Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Wow - wish I had known this. I had four activations last month with AT&T, and one of those was the XS Max I returned.

So if I’m doing this on IUP, can I do the same thing? I haven’t ever seen that screen or gotten that option. Is it only if you pay full price up front?

I tried this method on the IUP with AT&T, and it didn’t work for me. I put in my old sim before turning on the device for the first time, and it activated normally, so I thought I was in the clear. I saw no upgrade fee on my account activity for approximately 10 days; however, when my bill printed, the fee was applied. I called AT&T, but they wouldn’t relent, so I returned the phone to Apple and bought another sim free. I called AT&T again, and I told them that I had returned the IUP phone, and they then removed the upgrade fee.

On the sim free phones, I’ve never had an upgrade fee.

Reactions: Wags

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I tried this method on the IUP with AT&T, and it didn’t work for me. I put in my old sim before turning on the device for the first time, and it activated normally, so I thought I was in the clear. I saw no upgrade fee on my account activity for approximately 10 days; however, when my bill printed, the fee was applied. I called AT&T, but they wouldn’t relent, so I returned the phone to Apple and bought another sim free. I called AT&T again, and I told them that I had returned the IUP phone, and they then removed the upgrade fee.

On the sim free phones, I’ve never had an upgrade fee.
Pretty much Apple helps them with fee. They report all carrier purchased phones so they are attached to carrier and know the IMEI.

Reactions: Pipper99

stafil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
Come on - It’s not extortion. No one is forcing you to pay the fee. I get it, it’s annoying, but it’s not extortion. That fee is disclosed before you pay it. Therefore, if you don’t want to pay it, don’t upgrade. It’s that simple.

How would you feel if your cable company would charge you $30 every time you upgraded your TV? Or Walmart every time you upgraded your fridge? Or your electricity company every time you bought anything that needs power to operate? Or your internet provider every time you buy a new computer, tablet or anything that uses WiFi. Would you just “not upgrade”?

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
How would you feel if your cable company would charge you $30 every time you upgraded your TV? Or Walmart every time you upgraded your fridge? Or your electricity company every time you bought anything that needs power to operate? Or your internet provider every time you buy a new computer, tablet or anything that uses WiFi. Would you just “not upgrade”?

I would have the choice not to upgrade, just as you do. They are in business to make money in as many ways as they can. It’s not unusual. Again don’t like it, take your business elsewhere.
[doublepost=1540160543][/doublepost]
That's not the point. The point is that the carriers are foisting these bogus fees on the public because they can. And apart from most of the users here (and other tech forums), people just pay them without challenging the purpose of the fee. It is nothing more than a money grab by the providers.

It's not unlike how the airlines started charging for checked luggage... they said it was because of the high cost of fuel... but oil prices are down, and the fees remain... and airlines are making big bank now on checked luggage fees, because they can.

This is the same issue.

The point is you don’t have to do business with those companies then. It sucks, I get it, but so does the constant bitching I see everywhere online about things that don’t matter. Really a whole thread about $30? I’m really reading it and commenting on it? I need to get a life.

Reactions: OTACORB

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I would have the choice not to upgrade, just as you do. They are in business to make money in as many ways as they can. It’s not unusual. Again don’t like it, take your business elsewhere.
[doublepost=1540160543][/doublepost]

The point is you don’t have to do business with those companies then. It sucks, I get it, but so does the constant bitching I see everywhere online about things that don’t matter. Really a whole thread about $30? I’m really reading it and commenting on it? I need to get a life.

If $30 is really nothing to you, please send it to me.

Reactions: jtrue28 and stafil

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I just hate extra fees on everything. Just figure out how much you need to charge people to stay in business and make a profit and charge me that. Rather have the slightly hire price right off the bat than you read the fine print and there are fees for this and that. Put the taxes and fees all in the price and get it over with. Its like pricing something $999. Yeah, I'm stupid so now I think I'm not paying a grand for something....

Reactions: ActionableMango

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I called AT&T today to get my activation fees waived for our two new iPhones and they wouldn't do it. So annoyed w/their non-existent service where I work, I'm tempted to switch to T-Mobile.

Reactions: ray737 and stafil

jtrue28

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Lexington, KY
I called AT&T today to get my activation fees waived for our two new iPhones and they wouldn't do it. So annoyed w/their non-existent service where I work, I'm tempted to switch to T-Mobile.

Call back and get a different person. Went through the same song and dance.

sslade6752

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
Unfortunately T-Mobile’s service is very unreliable in my area.
Good thing your on WiFi your AT&T signal looks poor. Probaly that’s what’s affecting T-Mobile signal.
[doublepost=1540251825][/doublepost]I worked at AT&T’s DSL for a bit until I got fired for my 5 day surgery hospital stay violated attandence policy. When I had customers complain about dsl modem fees or other charges we always sent them to a retention dept where they got incentives to stay with AT&T like free modems or a month of service. If they still do this call customer support and say you are so upset about the 30 fee you are thinking about switching service to another provider

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
I just hate extra fees on everything. Just figure out how much you need to charge people to stay in business and make a profit and charge me that. Rather have the slightly hire price right off the bat than you read the fine print and there are fees for this and that. Put the taxes and fees all in the price and get it over with. Its like pricing something $999. Yeah, I'm stupid so now I think I'm not paying a grand for something....

Even if the price is the same in the end, they know more people will buy something if the price is “arranged” a certain way.

With that said, there are carriers who have taxes and fees included and minimal to no upgrade fees (or easy ways around them). T-Mobile, Cricket, and lots of other prepaids.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
That’s precisely the crap that drove me away from the major carriers. I’m on Total Wireless. I pay for service (talk text and data) and that’s it.

