What's using up my cpu?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Luis Ortega, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I have noticed a sluggishness with my 2008 2.8/8-core mac pro that has 16 gb ram and a gtx 285 video card. The boot drive is a 7200 rpm 1 TB hard drive only 1/3 full, and it's running the latest snow leopard version.

When I shut it down, it is taking longer to turn completely off.

I have istat menus, and today I noticed that the cpu usage was continually spiking different cores, and the other cores were also showing a good amount of activity even though I was doing nothing and the computer was simply on and at the desktop.

I started activity monitor to check cpu usage and found that a process called coreservicesd, with root as the user, was continually at 98-100% cpu usage.
    The next service on the list in terms of cpu usage is the PenTablet Driver, with me as the user, and that was continually using about 30% cpu.
    Below that, there were a few processes (Dock and WindowServer) running that only used 1 to 10% cpu, and then a lot of others that used 0% cpu.

Before, I did not see the cpu usage do this when the computer was simply idling at the desktop with nothing running.

Can anyone please advise about what may be going on and what I could do about it?
    Could the computer be infected?
    I have nothing listed in my log-in items except for the Dropbox application.
    I am not doing anything in the background that I am aware of.

Thanks for any advice.