What's with Verizon and SIM"s, MY STORY

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cfs, Apr 15, 2012.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hi Forum,

So I went to the mall today to grab and iPad LTE at the Apple store and was still in a debate which provider to get because both are strong in my area.

I finally decided that I would decide based on the answer to a question at the Verizon store and AT&T store that were also located at the mall. I said to both agents at stores, "I bought your model iPad and I lost my SIM. What do I need to do to get another?"

Verizon said that if I bring my iPad in that they will give me one but SIM's are very expensive so in the furture I will need to purchase one.

AT&T said no problem and gave me a SIM. I asked if I had to pay and he said of course not, they are only a few bucks anyway. Not a big deal.

I then told the AT&T rep. what I was actually doing and offered to give him the SIM back. I told him I would have bought an iPad right there but I had an Apple gift card. He said if I'm going to the Apple store to buy the iPad then to just keep it.

Needless to say, I was sold and decided on AT&T. Now only if Apple had the color I wanted.

2. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Cool story, bro.

3. brand, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

brand macrumors 601

brand

You based your purchasing decision on a lie you told about you losing the SIM card? Why shouldn't you have to buy a replacement, according to your lie you are the one that lost it, not the carrier?

4. cfs, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh please. Come on.

I was trying to find out an answer to a simple question if I was stuck in this situation which is likely if I don't use a verizon sim for 5 months. Fact is that at&t was helpful and verizon was less helpful than at&t. I could care less about paying a few bucks for a SIM but they are not expensive by any means as verizon mentioned. Considering that I would be dealing with one of these branches in the future I decided at&t. Not sure why this was such a terrible factor in deciding considering they both have strong LTE in my area.

Lastly, I'm not saying all verizon stores are like this hence, MY STORY

5. SBA macrumors member

Your iPad should have the sim card pre-installed when you buy it, so there shouldn't be any need to go to either the Verizon or AT&T store.

Unless you plan on removing and losing the sim card, thus needing the replacement, then by all means feel free to rely on your small sampling of Verizon and AT&T stores, and not actual carrier performance.

6. sekazi macrumors 6502

With Verizon if it is left inactive too long it is disabled. So you have to go to Verizon and get another card. They will charge you for that card.

AT&T sim cards as far as I have used them never get disabled. You can create an account and delete that account all you want and that Sim will work. You can walk into a store and get a sim for free.

As for iPad I ended up with a Verizon iPad just for the fact that it offers more connection possibilities if I am stuck somewhere without AT&T which has happened before.

7. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

I travel overseas so I do plan on removing. As for losing, it is never a plan but always a possibility. Regarding carrier performance, as I mentioned where I live they are both very strong.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yes, the manner in which Verizon is handling their prepaid accounts and sim cards is definitely a turn off. I hope they become a little more customer service oriented on this issue. Deactivating pre-paid sims after 5 months is ridiculous. Many people are seasonal in their use of cellular data.

9. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

picking a carrier shouldn't be decided just bc of the carrier performance. Customer service is a bigger factor for me at least. When I got my mifi on verizon....it was a pain in the arse to get setup and i continually had problems that they could never figure out. I went to a few stores and they told me i couldn't use my corporate discount on mifi data plan and finally found one store that knew what they were talking about. I'm sure same goes with AT&T...but by him doing a random sample it's easy to figure out which one to go with if you are basing it off of customer service.