If I want a new phone, I buy one and they couldn’t care less. Business as usual.
Do you get HD Voice and WiFi calling with it tho?

sallenthornton

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
The 30.00 charge annoys me. I had success getting it waived a few years ago. I didn’t know about the SIM card swap bypassing the charge until reading the comments. Thanks!

Reactions: brgjoe and OTACORB

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
I left Verizon for this reason. ATT rep agreed to waive it, if I buy the phone from ATT, which means *locked*. Looks like I will have to leave ATT too. Shame on Apple for not offering a carrier-free version.
ATT waived the fee for my XS Max as a one time thing, never have issues with ATT & DIRECTV, same as Apple support and Nintendo Support.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
The 30.00 charge annoys me. I had success getting it waived a few years ago. I didn’t know about the SIM card swap bypassing the charge until reading the comments. Thanks!

Just so you know it can be hit or miss. What I have always done is just not power on the new phone with the new sim. Just immediately remove that new sim and then put your old nano-sim in and power it up. It will go through an activation like usual, but as I understand it because that sim was already active the system doesn't charge you. Please understand some have said it didn't work for them. But if that is the case then you can call and ask them to waive it. If you call once and they say no, call back again. :)

ATT waived the fee for my XS Max as a one time thing, never have issues with ATT & DIRECTV, same as Apple support and Nintendo Support.

Yeah, they will generally and of course it all depends on the Rep you get. But I've always had good customer service with AT&T and I also use DirecTV Now for streaming. Glad you were able to get your fee waive. Enjoy your new phone!

Reactions: JUCJ85

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Just so you know it can be hit or miss. What I have always done is just not power on the new phone with the new sim. Just immediately remove that new sim and then put your old nano-sim in and power it up. It will go through an activation like usual, but as I understand it because that sim was already active the system doesn't charge you. Please understand some have said it didn't work for them. But if that is the case then you can call and ask them to waive it. If you call once and they say no, call back again. :)

Yeah, they will generally and of course it all depends on the Rep you get. But I've always had good customer service with AT&T and I also use DirecTV Now for streaming. Glad you were able to get your fee waive. Enjoy your new phone!
Nice I've heard good things about DirecTV Now, I've had regular DTV since 2006, love them, great CS, they're accommodating. Plus NFL ST is a must as a 49ers fan in NY.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
What is it about cell carriers and ISPs/cable companies that they just love to screw people? You know that these execs are just laughing their way to the bank

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Nice I've heard good things about DirecTV Now, I've had regular DTV since 2006, love them, great CS, they're accommodating. Plus NFL ST is a must as a 49ers fan in NY.

That is the one thing with DirecTV Now is that they don't offer any kind of NFL package. They do have the NFL channel included in the most all the packages, but no NFL Redzone. I have a feeling as they renew their contacts with NFL they will figure out a way to get this added. I do love DirecTV now and I've been a subscriber since day one. So, I have the 100 plus channel package for $40. Big New Orleans Saint's fan. My father was from San Francisco and he always loved the 49er's.

What is it about cell carriers and ISPs/cable companies that they just love to screw people? You know that these execs are just laughing their way to the bank

Greed... just like most of these big corporations now.. they are just down right greedy. These guys take advantage every way possible. I get it though if I was running the show and making the big bucks like these CEO's, CFO's. I would probably be doing the same. But the sad part is that it's just getting worse.

Reactions: JUCJ85

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
That is the one thing with DirecTV Now is that they don't offer any kind of NFL package. They do have the NFL channel included in the most all the packages, but no NFL Redzone. I have a feeling as they renew their contacts with NFL they will figure out a way to get this added. I do love DirecTV now and I've been a subscriber since day one. So, I have the 100 plus channel package for $40. Big New Orleans Saint's fan. My father was from San Francisco and he always loved the 49er's.

Greed... just like most of these big corporations now.. they are just down right greedy. These guys take advantage every way possible. I get it though if I was running the show and making the big bucks like these CEO's, CFO's. I would probably be doing the same. But the sad part is that it's just getting worse.
You’re right about it being greed, but they need to at least figure out a creative way to be greedy that somewhat disguises it (like, I dunno, Apple). These companies just seem to be overtly terrible and don’t really care about what you think of them because there are few alternatives.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
You’re right about it being greed, but they need to at least figure out a creative way to be greedy that somewhat disguises it (like, I dunno, Apple). These companies just seem to be overtly terrible and don’t really care about what you think of them because there are few alternatives.

Amen to that! But the fact is there is no shame in their game these days! Look at all these companies and what the top tier management team makes in comparison to the laborers. Even on these larger companies that are in the brink of failure, these CEO and CFO's make sure they get theirs off the top. I agree with you it seems like they could try to make it not so obvious, but they honestly don't care. In the US we get terrible service, pricing and coverage compared to many other countries and carriers in those countries.
[doublepost=1540352601][/doublepost]
I use Verizon and my last 3 phones were bought without SIMs. I just pop the old one into the new phone and turn it on. I never paid a fee.

Same for me except with AT&T! Glad it has continued to work for you. Like I always say... nothing gambling nothing gained. So, it's always worth the shot! :)

Reactions: Tapiture

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011

Yeah I can see them adding the ST to DTV Now at some point, once it really takes off. Love my 49ers, whether good or bad(which they are). Die Hard 49ers fan.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
If you buy it at the store, instead of pre-ordering, and pay in full, do they still nail you for this fee?

When I bought my iPhone X, I preordered with apple pay through the apple store app. Ordered a AT&T model paid in full and never was charged a 30 dollar fee on my next bill or there after.

To be honest I thought it was coming, but never did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.