, mistakes that others have made that you can avoid, and you learn the whole process. This helps you have a nice straightforward jailbreak.

Mixed Martial Arts fighting looks cool to me too but I'm not just gonna ask "how do you do that? and then step into the ring 10 minutes later.

Knowledge is power! Good luck!

18. OceanView macrumors 65816

19. RangerXML macrumors regular

Thanx, I was trying to decide which spelling it was. That movie never leaves my iPhone, never know when I need a good laugh.

20. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

since I clicked on this link earlier today, I've been listening to the song over and over at work :p

Such a good tune, and a great album and band. :cool:

21. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

Right ... so back to me. I got the pwnage tool, do I just download that 3.1.2 firmware & 05.11.07 baseband file?

22. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

23. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

Spoon fed?
    I just asked if that's the right file I download - how's that being spoon fed?