What's wrong with IOS 6 and the interface in the first place?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iNotion, Sep 21, 2014.

1. iNotion macrumors regular

iNotion

Anyone miss Scott Forstall?
    excluding the Apple maps, I think it's so much better than iOS 7 and 8 combined.
    Can Apple please bring Scott Forstall back?
    I used to say Apple products is all about the software, not the hardware... Can't say it now, can I?

2. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

You talking about graphics or features? All the new features including iOS 8 are everything I've wanted since iOS 5/6. I've wanted swipe to delete or mark as read for so long. It just seemed logical. All the new quick access, control panel (something I use 20 times a day), shortcuts, etc. are exactly what iOS needs to carry this OS forward.

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I disagree. While you may think iOS 6 was the pinnacle of design, most critics and a number of active users felt that iOS 6 was stale. There really hadn't been a design change since iOS's inception as iPhone OS. iOS 7 was a great balance of feel change without entirely changing the way the device runs (a la Windows Phone 7 Mango).

4. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

iOS has always done what I wanted and I never had a problem with it. It was always perfect for me and I couldn't be happier...until they announced iOS 7.

I have simply fallen in love with my iPhone - all over again. Its a like new phone, but one that I already know how to use.

iOS 6 and earlier, were great but all Apple was doing was refining it and refining it. Sure, previous iOS versions added important features such as Notification Centre, new Mapping solution, Folders, WiFi synching etc, but they never really took a major step in shaping the direction of iOS.

It's great that Apple has given it the boost it needed in 2013 and is now giving us more freedom in terms of third party software (keyboards/widgets).

5. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Seriously? My little guy still plays around on the original iPad 1. I cannot actually believe how anyone thought that OS was actually 'advanced' - quite frankly, it's ridiculous how much it has aged, in the light of iOS 7 (nevermind 8).

Bring back Forstall? Sure. For a reunion. 60 years from now. But to actually suggest that it all should be turned 'back' to how it was - madness.

6. I7guy macrumors P6

IOS 8 with it's new features, and updated as needed IOS 7 interface elements, has it all over IOS 6. IOS 6 looks clunky compared to IOS 7 and IOS 8.

7. bushido Suspended

bushido

first i didnt like the new iOS UI. then i looked at my old ipod touch for the furst time in a year and i was shocked how did we ever think it looked good lol so very dated

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

This is one of those 'kids and their new OS and gadgets. Get off my lawn' type threads.

9. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

So... You're telling me you'd rather have something like this?

Attached Files:

• iOS6.png
      iOS6.png
      File size:
      921.6 KB
      Views:
  10. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

All awesome and better features from iOS 7 & 8 aside, iOS 6 looks terribly old and awkward.
    I would never want to go back to iOS 6.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's just a rehashing of hundreds of threads that we already went through last year with iOS 7 when the interface actually changed. Thought we were done with it now that the interface is over a year old and there's nothing really new about it.

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Now that is a special kind of ugly.

13. laszlo182 macrumors regular

Oh, my eyes :mad: ...You have the point.

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

Damn straight, I do. In remembrance of Scott Forstall, my iPad 3 is running iOS 5 and it does it much better than Jony Ive's jumbled iOS 7/8 mess.

15. SusanK macrumors 68000

I miss him. I'm all about " it just works". Actually, I hesitate to upgrade hardware because I don't have patience for squirrelly software.

Cook would not get Forstall back if Forstall is even willing to consider it. Cook was still talking about Maps on the Charlie Rose interview when he wasn't hiding behind Steve.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Apple Maps surely "just worked". ;)

17. SusanK macrumors 68000

First iteration. That's the go to excuse for flaky software here, no? ;)

Does Maps work well now? I don't use Maps so I don't know.

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It works well for me. :) Of course, I am a male and if I were lost from Maps etc., I couldn't pull over and ask for directions lest my man card be revoked.

19. SusanK macrumors 68000

Good response. Thank you.

I've read that Maps in iOS 7 directed onto a runway in Alaska. I've also read that iOS 8 Maps directed into an ocean. Again, I've never used Maps so I have no clue. I hope that I would notice a large body of water before plunging my car into it. The access to a runway may fool me in certain weather conditions at night.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Things are better, but not as good as they should/could be even after all that time.

21. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

:mad::mad:

22. SusanK macrumors 68000

Thank you

23. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

No, I don't miss iOS 6. Not because iOS 7/8 looks better(it's all personal preference anyway), but because they added functionality that iOS needed.

24. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Design-wise iOS 7 & 8 are superior and if Forstall would've stayed, the OS wouldn't have got extensions, control centre and all these advancements... Heck, not even the Mountain Lion dock from two years ago.

Craig is the best thing to happen to Apple since Jony Ive.

25. Jayson A macrumors 68000

I really hated iOS 7 when I first saw it, but when I started using it, it really clicked with me and iOS 6 and below looks ridiculous now. Seriously. Ridiculous!

I like how the UI in iOS 7/8 gets out of your way so you can focus more on the content and not have most of your screen taken up by toolbars and icons.

I sort of miss drop shadows under the icons though, because some wallpapers require a little more contrast between the wallpaper and the icons if you don't want your icons to get lost.

Low-contrast wallpapers are the best to use in iOS 7/8. :)

Anyway, yeah, I like it now... hated it at first. Now I refuse to use anything that has that old ugly, clunky OS on it... it looks "classic". It's like comparing Mac OS X to Mac OS 9.

----------

I never understood that little "grip" handle that notification center had before iOS 7. It looks tacky.