whats why wont my ipod respond

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by supersean, Feb 20, 2011.

1. supersean macrumors member

so a few months back my ipod fell and broke everywhere on the screen is mostly cracked i will get a pic later when i try to use it its unresponsive it wont do anything is it because its cracked? im going to replace the screen soon and i want to know if its just the screen thats making the problem so any help is appreciated :D

2. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

I'm saying probably you hit something to make it go unresponsive.
    The screen has probably nothing to do with it.

I'm not expert on apple devices, but my mom's phone has had the glass crack and the glass in my phone has cracked before; and the screens still worked.

So I'm just saying; with my non apple devices the screen has worked fine with the glass cracked.

Also, if you have a 4G ipod, the LCD display screen is laminated to the glass. Just so you know. An LCD screen is expensive to replace, but if you have a 3Gen iPod or lower, the LCD isn't "stuck" to the glass.

3. supersean thread starter macrumors member

it a 2g and it hit the floor and the screen is just broken everywhere and if it isnt the screen do i have to replace the lcd then?

4. supersean thread starter macrumors member

i think i just figured it out when i dropped my ipod the strip for the digitizer came off or undone al ittle making it unresponsive and if this happened will the home button still work

5. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

This happened to a friend of mine fairly recently. He required a full screen replacement, as the touch-sensitivity of the screen was physically broken by the shatter damage. The buttons worked for him, as did syncing, but the damage to his touchscreen was irreversible.

For you, I'd recommend talking to an Apple Rep at an Apple Store. They'll be able to advise you in person much better than we can over the web. After that, you'll know what to do, and then maybe we at the forums can work on where to get it done.

6. supersean thread starter macrumors member

what do you mean full screen replacement you mean he had to change the lcd to or just the screen? or both

7. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Both were damaged by the fall; the glass broke inward causing the LCD panel to actually rupture and break. That was probably a rare case though.

8. supersean thread starter macrumors member

so its a tiny chance thats the problem? and how can i open the ipod and see if its the lcd since i dont have the right tools so what can i use?

9. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

It's a chance. I haven't seen the damage itself.

I'm not the right person to ask about what to open it with, but I believe you need a spudger and a small screwdriver and possibly a suction tool if the screen's glass is mostly intact. Again though, I don't know about this sort of thing.

10. supersean, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

supersean thread starter macrumors member

11. supersean thread starter macrumors member

12. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

Try one of those online sites that fixes thongs like this.

13. supersean, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

supersean thread starter macrumors member

my dad doesnt want to spend 50 or more dollars to do it when we can do it for less

14. supersean thread starter macrumors member

15. supersean thread starter macrumors member

16. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I can't understand your writing. Money would be better spent on remedial English. :eek:

17. supersean thread starter macrumors member

dude i do good on my writing thats just how i right i dont care about what you have to say about my grammar i want answers on how to fix my ipod

18. Annerz macrumors regular

Well even if you fix the screen, it's possible it might still not work. How much is that gonna cost? You might be better off buying an old iPod off eBay..

19. theconverseguy macrumors newbie

theconverseguy

i've known a few people who experienced this, but the screen is usually responsive even if it is broken. it could be that you damaged some of the other components when you broke the screen. i would read through a tutorial such as http://www.brighthub.com/mobile/iphone/articles/83072.aspx if you feel comfortable working on it yourself. otherwise, you may still be able to get some money selling it "as is" for parts on ebay and use it towards a new ipod.

20. supersean thread starter macrumors member

21. supersean thread starter macrumors member

22. supersean thread starter macrumors member

23. supersean thread starter macrumors member

24. nukem170 macrumors member

Cant really help you without looking at it. Screen sensitivity probably has nothing to do with broken screen. Chances are the fall damaged the connections between the screen and the logic board. And for your sake I hope it's not the logic board thats cracked or anything and just the connections. You can get someone to fix it for you (unofficially) but they will charge you crazy money for it and will not be worth it. Taking it to an apple store would probably be the same as in will cost you more than $100. The best thing to do is to open up and try to fix it yourself. Google for tutorials on how to open it and check all the connections inside first. Take off the connections and put the back to make sure they aren't coming loose. Also inspect the logic board to make sure theres no cracks or anything. But if you never opened it up b4 check out some tutorials and some youtube videos on how this can be done and be very careful. You can replace the cracked touch panel for pretty cheap (less than $20 or so if you do it yourself). But you just have to make sure it's not something else thats the issue.

PS: Opening will void the warranty. If the fall damage hasn't voided it already. So just check that first.

25. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

It's a 2G. The warranty period is probably long passed.